ReefCleaners.org

Leo_ian

so my beloved royal gramma of nearly 4 years is probably on her deathbed. she has always lived with ich but ate well. today, she stopped being interested in food and ate less and less, her slime coat started fading and she became emacicated, this started a few days ago, i thought she might bounce back from her starvation. pics will be posted later as she is hiding

• Sad 1

That looks more like Brook: 

A 5 min freshwater dip or 30 minute peroxide bath will provide temporary relief, but afterwards I would treat in a QT using Seachem Metroplex. There is more information on all of the aforementioned treatments here: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 4:21 AM, Leo_ian said:

so my beloved royal gramma of nearly 4 years is probably on her deathbed. she has always lived with ich

!!??

No bearing on the immediate treatment, but you have to take care of the underlying problem to move forward in a real way....there's no good reason that a fish should live with ich for years.

Coming home with ich is one thing....fish are stressed when you get them.

But once a fish is in it's home reef where everything is under your control, it should be able to permanently clear something like ich in a short amount of time once its stress level goes down (which takes time) and it's full immunity power returns.

What other fish are in the tank?  

And what changes has the tank been through (including livestock) over those four years?

(Do you have a tank thread where you've documented any of the history?)

• Like 1
17 hours ago, mcarroll said:

!!??

No bearing on the immediate treatment, but you have to take care of the underlying problem to move forward in a real way....there's no good reason that a fish should live with ich for years.

Coming home with ich is one thing....fish are stressed when you get them.

But once a fish is in it's home reef where everything is under your control, it should be able to permanently clear something like ich in a short amount of time once its stress level goes down (which takes time) and it's full immunity power returns.

What other fish are in the tank?  

And what changes has the tank been through (including livestock) over those four years?

(Do you have a tank thread where you've documented any of the history?)

she has passed away, i usually leave the fish alone at first signs of illness to not over stress them, so they can heal on their own, but if they start showing signs of distress i will put them in qt

both fish were with a male lubbocki

livestock has gone through a lot, including my stupid 12 year old self overstocking the tank with cromis, had borbodious anthias, lots of damsels and clowns, three redstripe cardinals, 

• Sad 1