Cultivated Reef

Gramophone's New Escapade

Gramophone

Gramophone
16 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Fantastic photos as always

Much obliged :smilie:

16 hours ago, SaltyGallon said:

This is a tank done really well. I'm digging the movement in the scape and the mocha storm clowns are lovely. But the whole desk looks really good - the pinned bugs and glass domes are very cool!!

I appreciate it! I never really noticed how many dead things I collect, coral included, ha.

13 hours ago, da1001 said:

Looks amazing, keep up the great job

Thanks!

13 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

The rics are beautiful, 😍

Only half as beautiful as yours, mitten :flower:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Little update. Monti caps lost a bit of color but seem happy other than that. Added a few things including a fuzzy 'shroom about as big as my face :eek:

XZf9lC.jpg

2ko9kn.jpg

KAeyxR.jpg

V7Gdwu.jpg

Can't have a tank without eagle eye zoanthids, right? :tongueout:

WTYddh.jpg

4NVJTK.jpg

lv2Rua.jpg

joTfCI.jpg

Oh, and I have to of course thank Emily at Waterbox for the hookup! You are wonderful :flower:

7eE8CY.jpg

• Like 6
Waterbox Aquariums
On 6/19/2020 at 6:29 PM, Gramophone said:

Little update. Monti caps lost a bit of color but seem happy other than that. Added a few things including a fuzzy 'shroom about as big as my face :eek:

XZf9lC.jpg

2ko9kn.jpg

KAeyxR.jpg

V7Gdwu.jpg

WTYddh.jpg

4NVJTK.jpg

lv2Rua.jpg

joTfCI.jpg

Oh, and I have to of course thank Emily at Waterbox for the hookup! You are wonderful :flower:

7eE8CY.jpg

Keep up the awesome work, friend!  ❤️

jackson_998
On 6/19/2020 at 11:29 PM, Gramophone said:

XZf9lC.jpg

2ko9kn.jpg

KAeyxR.jpg

V7Gdwu.jpg

WTYddh.jpg

4NVJTK.jpg

lv2Rua.jpg

joTfCI.jpg

7eE8CY.jpg

What setting do you run your MP10 on for this tank? I have the same tank and have just put an MP10 on mine, curious which setting works best!? Also, what lighting schedule do you run? Im running a modified AB+ for Prime HD at the moment.  

On 6/8/2020 at 2:29 PM, Gramophone said:

Anyone have an idea on an ID for this hitchhiker crab? Hopefully not a gorilla.

pIZFQF.jpg

Here's a video:

Can't make out the maxillipeds, but looks like it has three walking legs? Maybe a porcelain crab or close relative? Porcelain crabs aren't true crabs (they just look similar) and are evolved from squat lobsters, so they have three walking legs rather than the usual four.

Just re-watched the video and noticed it has 4 walking legs. Some type of mithrax or maybe acro crab is the closest I could guess from the video.

Tank looks superb and your photography is solid - thanks for sharing!

• Like 1
On 6/22/2020 at 12:46 PM, Waterbox Aquariums said:

Keep up the awesome work, friend!  ❤️

I will do my best :flower:

On 6/24/2020 at 2:40 PM, jackson_998 said:

What setting do you run your MP10 on for this tank? I have the same tank and have just put an MP10 on mine, curious which setting works best!? Also, what lighting schedule do you run? Im running a modified AB+ for Prime HD at the moment.  

I run it on Reefcrest mode on like the second speed setting. My corals seem to like this setting the most (at least that's what I tell myself, ha). I'm really just using a simple light schedule with a 3 hour ramp time. I messed around with the UV, violet, royal, blues, and CW until I found the best overall "color" for the tank and left it at that. A couple of my corals were getting a little bleached so I've been turning the lights down a little bit every day.

On 6/24/2020 at 4:53 PM, Break said:

Can't make out the maxillipeds, but looks like it has three walking legs? Maybe a porcelain crab or close relative? Porcelain crabs aren't true crabs (they just look similar) and are evolved from squat lobsters, so they have three walking legs rather than the usual four.

Just re-watched the video and noticed it has 4 walking legs. Some type of mithrax or maybe acro crab is the closest I could guess from the video.

Tank looks superb and your photography is solid - thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the insight on the crab, Break! I figured it would be a disagreeable crab regardless with its black claws and all. And thanks for the kind words as well :smilie:

Anyone here into keeping bonsai?

LNNEPx.jpg

aB7gSk.jpg

PhuaLp.jpg

L8ZX5s.jpg

gEycX0.jpg

vx3G9U.jpg

A couple quick shots for related reef content :biggrin:

4pWDYn.jpg

Ou5hwI.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 3
mitten_reef

Love the bonsais!!!  Feels like not many hobby takes patience, vision, and determinations like reefing, but bonsai might just be one of those ones that might go beyond reefing. You’re always playing the loooooooong-game.
(why as much as I love them, I never started 😅 )

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Gramophone said:

Thanks for the insight on the crab, Break! I figured it would be a disagreeable crab regardless with its black claws and all. And thanks for the kind words as well :smilie:

There are lighter gorilla crabs variants with the usual black claws (second photo down), so keep on eye on it - let me know if you get any other clear shots of it.

