Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Tank Build!

coryscritch

6 minutes ago, coryscritch said:

No theme here, just want a nice tank. Haha. I have no problem cranking the temp up. I will raise it to 78-79. So I just tested using Hannah test kits. My phosphate is .061 and my nitrates are 1.41.  Those numbers are the highest they’ve ever been. I’ve struggled with nutrients in this tank. Thank you for your help 

Those are low numbers to me. I have my phosphate @ 0.1 and nitrate @ 10...

1 hour ago, Murphs_Reef said:

Those are low numbers to me. I have my phosphate @ 0.1 and nitrate @ 10...

they’re low to me too. I’ve always had issues with low nutrients. 

2 hours ago, coryscritch said:

My phosphate is .061 and my nitrates are 1.41.  Those numbers are the highest they’ve ever been. I’ve struggled with nutrients in this tank. Thank you for your help 

I agree with Murph...if those are the highest levels you've seen, then levels must have been fairly low before.

1 ppm is quite low for nitrates, thankfully phosphates aren't too close to zero.  Generally these conditions wouldn't be problematic for most corals, but might be conducive to a dino bloom.

As for struggling with nutrients...how are you cleaning/filtering the tank?  Also, how much (of what) are you feeding the tank per day?

• Like 1

I feel like I’m feeding a pretty good amount of food. P.E flakes/spectrum pellets in the am. Frozen mysis with tigger feast in the evening. I guess I could throw some lunch in there. On the upside, my acans have never looked this good. But I did bust my slimmer doing some maintenance today ☹️A6E5B6A5-45EF-49D8-8A84-CFBE187A0906.thumb.jpeg.000f9e517accf9c3d12ac58708581834.jpeg

22E18964-71D6-4427-9A75-6124A2DC85C0.jpeg

• Like 2

Little update on the algae situation. The algae/Dino’s only grow on the back glass, where the algae is growing. I replaced my scraper blade 2 days ago and cleaned the side glass really good, there was some serious build up! , I haven’t seen any since. Theres nothing on the rocks/sand. Kind of confused why the back glass is such a hot spot. 

D76FE107-C48C-44E7-AAA7-5589F771296A.jpeg

D05D7A71-F8DE-4AC0-8BCD-F0D8E21BC45D.jpeg

A719E93B-A6C3-4200-8778-EB5FE9538FC6.jpeg

• Like 1

Dino's don't normally bloom – that's an exceptional behavior.  "Normal" for them is living as epiphytes – very often on green algae.  (Lots of things live as epiphytes on green algae.)

So IMO they were there because of the green algae.   Will be interesting to see how things develop from here.  👍

On 11/17/2023 at 9:45 AM, mcarroll said:

Dino's don't normally bloom – that's an exceptional behavior.  "Normal" for them is living as epiphytes – very often on green algae.  (Lots of things live as epiphytes on green algae.)

So IMO they were there because of the green algae.   Will be interesting to see how things develop from here.  👍

I think I may totally clean the back glass, put some gsp frags on the back glass. Maybe that will outcompete the algae that grows back there. 

• Like 1

Not sure what this means, but the Dino’s seem to be coming from my leather. No where else. It has been the only coral in the tank where they populate. Originally I thought they were coming off the back wall onto the leather, but I moved it away, and put it in the front of the tank, and they are growing on it now. 

7E008D28-121C-4FDE-9EC1-6622C411E25B.jpeg

A76C26A4-4161-4288-A5BA-E2D87DD67DE6.jpeg

That seems like early signs of bleaching to me.  Dino bail-out....not a dino bloom.  

That leather looks pale-greenish too,  aka "paling"...another early sign of bleaching.  (Lemme know if it looks like that in person.)

Is your flow pretty strong?

How are the N and P numbers (and everything else) doing lately?

On 11/18/2023 at 6:01 PM, mcarroll said:

That seems like early signs of bleaching to me.  Dino bail-out....not a dino bloom.  

That leather looks pale-greenish too,  aka "paling"...another early sign of bleaching.  (Lemme know if it looks like that in person.)

Is your flow pretty strong?

How are the N and P numbers (and everything else) doing lately?

I’m not sure. The color doesn’t seem to be too off.  Maybe it’s still in recovery from the temp spike? Lights have been on for an hr now. I don’t see any signs of Dino on it. Flow is good, I have two gyres on opposite sides of tank. I’ll run a phosphate test today. I ran out of nitrate solution. Waiting on more. 

• Agree 1
  • 1 month later...
coryscritch

So I ended up getting rid of the leather coral I had. It wouldn’t stop releasing Dino. Everything seems to be doing much better, For the past week. I also rearranged a few things . 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
coryscritch
On 1/11/2024 at 11:32 AM, Reefkid88 said:

Feed them things lol !!! They are happy as heck,I love when mine get like that. 

Haha, they get lots of food! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
coryscritch

Possible water change day. Also looking into a big lagoon style  tank, that will fill in that whole corner. 

8D66F51B-AAF9-411C-9A6B-C76FE8C75FD0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
coryscritch

Everything’s really starting to take off again. The red monti is bouncing back, not sure what happened before. 

IMG_0159.jpeg

IMG_0160.jpeg

IMG_0161.jpeg

IMG_0162.jpeg