Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval evo 13.5 Progress

SergeantStatic

SergeantStatic

This is my just over a year old fluval evo , it was started around the 14-15th September of 2019.

The tank has been few a few ups and downs and at one point I had to completely restart (around July)

Everything in the tank apart from the fish and a few rocks are brand new , I just decided to take out all the rocks and sand due to a stupidly bad algae problem and start again.

Im currently running an AI prime 16HD on David Saxbys settings and a nero 3 which has random flow 24/7

I also have duct taped the original fluval light onto the first chamber to make a DIY refugium with a bit of chaeto
No skimmer , No UV , No dosing , just an ATO heater and pump in the back chambers.

I would say I have around 40 different frags of coral in the tank right now , it is completely mixed.
I also have 2 bubble tip anemones , 1 rose and 1 more yellow / rainbow.

Il try post updates every month or so just to keep tally of how its doing.

frontviewtank.jpg

sideshottank.jpg

gifoftank.gif

EDIT:

Forgot to mention husbandry , dosing or feeding

Currently I feed pellets twice a day and reef roids 2 times a week
I dose Red sea AB+ every day according to the recommended amount
I dont dose anything like magnesium calc , alk I just have an ATO full of rodi
and I do a 20-25% waterchange every week

• Like 2
SergeantStatic
24 minutes ago, seabass said:

Looking forward to seeing progress.  But I imagine those BTAs taking over the tank.  Any thoughts of upsizing it?

Hello , Im planning on upgrading to a 50g later down the line in around may 
Im currently not feeding the BTAs but I am monitoring them very closely , most of my corals are on the sandbed / frag rack or that high rock some of the sps are all on, so they have alot of space to work with.

looking good... 

just as a note point... might not be the same for you but I ran the saxby programme for a while, and got really bad algae issues. Turned out it was far too powerful. I started to run on acclimatisation mode to reduce the intensity and saw almost immediate improvement regarding algae. After that I changed to a custom set up and now have much less of an algae problem and good coral growth. 

• Like 1
SergeantStatic
8 minutes ago, afcajax73 said:

looking good... 

just as a note point... might not be the same for you but I ran the saxby programme for a while, and got really bad algae issues. Turned out it was far too powerful. I started to run on acclimatisation mode to reduce the intensity and saw almost immediate improvement regarding algae. After that I changed to a custom set up and now have much less of an algae problem and good coral growth. 

Il take note of this , currently I have no algae in my display tank and Im barely getting any on the glass , maybe its because I have a chaeto chamber?
either way I am aware its a powerful setting and Im being wary of it , not only for algae but for coral bleaching

• Like 1
SergeantStatic
14 minutes ago, afcajax73 said:

hey, if it's working... it's working! 🙂 I usually find with this hobby that what fits for one doesn't always fit for all! 

haha yeah lol

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
SergeantStatic

Update - Few changes since last post.

got rid of both the BTAs and changed the scape and glued most of the corals down onto the rocks.

Changed tank to make it into the true peninsula to make more rooms for corals.

Few more coral frags - my favorites are my new torch and rainbow tenius acropora.

In the pics the alveopora is a bit closed since I had just repositioned it since it fell off.
Hopefully going to get 2 or 3 more acropora frags of some sort in the near future but so far its going great.

Also added a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp

image0 (8).jpg

image2 (2).jpg

image1 (3).jpg

image0 (7).jpg

image3 (2).jpg

image2 (1).jpg

image1 (2).jpg

image0 (6).jpg

SergeantStatic
3 minutes ago, SergeantStatic said:

Update - Few changes since last post.

got rid of both the BTAs and changed the scape and glued most of the corals down onto the rocks.

Changed tank to make it into the true peninsula to make more rooms for corals.

Few more coral frags - my favorites are my new torch and rainbow tenius acropora.

In the pics the alveopora is a bit closed since I had just repositioned it since it fell off.
Hopefully going to get 2 or 3 more acropora frags of some sort in the near future but so far its going great.

Also added a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp

image0 (8).jpg

image2 (2).jpg

image1 (3).jpg

image0 (7).jpg

image3 (2).jpg

image2 (1).jpg

image1 (2).jpg

image0 (6).jpg

Top down before I got the torch but recent

image0 (5).png