Cultivated Reef

17 Gallon Peninsula  - Used to be an Evo

RedCrow

Picked up this used Evo 13.5

IyueQnf.jpg

It came with both InTank media baskets and an AI Prime

I stripped down the entire tank: removed to plastic pedestal, removed the partition, and scrapped off the honeycomb pattern.

kJIDXaJ.jpg

And now I'm left with a rimless glass box

LkHC9TF.jpg

In case anyone would like to know, a completely empty Evo 13.5 holds at best 12.5 gallons of water. This is exactly 12 gallons:

IMlevc2.jpg

More coming soon!

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Seea said:

Are you making it into an AIO?

Yes, I t’ll look pretty similar to the Evo when it’s done, but there’s a few things about the Evo that I don’t like so I’m going to change those when I rebuild it 

• Haha 1

Performed a second leak test, and noticed that both long panes have a slight bow when completely filled. considering replacing the tank, as I've heard many horror stories about evos splitting or leaking. what are y'alls thoughts?

UdWCpTS.jpg8GI306M.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and ordered a 17 gallon Lifegard Aquatics 17 gallon low iron tank. I figured the 100 bucks for the tank was worth it to potentially avoid the other one leaking and ruining the entire house. The low-iron and the extra 3-4 gallons are a nice bonus too

oPQD6kc.jpg

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Seea said:

Are you gonna turn this one into an AIO too, or a mini sump

I was planning on AIO, but now you’ve got my wheels turning! Maybe a ten gallon sump 🤔

• Like 2
Chadicus Meridius
27 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I vote tank,use a cheap 10g for a sump. Don't ruin those good straight,45* mitered edges on a sump !!! 

Yea my bad I meant use the 17 gallon as a tank and get a 10gallon for a sump 

• Like 1

use the evo for a sump build . The baffles will help hold it together,  plus it will never be 12g full so the bowing should be non existent. 

• Like 4

I saw that after several moths of being out of stock, Bruce Plants has the Ultum Nature Systems 60U in stock for $150 dollars, which is only $25 more than the Lifeguard tank was. The length and height of the UNS tank are the same as the LG tank, but the UNS is 3 inches wider (24X14X14 vs 24x11x14). Do ya'll thimk it would be worth returning the LG for the UNS to gain 3 inches of width?

• Like 1
Cannedfish
6 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

I saw that after several moths of being out of stock, Bruce Plants has the Ultum Nature Systems 60U in stock for $150 dollars, which is only $25 more than the Lifeguard tank was. The length and height of the UNS tank are the same as the LG tank, but the UNS is 3 inches wider (24X14X14 vs 24x11x14). Do ya'll thimk it would be worth returning the LG for the UNS to gain 3 inches of width?

Yup, plus the UNS tanks with the mitered edges are super sexy. 

• Like 3

Well with shipping the UNS comes out to $200, plus the return shipping on the Lifegard is $25 😬. so the price difference for the UNS is actually $100 more than the LG. I'm gonna chew on that for a couple days, see what I decide..

I did get my stimulus check today though, so maybe I should just go for it 😂

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Seea said:

Any updates @RedCrow.

Been super busy these last few weeks, so this tank is on a bit of a hold. I plan to get the project moving again in the next couple weeks 

I’ve decided to keep the LifeGard tank; I’ll be able to do what I want with it in the smaller volume still 

5 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Where did you order the LG bare tank from ? 

LifeGard sells through amazon, so you can’t beat free two day shipping and damage replacement 

• Like 1