Coral Vue Hydros

JBJ 6 Gallon Questions

TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita

Im toying with an idea of having 3 or 4 nano reefs instead of a large 50G.

has anyone ever grown SPS under the stock lighting of a JBJ 6G. If not the 6G what size?

• 1 month later...

I have the JBJ 6G LED. From my experience the stock LED can grow Ricordea and Zoa’s, a whole bunch of them, but for LPS & SPS they just die off. I’ve tried several Monti and they completely start to wither away. Put them back in my main tank and they come back to life. 

trumpets - died

frogspawn - died

duncans - died

that amazing favia in the picture - died too

montis - half way died was able to save

I think the water volume is not enough to keep them stable. Also the ballast burned out after about a year and I’ve been trying to retrofit different lighting with not much luck. 

D0136C83-066F-46C8-B32F-9FAE90B73827.jpeg

2AB82616-C803-45C3-96C6-1D62E7CF1029.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that stock lighting emits no more than 100 par at the water surface. You can go buy all the sps you want but don't expect them to live.  

I would get a Prime 16HD or and older prime which is known to grow sps,or something like a RedSea LED 50w or build your own light. 

On 9/8/2020 at 1:27 PM, I'm Batman said:

I think the water volume is not enough to keep them stable. Also the ballast burned out after about a year and I’ve been trying to retrofit different lighting with not much luck. 

6g is sustainable enough for sps.  There has been numerous tank keepers here ( includong myself ) that have had tanks sub 4g's and kept sps lol. I had a 8" cube slap full of Acro's. 

There was a guy years ago that had a like .5 or evem 1/4 gallon acro tank for almost a few years. 

Once I finish my work trip (ends feb 2021),I plan on starting a 2g Acro only tank. Main thing for sps is stability,flow,lighting/spectrum that is pretty much it. 

https://www.marineaquariumsa.com/threads/6-gallon-sps-pico-reef-pushes-the-boundaries-for-nano-tank-enthusiasts.32491/

This is byfar my most favorite tank probably ever:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1860144

Here are some pics from my 2g picp sps tank:

imageproxy-53.jpg

imageproxy-55.jpg

imageproxy-48.jpg

imageproxy-104.jpg

imageproxy-41.jpg

imageproxy-39.jpg

imageproxy-7.jpg

imageproxy-6.jpg

• 1 month later...

Point proven @Reefkid88 lol!!! I’m still working on a retro light system for my JBJ 6g. As far as prime and hang on lights, I’ve done that but having the hood closed prevents evaporation and completely eliminates light bleed... the sacrifices we must make lol!!

You can always gut the hood,cut a hole in the top to let the fan suck in cool fresh air and shove a Prime in there or you can always make a DIY light to mount in there,driven at 500-700 is all you need. 

4x Luxeon Royal Blues

3x SemiLed Violets (1x 390-400,400- 410,420-430)

1x Cool Blue

1x Luxeon Cyan

1x Luxeon Mint 

1x Luxeon Warm White

@I'm Batman Just get Coralux 3-4up ldd board,3-4 drivers,Stevesleds.com has the perfect little power supply. I can,I have built well..too many lights. Here is my most recent build.

First one is 3 channels:

4x Luxeon C Royal Blues [ch1]

4x SemiLed Violets (390-430) [ch2]

1x Luxeon C Mint

1x Luxeon ES Cool Blue

1x Luxeon ES Cyan

1x StevesLeds 430 HV 

Then the 2nd is a NanoBox V3.1 wrapped in a bunch of violets and royal blues. 

20200815_220906.jpg

20200815_220930.jpg

20200319_154900.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 2:26 PM, TerraIncognita said:

Im toying with an idea of having 3 or 4 nano reefs instead of a large 50G.

has anyone ever grown SPS under the stock lighting of a JBJ 6G. If not the 6G what size?

Just an FYI, I ran an apogee par meter on the 6g JBJ Nano cube and the bottom was 20 par and about an inch under the water was 62. No wonder I could only keep zoa’s. 

Sounds like this is a lighting issue