Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

CBO's 15g/biocube Journal

crashburnoveride

crashburnoveride

I'm considering moving the location of the tank to the corner of the room.

20210207_114725-picsay.thumb.jpg.738d60efce363313171c0d5ee7ea7134.jpg

What I like about this is 1) I can see it from the living room couch. 2) there is space behind the tank for hang on equipment. I am thinking of creating my own hang on fuge with acrylic.  Should be a fun project.  

I cant decide what to do about light. Use what I have or buy a hipargero or nicrew LED... More than likely I'll just use what i have and run the MH for like 1 or 2 hours a day. 🤷‍♂️ I lowered the price on my light to $80 and still not much interest. Using my light I'd weld up some kind of arm to suspend it above the tank. 

Poured this last night.

20210210_182142.thumb.jpg.24fa6dfc4ea60c928273acbe876b6b2e.jpg

Hopefully it turns out nice! 

-CBO

• Like 1
crashburnoveride
4 hours ago, Lypto said:

I like acrylic as it's lighter usually and less fragile. Plus it insulates if its thick ish, and it's clear without a green tint like window glass. 

I'd probably use 1/4" with a 19" span from back to front. Hoping it wouldn't bow downward?? What I like about acrylic is I can order the size I need and cut holes for equipment/cords, and match the bow in the front of the biocube easily at home. I understand glass is easier to clean and harder to scratch. How often do you clean your acrylic lid @Lypto?

-CBO

I just wipe it off with a damp paper towel every two weeks or so for salt creep, water condenses on it quite a bit from evaporation. It's about 11'x11' at 1/4th thickness so theres only a tiny bit of bending, maybe 1/8in at the bottom of the depression. I just like that I don't have to worry about it breaking or scratching my glass. Acrylic is pretty easy to cut and drill, and if you don't mind a little diy you can cut a support for the lid out of the excess acrylic and glue it with acrylic fuser. Glass is more scratch resistant and a good choice either way.  I've cut both and glass was certainly more difficult but less bend and a little neater after some sanding. 

crashburnoveride

It sucks that 1/4" will still bend to some degree. Probably gonna pursue glass for the display part and use black acrylic to cover the aio part. 

Update on the concrete top. 

20210212_205053.thumb.jpg.a648554537cf53a9e15e3956e61e3fd4.jpg

It turned out pretty good. I didnt mix quite enough on the first go. My 2nd mixture to top off the mold was too wet unfortunately. So the bottom 1/8" of it is very brittle and will easily chip around the edges. So this piece will be turned into some kind of outdoor table near the firepit or something. I was able to cleanup and reassemble the mold. I plan to pour another slab today with the rapid set mortar mix.

I have a new video out on the new tank and building the stand. Here it is if you'd like to check it out. 

-CBO

crashburnoveride

This weather is ridiculous!!! It's -26° F out right now! I setup an old webcam next to my tank yesterday so I can check in on my clownfish while I'm at work.  

20210216_081350.thumb.jpg.3597fad60edf7577668c7bc92ef27a0f.jpg

He's still swimming around. They're talking about shutting off the power for up to 90 minutes at a time around my city. This is not good!! So if I cant view my webcam I'll know the powers off. Stay warm everyone!

-CBO

• Like 1

Great new tank! Sweet refrebish job! Hope the rolling power cuts dont affect the tank and life too much! 

Lots of news on TX right now. Sounds like you've got a Canadian winter on your hands, eh! Hope your doing well.

• Like 1
crashburnoveride

I bought this snail last night and it has barnacles on it. Should I remove them? I don't want them multiplying out of hand in the tank. 

1893902536_Screenshot_20210219-151002_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.3db9f00f6ca3f4c6746c78b33e012526.jpg

whatta y'all think?

-CBO

oh, close encounters of the blurred kind 🙂

I cant positively ID that, but I think it'll be fine. Off-hand it looks like somekinda feather duster, which are not invasive. Some people even pay money to put them in their aquariums. Its a crazy world ,) I joke, but folks like Aqua Splendor on this site have insanely cool reefs with animals like that.  

crashburnoveride

Hello fam. Soooo something happened (of course) and I will actually be stopping this thread. I should have named the thread Murphys law tank build. I'll be making a new one so be on the lookout for CBO's next adventure. If you wanna know the details refer to this video. It also shows the completed stand. It turned out great!

It's been real. It's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun. 😆 

-CBO