Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tritone’s Tyrrhenia

Tritone

48 minutes ago, less than bread said:

If I saw that fish I’d have to get it too. Absolutely stunning!

Cain has got an anemone now that I’ve introduced yesterday and it’s doing fine. Bubble tips and all. Except it decided to stay put at the bottom of the tank in a corner and Cain doesn’t venture there.

I’m hoping it goes for a wander and finds a “better spot” but from what I hear, no chance.

Last resort I’ll have to put it in a anemone cup but I won’t stress it just yet.

On 7/7/2021 at 3:26 PM, Tritone said:

image.thumb.jpeg.247a0bde16ccda8e43ae47e8609132b8.jpeg

Pridie Ides Jvlivs. Dies Mercvrii - Wednesday 14th July 2021

Feeding time at Tyrrhenia.

The whole family out. Anemone seems to have found its ideal spot, and that suits me well. It looks quite healthy and happy to me. It bubbles up in the late afternoon and it’s a voracious eater of prawns. 
Clown unfortunately shows no interest whatsoever. I’ve tried to gently guide it towards it but won’t have it.

As a Maroon is incredibly peaceful and docile. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here heard of the concept of Macrocosm and Microcosm?
in a nutshell it refers to the doings of humans as a minute copy of bigger and complex things that happen have happened and will happen regardless of our contribution.

I mention this for inspiration to us all in this humble hobby that want to recreate oceanic life in our various sized tanks.

Good night.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Tritone said:

it looks pretty but is it actually bleaching?

Yes, looks like it's bleaching.  It probably needs better lighting (I'm not sure what you have, or what settings it is set to).  I might increase its food a little as well.

22 hours ago, seabass said:

Yes, looks like it's bleaching.  It probably needs better lighting (I'm not sure what you have, or what settings it is set to).  I might increase its food a little as well.

Stock lights of Biocube 32. I’ve increased times to 8 hours on full, plus Dawn, Dusk and Moon.

I’m going to get algae but I’ll deal with that introducing a skimmer. 
The problem is also the Anemone decided to stick in a sheltered part of rock. I’ve moved once to the top but it returned in the crevice. 

Ok, I have a plan. My aquascaping is going to expand, I’ve ordered 5lb Carebsea liferock. With it I’m going to construct a tower with a cradle at the top. There I will rehouse anemone to be closer to lights. 

The middle chamber with Chaeto and Copepods didn’t work. Chaeto died etc. In retrospect it didn’t make sense to have a sump past filtration. Ridiculous I now realise. But it’s a learning curve. However I’d hate to see fish and invertebrates die because of me and so they will always come first. 

it appears to me that a skimmer is now needed. I only feed twice a day and despite my effort to only put in what’s being eaten waste happens. My cleaner shrimp seems to be more interested in joining the fish at meal time than scavenge. 
Water is good but debris is visible. 
Yes, skimmer is going in and replacing the pointless sump.

What else, my basic parameters are very good with only Nitrate fluctuating. Never too high and again skimmer will help a lot.

Then I’m going to start checking reef parameters closely. In preparation for a colony of Zoas. 
Rome wasn’t built in a day. 

X

10 hours ago, Tritone said:

My cleaner shrimp seems to be more interested in joining the fish at meal time than scavenge. 

They never do.  I don't consider them as part of my cleanup crew; although they will eat food off of the substrate (while many fish will not).

They are called cleaner shrimp because they will clean parasites off of other fish (and not because they clean up the tank).  Fish usually allow these shrimp to perform this service.

• Like 1