If it has hairy legs and black claws, chances are it's a gorilla crab. If it looks like those below then you'll want to remove it. It's very easy to mistake them for other crabs when they are small - I have seen them shipped in among porcelain/mithrax crabs 😨

Love the bonsai! Have one out on the balcony that I don't water nearly enough.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Can see the hairy legs better on this one:

spacer.png

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Ash1176 said:

Amazing shot of the firefish!

Thanks!

19 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Love the bonsais!!!  Feels like not many hobby takes patience, vision, and determinations like reefing, but bonsai might just be one of those ones that might go beyond reefing. You’re always playing the loooooooong-game.
(why as much as I love them, I never started 😅 )

Thanks, mitten! That is very much true. The trick is to purchase them while they're already mature :happy: 

17 hours ago, Break said:

There are lighter gorilla crabs variants with the usual black claws (second photo down), so keep on eye on it - let me know if you get any other clear shots of it.

If it has hairy legs and black claws, chances are it's a gorilla crab. If it looks like those below then you'll want to remove it. It's very easy to mistake them for other crabs when they are small - I have seen them shipped in among porcelain/mithrax crabs 😨

Love the bonsai! Have one out on the balcony that I don't water nearly enough.

I'll continue to keep a sharp eye on it.

You should water your bonsai! I'm sure it will thank you for it :biggrin:

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

So I had a little issue with my heater a couple of months ago and to make a long story short, I lost about 90% of my coral :sad:

On a lighter note, all the fish made it out okay :rolleyes: I've been adding mostly just soft coral since the fiasco. I think this is going to be a softy dominated tank now, which is something I've never tried before, so hey, I'm trying something new!

I recently read an article about extremely tiny tanks, so naturally, I had to purchase a Mini Complete Tank. These things are so cool! I haven't really decided exactly what to do with it, so I've just been keeping some zoas in it for now.

4Rgfm0.jpg

V13X2P.jpg

Lg5BRd.jpg

They grow up so fast :happy:

oxo93x.jpg

QgtQWE.jpg

kfD7OB.jpg

DjIGIo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Your tank is absolutely perfect !!!

What made you choose this AIO over lets say an IM10 ? Does the return chamber have enough room for a bigger pump ? Is the false wall really that see-thru ? I have so many questions lol. 

• Like 1
On 6/27/2020 at 1:24 PM, Gramophone said:

You should water your bonsai! I'm sure it will thank you for it :biggrin:

Thankfully, my fiance takes care of all the terrestrial plants while I handle the aquatic stuff, but in the end we're both ultimately servants to the cats. 

22 minutes ago, Gramophone said:

So I had a little issue with my heater a couple of months ago and to make a long story short, I lost about 90% of my coral :sad:

On a lighter note, all the fish made it out okay :rolleyes: I've been adding mostly just soft coral since the fiasco. I think this is going to be a softy dominated tank now, which is something I've never tried before, so hey, I'm trying something new!

I recently read an article about extremely tiny tanks, so naturally, I had to purchase a Mini Complete Tank. These things are so cool! I haven't really decided exactly what to do with it, so I've just been keeping some zoas in it for now.

4Rgfm0.jpg

V13X2P.jpg

Lg5BRd.jpg

They grow up so fast :happy:

oxo93x.jpg

QgtQWE.jpg

kfD7OB.jpg

DjIGIo.jpg

Ugh, that's terrible to hear about the heater - glad the fish made it! With heaters causing more tank crashes than anything else in this hobby you'd think the industry would have more innovations around them. I guess that's why my engineering buddies are always going on about redundancy and such. Making a note to replace my own heater this month.

Awesome desk/bookshelf setup, by the way!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

Your tank is absolutely perfect !!!

What made you choose this AIO over lets say an IM10 ? Does the return chamber have enough room for a bigger pump ? Is the false wall really that see-thru ? I have so many questions lol. 

Well I don't know about perfect, but I very much appreciate the kind words! :flower:

My LFS had a Waterbox on display and I just loved it. Plus, I've never been a big fan of the black "trim", but that's just me being a bit of a weirdo :wacko:

And yeah, the return chamber has about 3"x3" to work with for a return pump. The false wall is very tinted so I find it very difficult to see through it. I love answering questions so feel free to ask away!

1 hour ago, Break said:

Thankfully, my fiance takes care of all the terrestrial plants while I handle the aquatic stuff, but in the end we're both ultimately servants to the cats. 

Ugh, that's terrible to hear about the heater - glad the fish made it! With heaters causing more tank crashes than anything else in this hobby you'd think the industry would have more innovations around them. I guess that's why my engineering buddies are always going on about redundancy and such. Making a note to replace my own heater this month.

Awesome desk/bookshelf setup, by the way!

