Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Brand new hobbiest checking out the Fluval 13.5

Nova Scotian

Nova Scotian

Hi, all…. I have a second option, but it is a bit smaller…. I read that the glass is much better in this one. Any opinions on which to choose? I imagine it is up to personal preferences, but before taking the plunge, it is good to be informed.

C590498E-E6D6-41BB-BA48-BBA8A9CE3F91.png

42 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Hi, all…. I have a second option, but it is a bit smaller…. I read that the glass is much better in this one. Any opinions on which to choose? I imagine it is up to personal preferences, but before taking the plunge, it is good to be informed.

C590498E-E6D6-41BB-BA48-BBA8A9CE3F91.png

seems like a good setup you got there.  i can't speak for the NUVO Fusion either but i would think the preference would be if you favor the cube or peninsula style tanks.  

Bigals-nano-1

I can’t comment on this other tank as I have never seen one. One thing I noticed is you have a 1/4” RFG listed. The one that you would need for the evo is 1/2” for a single one. 

Nova Scotian

Thank you, everyone, for all the help. Trying to get the proper list is tricky, I’ll show you the final list once I think I’ve nailed it! The IM sale is very appealing….

• Like 3

I started with the Fluval 13 and upgraded to a Nuvo 20. I recommend you just start with the IM 10 and here is why:

1. I ended up upgrading EVERYTHING but the tank on the fluval, I kept nothing stock because the stock items were sub par unless you only wanted softies. The lid cut down evaporation but in the summer raises the temperatures greatly and there is no opening for you to be able to point a fan in unless you take off the back part of the hood anyways.
  2. There is another hobbiest who added lights inside the hood but because of how close the hood is to the water and the condensation, he had corrosion issues with the lights he added which were supposed to be water proof but clearly weren't enough.
  3. The IM tanks in my opinion are sleeker, the stock pump is strong out of the box and the back chamber lay out is better (no back all hole to plug, better chamber sizes, easier to customize down the road)
  4. More tank made accessories available - IM has great purpose built accessories for their tanks. I just got the newest IM desktop protein skimmer for my tank and it's been an absolute pleasure right out of the box. And they have many other accessories which you know will fit in your back sump
  5. If you are buying it new, their new pro screen lids are sleek so you don't have to build your own screen top whether that be a DIY or something like the red sea screen lids (which are crazy expensive for what it is but looks sleeker then the DIY ones) 

You can check out my journal thread to see what I had going on in both my fluval and my IM 20, it might help with your decisions.

• Like 2
Nova Scotian

In my excitement, I have my list ready. I just need to slow down because everything is going to require a lot of waiting.

Please feel free to tell me if I have made any mistakes!

4E5E50C5-3310-4C22-91BA-2662FEE6D35B.png

A4CB863C-9FC8-45E3-A79B-B26B4673F01F.png

I think it looks like a terrific list! Also both aquarium depot and reef supplies are local Canadian businesses so much better to support them than Amazon!

You're missing a heater and you might want to consider a controller for the heater like an inkbird which will do an audible alarm when something is out of whack. I have an inkbird that turns on the heater when it's getting too cold and turns on a little fan I have when it's getting too hot here in Toronto. 

And then when you have funds, to lower your daily maintenance, an auto top off is your best friend but you can 100% manually top up until you have the funds for that tool.

I see you have the inTank fuge basket for chamber 2. I have a mini fuge running in my IM20 and use this light. I love it because it comes with velco pieces so I was able to secure it right to the back glass and you can just cut out a rectangle on the back cover exactly where you need to mount the light and have next to zero light spill from the fuge light. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, mipster said:

Also both aquarium depot and reef supplies are local Canadian businesses so much better to support them than Amazon!

I have had great service from Reef Supplies and Fragbox (website not updated as well as Reef Supplies) shipping west to Alberta. Have never used Aquarium Depot.

Nova Scotian

I’m not sure, I’m going to start with water from my lfs. I know that is questionable, but for a small tank, I want to see how much water I go through.

• Like 1

that's a good start.  LFS usually has RO/DI water available.  If you have a Petco near you, they also sell Pacific Ocean sea water in a 5 gallon box/bagged.  If you going to mix your own with Reef crystals or something then you should be able to get a way with distilled water/purified water from the grocery store.  

• Like 1
Nova Scotian

I have a small reef store near me, and they have proper fresh and salt water. I can start there, and it’ll be awhile before the tank gets water in it! I’ve just ordered it.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

I have a small reef store near me, and they have proper fresh and salt water. I can start there, and it’ll be awhile before the tank gets water in it! I’ve just ordered it.

That's so exciting!! Welcome to the IM club lol Do you have any stocking plans yet?

Nova Scotian

Thanks! Oh, stocking… I’m just starting to think about that. I’ll start with some beginner corals, but I want vibrant colour, and a bit Of movement. I’d like some interesting CUC inhabitants, something to seek when looking in the tank. There is a specific clownfish pattern I like, I’ll have to look it up again, can’t remember the name. 1 clown, and 1 goby of some sort or maybe a fire fish or royal gramma…. I will start thinking about it for sure!

ive been thinking about where to out the tank. I have a Besta piece from IKEA and I hope the tank will be able to stay on it. I’m not sure, though, with the weight.

