SaltCritters.com

the salty puddle

M. Tournesol

I am sorry that this journal tank is turning into Koumansetta rainfordi journal but this fish is just too lovely 🥰.

I am still astonished by the fact that I have enough pods population in this 8 gallon to sustain this goby.

2066205372_Capturedcran2021-11-1411_06_21.thumb.png.cf84a9405c37d3d9c3983254ed9e674e.png

• Like 4

The coral is a goner. It is sad for my first coral death to be my only Acropora.

IMG_4139.thumb.png.ff9a7b31d9e9b3928cbb3be5e031bc70.png

The worst is that I think it would be a living coral if I didn't move him into a high flow area. As a beginner, I still don't understand what is too much or not enough flow. The signs were there. It has been more than three weeks since the last time that I did see polyps extensions. My mind was blocked on the idea that SPS need strong flow and that a coral needs time to adapt to a news location 🤦‍♂️.

My tank will not have a new coral introduced. I may add one zoanthids and stop adding sessile invertebrates. Its goal was to introduce me to the reef hobby and start growing the Pocilloporidae for the next tank of 30~40 gallon. The new tank should be set during my move (in 4~7 months).

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
5 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

The coral is a goner. It is sad for my first coral death to be my only Acropora.

IMG_4139.thumb.png.ff9a7b31d9e9b3928cbb3be5e031bc70.png

The worst is that I think it would be a living coral if I didn't move him into a high flow area. As a beginner, I still don't understand what is too much or not enough flow. The signs were there. It has been more than three weeks since the last time that I did see polyps extensions. My mind was blocked on the idea that SPS need strong flow and that a coral needs time to adapt to a news location 🤦‍♂️.

My tank will not have a new coral introduced. I may add one zoanthids and stop adding sessile invertebrates. Its goal was to introduce me to the reef hobby and start growing the Pocilloporidae for the next tank of 30~40 gallon. The new tank should be set during my move (in 4~7 months).

That one tip that is still green & has flesh - I *think you can quickly snip it off and salvage it somehow, provided the underside of it also has flesh. 

I did this with my neon spongodes and managed to save it. Might be worth a shot. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

That one tip that is still green & has flesh - I *think you can quickly snip it off and salvage it somehow, provided the underside of it also has flesh. 

I did this with my neon spongodes and managed to save it. Might be worth a shot. 🤷‍♀️

I don't think it will work but I lose nothing by trying 👍

IMG_4140.thumb.png.7cb1e87985d4106245bedecfacc500af.png

• Like 7
filefishfinatic
On 8/25/2021 at 2:10 PM, Subsea said:

Welcome to the dirty side of Reefing.  I prefer the term “nutrient rich”.   I caution you on keeping such low nitrogen in your water. In time you will find that desirable macro & coral will be outcompeted by dinos & cyno, which have highly adaptive nutrient survival mechanisms.

your writing style & sense of humor are refreshing.  Keep it coming.

im struggling a bit with dino right now. is there any good way to add nitrogen to the tank without paying for dosing equipment? i could add fertilizer but i dont know how much to add. its nilocg thrive and it has like 3 ppm nitrate at a full dose 

filefishfinatic
On 9/27/2021 at 1:02 PM, M. Tournesol said:

Little GIF of my roommates 😊 (sorry for the goby 💩)

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif.652e6e8f30d01f99eeb3fdffaa34e64a.gif

that video is incredible. i think i might get those 2 fish for my 10 gallon. i think that its really easy to keep a large pod population in small tanks, i run my tank somewhat dirty and i am considerijng adding 20 lbs of crushed coral along with my 40 lbs of fiji pink, in my 20 gallon high, my scorpionfish (neovespicula depressifrons) has never eaten anything except pods and he is so cool to watch eat all the pods in the tank 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, filefishfinatic said:

im struggling a bit with dino right now. is there any good way to add nitrogen to the tank without paying for dosing equipment? i could add fertilizer but i dont know how much to add. its nilocg thrive and it has like 3 ppm nitrate at a full dose 

Just dose it by hand.. you don't need a doser for NO3 and PO4. You typically add these once a day. 