Ha, yeah, cat's definitely tend to be the masters of the household, that's for sure.

I can't really put all of the blame on my heater. I am ultimately responsible for its failure, but what will this hobby be without learning from our mistakes, right? Ha :rolleyes:

And thank you!

• Like 2

I miss your older tanks,from when I first got into the hobby and joined the community. Your tanks have always been so nice. So I am glad to see you back. 

I don't mind the trim (assuming you are talking about a regular rimmed tank). But I prefer the rimless design. 

I'm looking forward to this filling it and seeing what you do with it. I like the WB tanks,but for the extra few bucks of the IM you get the upgraded DC pump,media rack,glass mag and all that so its definitely a good starter bundle for sure. The tinted back glass has what has kind of steered me away. 

That is a good size,kinda small for most pumps but still not bad. I REALLY WANT one of their peninsula tanks they just came out with. 

• Like 1
TerraIncognita
On 6/26/2020 at 1:45 PM, Gramophone said:

Anyone here into keeping bonsai?

I am, but I've been neglecting them since June because of reefing. 😞

Managing 3 new tanks and Bonsai isn't enough time.

I'll drop some photos once I re-prune and train them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 6:04 PM, Reefkid88 said:

I miss your older tanks,from when I first got into the hobby and joined the community. Your tanks have always been so nice. So I am glad to see you back. 

I don't mind the trim (assuming you are talking about a regular rimmed tank). But I prefer the rimless design. 

I'm looking forward to this filling it and seeing what you do with it. I like the WB tanks,but for the extra few bucks of the IM you get the upgraded DC pump,media rack,glass mag and all that so its definitely a good starter bundle for sure. The tinted back glass has what has kind of steered me away. 

That is a good size,kinda small for most pumps but still not bad. I REALLY WANT one of their peninsula tanks they just came out with. 

I appreciate that! Yeah, I would love one of their new peninsula tanks too. You can always start another tank :wink: 

On 8/25/2020 at 2:42 PM, Waterbox Aquariums said:

We are so sorry to hear about your corals.  : (

Thank you. It's a bummer for sure :sad: 

On 8/25/2020 at 3:08 PM, TerraIncognita said:

I am, but I've been neglecting them since June because of reefing. 😞

Managing 3 new tanks and Bonsai isn't enough time.

I'll drop some photos once I re-prune and train them.

I tend to do a bit of neglecting myself. Sounds like you have your hands full!

I would love to see pictures. Do you have the wire you're using to train them?

• Like 2
On 9/7/2020 at 4:12 AM, famousdan314 said:

Welcome back gramophone! I loved your Old school nano, I’m sure this one will be awesome. 🤙

Thanks! I sure do miss that tank :sad:

Nothing really new other than a few PJ Cardinals

0YBBjl.jpg

hSclfU.jpg

23Cjzw.jpg

Here is my tiny tiny mini complete tank. Literally smaller than my hand :lol:

mc5rS2.jpg

4Kt5io.jpg

I don't believe that I have shared my 3 gallon bow front pico

YIGxGa.jpg

• Like 5

Can certainly tell you're into bonsai heavy, the structuring and spacial awareness in your tanks is really insane. 

Sorry to hear about the heater malfunction, my bonsai are all ugly and done out of necessity, not art lol. Japanese avocado and mango pruning techniques don't make for pretty plants, just short and manageable ones XD

Always wanted to get into proper bonsai, never really had the right start or plant for it, just incidental dwarfs I decided to keep that way. (Which I guess means I can't have wanted it too badly <_>)

Thank you for sharing your system.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ash1176 said:

Wow that’s amazing! 
how do you test water parameters in the tiny tank, doesn’t it empty with one test ? Haha

Ha, I haven't even tested anything other than salinity and temperature yet. You're probably right... one test of parameters would probably empty out the half of it :lol:

6 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Can certainly tell you're into bonsai heavy, the structuring and spacial awareness in your tanks is really insane. 

Sorry to hear about the heater malfunction, my bonsai are all ugly and done out of necessity, not art lol. Japanese avocado and mango pruning techniques don't make for pretty plants, just short and manageable ones XD

Always wanted to get into proper bonsai, never really had the right start or plant for it, just incidental dwarfs I decided to keep that way. (Which I guess means I can't have wanted it too badly <_>)

Thank you for sharing your system.

Hey, I would say manageable bonsai can definitely be considered art :smilie:

What kind do you have?

And of course! I appreciate the kind words.

• Like 1

Incidentals over the years; tulip tree, eureka lemon hybrid, cayenne peppers, biquinho peppers, a few different oranges and olives, giant gardenia, and now a livingroom full of homely tropical plants which have no business surviving in my climate XD

The main victims comprise of a sabara jaboticaba, a jackfruit, some paw paw, potentially a coffee plant or two from my folk's farm, and a few eugenia species - the biquinho pepper tree finally out-vigored me and will need to be restarted from seed (also may have fumbled and broken its' pot).