4 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

I have a Besta piece from IKEA and I hope the tank will be able to stay on it. I’m not sure, though, with the weight.

I'm not sure on the Besta, But I had my IM 20 on a Kallax for a year with no trouble.

When it comes time for you to start shopping, I really recommend this guy! He ships nation wide and has really stunning corals for great prices. https://gtareef.ca/ My fave place to go shopping.

On 8/15/2021 at 7:07 PM, Nova Scotian said:

I have a Besta piece from IKEA and I hope the tank will be able to stay on it. I’m not sure, though, with the weight.

I just started my own Fluval EVO 13.5 which is sitting on a new Besta purchased for this purpose. It is rated for 50lbs but my mechanical engineer wife tells me that rating likely has a 4X safety factor built in.

Nova Scotian

Oooooh, awesome! I love it on the Besta, now I need to know how far the salt creep might go. My tv is also on the Same piece. @bravotango, do you have any pics? Or maybe a journal? I’d love to see it 😀

15 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Oooooh, awesome! I love it on the Besta, now I need to know how far the salt creep might go. My tv is also on the Same piece. @bravotango, do you have any pics? Or maybe a journal? I’d love to see it 😀

If it's how you have it in your other thread, I wouldn't think twice about. Doesn't look to be an issue to me.

Nova Scotian

Yes, it’s the pic in my other thread. This is great, because when I’m on the couch, cooking, or eating (open concept), the aquarium will be right there to constantly look over at. Thanks, guys😄

18 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

This is a terrible photo taken on day 1 of the tank, but I think it will give you an idea.

Ikea furniture like the Besta is high density fiberboard and MDF. It's stout stuff, but water is its kryptonite.

As you can see, we put the optional glass top from Ikea on the Besta to protect it against water damage on the top. What you can't see is the under sink organizer from Target inside the cabinet to protect the Besta against leaks from the ATO tank and water. We also purchased some aftermarket legs and a door veneer to make it look less like a piece of Ikea furniture.

No journal. That's not really my thing.

20210817_144237915_iOS.jpg

filefishfinatic
On 8/12/2021 at 3:22 PM, Nova Scotian said:

Hello, all. Years ago, I spent countless hours researching for a nano reef, but I didn’t have the funds yet for such a hobby. Now, I am able to divert some money to a reef. I don’t want more than 15 gallons, and I am not good at cutting, fitting, etc. to make diy improvements.

I think I would like to get the Fluval EVO 13.5…. It seems to be the AIO that I’m seeing the least problems with on the forum (other than very expensive setups). I’m wondering what upgrades people suggest, because a bare 10 gallon and a diy refugium/sump might be better cost-wise. 

I’m pretty sure some actinics are a really good addition, so I will look up what others have done to add theirs. Other than that, I’m not sure what most people find they don’t like about the Fluval 13.5. Any recommendations would be gladly received! Things have changed around here since I last came, so I have to try to brush up on the information. For example, we don’t need as much rock as we used to.

Thanks,

Melissa

dont do a bare bottom sterile tank with dry rock but i would say your best bet for as much enjoyment would be 20 long (not much bigger than a 15, would be ccheaper then a specialized tank) 30$ digiten ato 50$ distilled water or lfs rodi and premix(cheaper than equivalent quality rodi), 50 gallons of instant ocean is like 10$. salty bottom kit (10 gal)+ another bag of sand (fiji pink) ~ 150 idk shipping exactly but id say like 175 with shipping. you get a cuc live rock and sand. add some coral skeletons/ dry rock if you wana add more structure. aqqa magnetic pump 20$ viparspectra 140$ random generic hob for 40-70gal 30$. heater aqueon 100w 15$. refractometer 20$. no plumbing simple deep nitrate reduction bed. you should be ready for fish in 1 week. this is basically what i got except different light and rock and i dont have a powerhead because i keep filefish. 

filefishfinatic
On 8/15/2021 at 1:49 PM, Nova Scotian said:

In my excitement, I have my list ready. I just need to slow down because everything is going to require a lot of waiting.

Please feel free to tell me if I have made any mistakes!

4E5E50C5-3310-4C22-91BA-2662FEE6D35B.png

A4CB863C-9FC8-45E3-A79B-B26B4673F01F.png

this hobby shouldnt take forever. get 20 lb fiji pink, 10 gal live rock kit salty bottom and refractometer and water and stuff and ur set. vipar is cheaper and 3x more powerful then prime but prime is more user friendly. 

Nova Scotian

@bravotango, I like what you did with your Besta door! I will get the glass top for mine, or find some way to protect the top. Thank you for showing it! 

I may as well show a pic here of that I have, so that it kind of resolves my conundrum as to which tank to get!

IM Nuvo 20 with the AI Prime light. I wanted to start with decent equipment to try to reduce annoyance as I learn how to reef.

890F56A8-8995-4D6D-946F-B6939A39924F.jpeg

9E1825A8-6411-46CF-8BAD-5D3DDD455025.jpeg

• Like 2