SaltCritters.com

Tritone’s Tyrrhenia

Tritone

Murphs_Reef
51 minutes ago, Tritone said:

It’s an American sealed plug. 

Depends on how you feel about wiring but I would whip it off and replace... But they use different colours so caution needed... (in fact they don't spell color very well 😂 ) and I would down amp the fuse as well... it will go against the product warranty.. writing it down actually.... Just get a new pump 🤣🤣

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Murphych said:

Depends on how you feel about wiring but I would whip it off and replace... But they use different colours so caution needed... (in fact they don't spell color very well 😂 ) and I would down amp the fuse as well... it will go against the product warranty.. writing it down actually.... Just get a new pump 🤣🤣

I thought as much and Sicce Silent 2.0 is on its way.  🙂 

• Like 1

Water temperature in Thyrrenia has reached 30c. With tank heater and wave maker off. As it’s in the middle of main cycle or “seeding” this is of no concern. No creature is dwelling in Venus’s waters. Lol

Local temperatures are in the high 20s centigrade in Britain and it was not historically built for it. Global warming is not a lie.

However, although this will occur a handful of days in a year in the Midlands of England, happen it will. So I’m looking ahead at when, in summer 2022 temperatures will occasionally rise enough to simmer the inhabitants of my little sunken city. 
Tank chillers at first glance look like a rather expensive option. Especially if they’re only going to be used a total of 10 days in a whole year. 
What do others do? 

Murphs_Reef
4 minutes ago, Tritone said:

Water temperature in Thyrrenia has reached 30c. With tank heater and wave maker off. As it’s in the middle of main cycle or “seeding” this is of no concern. No creature is dwelling in Venus’s waters. Lol

Local temperatures are in the high 20s centigrade in Britain and it was not historically built for it. Global warming is not a lie.

However, although this will occur a handful of days in a year in the Midlands of England, happen it will. So I’m looking ahead at when, in summer 2022 temperatures will occasionally rise enough to simmer the inhabitants of my little sunken city. 
Tank chillers at first glance look like a rather expensive option. Especially if they’re only going to be used a total of 10 days in a whole year. 
What do others do? 

Yeah I was shocked today. Had to get a desk fan blowing on the sump to cool it down. It was 31°c in stoke today. So a little warmer than usual for July 

1 minute ago, Murphych said:

Yeah I was shocked today. Had to get a desk fan blowing on the sump to cool it down. It was 31°c in stoke today. So a little warmer than usual for July 

Did you manage to bring tank temperature down?

18 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Yeah a bit it was 26°c just after 17:00 so a little over what I usually run at (25°c) but not bad.. i usually catch it on time but we where in the garden all day and I forgot to check.  

Ah, I live in the garden. Are you from Stoke or just reside there?

10 hours ago, Tritone said:

What do others do? 

I either keep a load of RODI in ice cubes in the freezer, or a few 1 litre bottles of water in the freezer (in previous years the cats and the bunny as well as the lidded tanks appreciated this) i usually place the bottles  in the filtration but need to find some smaller ones or even cheap freezer pops for the Fluval 

• Like 1
On 7/19/2021 at 9:58 AM, Ratvan said:

I either keep a load of RODI in ice cubes in the freezer, or a few 1 litre bottles of water in the freezer (in previous years the cats and the bunny as well as the lidded tanks appreciated this) i usually place the bottles  in the filtration but need to find some smaller ones or even cheap freezer pops for the Fluval 

My ice cubes got devoured in 5 seconds and temperature remained 30.5c.

Not an issue as it’s still cycling. Ammonia going down and Nitrite going up. Apart from heat all going to plan with Tyrrhenia.

Looking ahead, …… far ahead. I wanted to put Chaeto in its Intank refugium. Bearing in mind I want to keep the lid on, what sort of add on light can I put in there? Are there any submersible ones?

I know that Tunze do a submersible Refugium Light, i think its the Eco Chic or something?

Whats the rear of the tank look like? If its glass could you attach a light on the outside of the tank shining through? Thats what i'm currently debating doing with my Fluval but that section of my tank is glass so will work 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I know that Tunze do a submersible Refugium Light, i think its the Eco Chic or something?

