Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Upgrading 2 tanks into 1

Hvalentino

Hi All,

I need some help with this… I saw @Clown79 was helping a lot of people so I might need to ask him probably… is it okay to combine 2 of tanks into 1? So I have 1 10gallon fully cycled, 2 months old, and also 7gallon the same age, everything is new, sand, live rocks, bio media and just did water change. Can I put all of that into the new tank? Sand, live rock, media filters and just add the fishes? My new tank is 40 gallon. 

NoOneLikesADryTang

It should be fine, but you may end up having a small cycle, mostly from the sand bed, however since your tanks are so young, I doubt that’d be an issue for you. 

Also, for what it’s worth @Clown79 is female, but she is very knowledgeable. 

16 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

It should be fine, but you may end up having a small cycle, mostly from the sand bed, however since your tanks are so young, I doubt that’d be an issue for you. 

Thank you!! I am prepared with some bacteria bottle, so I can put all the water from both tanks too correct? And sorry, yes hopefully she can help me 🙂

Combining 2 tanks worth of rock and livestock isn't an issue as long as all the fish are healthy and for example, you don't have dino in 1 of the tanks.

I usually advise washing sand or using all new sand with a few cups from the existing tank(s) without washing the cups of sand so that you have something to seed the new sand with.

Yes you can use the water from your tanks but you want to drainas much of the water out before pulling the rocks out. Once you remove the rocks, the remaining water is usually pretty nasty.

I documented my tank transfer in my lagoon journal, its very detailed but hopefully helpful

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Combining 2 tanks worth of rock and livestock isn't an issue as long as all the fish are healthy and for example, you don't have dino in 1 of the tanks.

I usually advise washing sand or using all new sand with a few cups from the existing tank(s) without washing the cups of sand so that you have something to seed the new sand with.

Yes you can use the water from your tanks but you want to drainas much of the water out before pulling the rocks out. Once you remove the rocks, the remaining water is usually pretty nasty.

I documented my tank transfer in my lagoon journal, its very detailed but hopefully helpful

Thank you!!! Oh noooo no dino… Thank God… So I’m guessing I need to add around 20 more gallon salt water with the same salinity and temp correct? Into the new tank? And add the remaining water from the old tanks? 

4 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

i think this is funny - "she's female, but she's very knowledgable." as if one might preclude the other 🙂

reminds me of my favorite Calvin Klein story. in the promotion for "contradiction" cologne for women, said something like "she's intelligent, yet beautiful." i laughed - as if those 2 were contradictory.

• Haha 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
2 minutes ago, rough eye said:

i think this is funny - "she's female, but she's very knowledgable." as if one might preclude the other 🙂

reminds me of my favorite Calvin Klein story. in the promotion for "contradiction" cologne for women, said something like "she's intelligent, yet beautiful." i laughed - as if those 2 were contradictory.

You’re taking this way out of context. The OP referred to her as a male, but that Clown seemed very helpful to new reefers, which she is. 

No reason to bring that woke nonsense to a hobby forum. We’re all friends here. You don’t need to try and stir up drama where there isn’t any. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

No reason to bring that woke nonsense to a hobby forum. We’re all friends here. You don’t need to try and stir up drama where there isn’t any. 

not sure what "woke nonsense" is, but i thought it was funny and thought others might smile. not trying to stir up drama. that story was from back around 2000.