• Like 1
filefishfinatic
13 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Just dose it by hand.. you don't need a doser for NO3 and PO4. You typically add these once a day. 

i wasnt going to use a doser, i just wanted to know how much to add because i dont want to put in like 4 doses of it which would be like 12 ppm nitrate just to ease my nitrate up then i get a stupid amount pf phosphate 

Nilocg Thrive is an all-in-one planted tank fertilizer. It has both nitrate and phosphate as well as a ton of other things, including copper which is toxic to inverts.

Use a pure potassium nitrate and pure sodium phosphate, either DIY food grade or a reef specific additive.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, filefishfinatic said:

i wasnt going to use a doser, i just wanted to know how much to add because i dont want to put in like 4 doses of it which would be like 12 ppm nitrate just to ease my nitrate up then i get a stupid amount pf phosphate 

It should have some math equation on the Boyle to figure it out. I know mine does. 

Final verdict, the colony is dead. The "tip" only lived 2 days longer than the rest of the colony 🙁(it RTN this night).

On 11/16/2021 at 11:43 AM, M. Tournesol said:

I don't think it will work but I lose nothing by trying 👍

IMG_4140.thumb.png.7cb1e87985d4106245bedecfacc500af.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 9:13 PM, M. Tournesol said:

My raspberry-pi controlled dosing system is determined. Not cheaper but much more fun.

IMG_4035.thumb.png.74d71298b4b9773b30c939d8836580b6.png

Every night it updates its values by looking at a google sheet.

549031686_Capturedcran2021-10-1920_44_26.thumb.png.dcbc2ad89f869dc7d11fc797671c002c.png

Last night i noticed that my bottle of salt without salt was empty 😬. This is not a good news since she contained one years of dosing (500ml)...

I don't know what could be the cause... the corals seem ok (but this could be one of the factor of the STN of the Acropora).

Luckily it was not the Kh or Ca bottle 😨

• Wow 1

One of my two cyprea annulus is dead. The shell is undamaged, thus it shouldn't be the mantis.

It may be because of the "salt without salt" overdosing. After testing, I think the overdosing was due to gravity. the bottle was previously above the tank. I think that one the position of the dosing pump the liquid can slowly flow out. Now that the bottle is below the tank I wouldn't want for the liquid to flow back into it. Could a simple check valve do the trick?

anti-retour.jpg

• Like 1
filefishfinatic

this is one of my favorite nano tanks. great job so far. you have dealt with all this adversity yet you still keep going. your fish are thriving in there and you turned all your troubles into opprutunity to make your tank even cooler lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Liquid should not be able to pass a peristaltic pump head when the pump is not operating. If you are getting leakage through you may need to change the tubing or the whole head. It certainly won't be accurate if it's leaking.

28 minutes ago, Maas101 said:

Liquid should not be able to pass a peristaltic pump head when the pump is not operating. If you are getting leakage through you may need to change the tubing or the whole head. It certainly won't be accurate if it's leaking.

Thanks,

Since it a jebao dosing pump 🤷‍♂️, the accuracy isn't the best from the get-go. The leak must be due to the fact that the tubing isn't tautened enough, thus I may solve the problem by simply pulling on the tubing of the dosing head.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Tuesday, I will receive an alpheus bellutus. I did make this order knowing that I would soon remove the Gonodactylus smithii.

The problem, Since the removal of the  stomatopod, I keep earring the snapping of pistol shrimp in the aquarium 😑. Is the alpheus randalli still alive, or is it the sound of the heater or an air bubble?

I am going bonker 🤪.  I do not know if I should try to contact the online seller tomorrow morning. 

For the time being, I am all ears out 👂.