Whats the rear of the tank look like? If its glass could you attach a light on the outside of the tank shining through? Thats what i'm currently debating doing with my Fluval but that section of my tank is glass so will work 

Hi

Yes, the back has clear glass. I too was thinking of attaching a light. I saw the following on eBay and I’m contemplating.

image.jpeg.61d33d14f6aedbee733ca483a5779dee.jpeg

However I’m still having heat issues. Today’s temperature outside is about 25c. Not uncomfortable inside and yet tank temp with heater off for 4 days has reached. 27.3 already. Ok, not quite danger zone yet but too close. Wave maker is also off. and feeder hatch is open. I’m beginning to think the return pump Sicce 2 is heating the water…..

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Tritone said:

Hi

Yes, the back has clear glass. I too was thinking of attaching a light. I saw the following on eBay and I’m contemplating.

image.jpeg.61d33d14f6aedbee733ca483a5779dee.jpeg

However I’m still having heat issues. Today’s temperature outside is about 25c. Not uncomfortable inside and yet tank temp with heater off for 4 days has reached. 27.3 already. Ok, not quite danger zone yet but too close. Wave maker is also off. and feeder hatch is open. I’m beginning to think the return pump Sicce 2 is heating the water…..

Yeah anything with moving parts will create some friction which leads to heat, so the Sicce will be heating ever so slightly. Good call on the Dyson fan 

• Like 1

Warm waters, too much light and the Biocube skimmer popped. Guess what happens?

Cyanobacteria of course.

Blue Life Cyano RX on its way. But I have got to find a skimmer to fit in chamber 1.

Does Chaeto help with nutrients meanwhile? 

I’m currently dealing with Cyanobacteria. I’ve already learnt two things:

1) Feeding a new tank’s early inhabitants is difficult. There’s probably only one or two creatures and they end up over fed and tank’s protein level will rise in consequence creating algae. At this stage one is also dealing with lighting, how much is healthy how much is too much!
I have learnt to feed my Gramma what she needs and no more with a pipette. Bit by bit I gave her as much as she can eat. When she stops being voracious. Stop. Chances are any more will end up to the Hermits or Shrimp.

Also, all pumps OFF when feeding.

2) In the early stages without Corals, less is more. Lol. Keep light off when cycling and minimum when introducing first fish… which should always be the shy one of the future group.

Only keep Moon and dusk on later with a couple of hours only of daylight. 
The extra Natural light from your window will do the rest.

3) Someone on this forum mentioned using high flows towards bottom of tank to help with Cyano. He’s kind of been rubbished by many quoting the existence of this bacteria in ocean with its currents etc etc. 
Well, it is working in my tank. I’ve received the medicine today and I might use it to make sure, but it is retreating. 

I have not used the medication to kill Cyanobacteria. The Turban Snails have licked the rocks clean. 
I will introduce a Bubbletip Anemone when I find the “right one” lol.

So that presumably it will have found its location by the time I start adding Coral.

Next fish to go in will be a Watchman Goby and a Blue Chromis. Last to go in will be a Wrasse and a Clownfish.

You may be wondering why I’m adding a Clownfish at the end… or maybe you’ve already guessed. I’m going to try a Maroon.

God help me. Lol

Parameters have been good and stable with 0 Ammonia and Nitrite and Nitrate sitting between 5 and 10 ppm.

Ph on 7.9/8.0

Salinity on 1.025

I calculate the actual water as 100 litres (calculating loss of volume because of Rocks and Sand) so although I water changed about 25% a week after cycle I’m going for 10% weekly from now on. Will keep an eye to see if this is enough or not.

I’ve got Chaeto in main tank waiting to go to refugium as soon as I fit light at the back. Now, because the inTank box is open on two sides I was thinking of putting it into a lady’s stocking to keep both algae and Copepods secure from return pump. 
Is this a good idea?

Are there any other tests I should I should run on water beside the fore mentioned ones? 

Many thanks

Murphs_Reef

Yeah that all sounds fine mate.. 

As regards testing I think your set for now..

Watch out for the water changes and only do them when you need to fix something though.. I don't like to do any at all unless I really need to..

2 hours ago, Murphych said:

Yeah that all sounds fine mate.. 

As regards testing I think your set for now..

Watch out for the water changes and only do them when you need to fix something though.. I don't like to do any at all unless I really need to..

I know, they’re a pain but can be simplified. I have bought a small electric pump that will suck water out of tank, and also clean sand etc. But can also be used in reverse to put new water in. Water changes take no more than 20 minutes.

It’s not a perfect tool but helps a lot. X