Top Shelf Aquatics

Salinity tester - which specific model is best?

Nova Scotian

Nova Scotian

Hi, all. I have hit an equipment-purchasing wall, so to speak. I have deduced that the Vee Gee SXT-3 refractometer is the best one for reefers, but I haven’t found a Canadian store that carries them. I ordered the Hannah digital meter, but cancelled it because the reviews were up and down. Also, the Red Sea refractometer doesn’t have great reviews. Am I overthinking this? Would the Hannah meter be okay? Maybe it is fine because a tiny bit of error won’t harm inhabitants. I don’t want to spend what a Milwaukee costs, btw.

Milwaukee MA887 is only $100 where i'm at, and the hanna salinity checker runs around $75. The lfs I work at uses the hanna multiple times a day, we calibrate it weekly due to how often we use it to mix salt but its great.

Nova Scotian

Great, thanks guys. This helps a lot. Some items are important to splurge on, but it can be difficult to determine which ones those are. I’ll go with the Hanna or the refractometer you linked, PeterU.

I've been using the American Pinpoint salinity probe for a really long time ahs prefer it to the Milwaukee because you just dip it in and wait a minute to get your salinity. It also keeps its calibration for a very long time. It is a little more expensive though.

Definitely recommend the Milwaukee… best investment I’ve made in my tanks since it’s something one has to use all the time.

You calibrate with RODI or distilled, which you should already have on hand. With the Hannah one that you dip in the water I believe you have to purchase calibration packets.