Cultivated Reef

RockyMountainReef

RockyMountainReef

Hey everyone, I have an IM 25 lagoon, and a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue mounted light. I started with a small 10 gal and the light that I bought off of someone, then transferred the light and bio load to the new 25 Lagoon. My questions are 1. Is this light enough? 2. How high should this light be above the water line? 3. If anyone out there also has an A80 Tuna Blue, what are your cycles set at. 

I am not too concerned with anything, as the tank has been running great, and seems in really healthy condition (1 Ocellaris Clown, 1 canary blenny, 1 damsel, 1 conch, 1 bubble tip anemone, tons of spirorbid worms, some great corals, and a flame scallop [been alive for 6 months don't know how he's not dead]). 

Really, I just want to dial in the lighting now to make sure my coral growth is the best it can be. Any help would be awesome! 

IMG_20200320_135829.jpg

IMG_20200321_123242.jpg

IMG_20200331_134022.jpg

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

If all you are keeping is softies it may work for awhile, but you're not going to see consistent growth out of that light on that size of tank.

I used to run an A80 at 100% intensity on my nuvo 10, and eventually ditched it for a AI Prime.  Did not get the growth I desired out of it.   The corals were happy and healthy but it just wasnt enough.  The kessil is great, but at 15 watts its only going to do so much.   I think they should only be on tanks 10 gallons and below.

If your budget allows and you want to stay with the kessil, grab another, or go with one of their other models.    You can always dial it down so you are not worrying about frying your corals.

• Thanks 1
RockyMountainReef
On 4/3/2020 at 6:48 AM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

If all you are keeping is softies it may work for awhile, but you're not going to see consistent growth out of that light on that size of tank.

I used to run an A80 at 100% intensity on my nuvo 10, and eventually ditched it for a AI Prime.  Did not get the growth I desired out of it.   The corals were happy and healthy but it just wasnt enough.  The kessil is great, but at 15 watts its only going to do so much.   I think they should only be on tanks 10 gallons and below.

If your budget allows and you want to stay with the kessil, grab another, or go with one of their other models.    You can always dial it down so you are not worrying about frying your corals.

Awesome. This is what I needed to hear. Basically, I could run another one of these same lights, and chain it since I have the Spectral Controller for it as well, or, I could upgrade the lighting and limit the power on that. Makes sense 🤘🏻 Noted and thank you!

• Like 1
RockyMountainReef

@SURVEYMAN46123 you like your AI Prime? I've heard nothing but good things, but have been waiting to bite the bullet. i think 1 AI Prime at medium to max intensity would do the IM 25 Lagoon justice, but I'm curious to hear if there are any other options out there between a stronger 1 light or 2 light combo.

MainelyReefer

A single a80 is way underpowered for a 25g.  I also have the lagoon and am running two kessil a80 basically for ramp and spectrum, since they are only 30w together I have them ramp right up to 100% quickly then use them to shift the spectrum in the desired direction(bluer morning and night, whiter midday)  Then the 96w of t5’s are what supplies the even coral growing power.  If staying LED only I would go with a stronger fixture like the a160 or prime

SURVEYMAN46123
7 hours ago, RockyMountainReef said:

@SURVEYMAN46123 you like your AI Prime? I've heard nothing but good things, but have been waiting to bite the bullet. i think 1 AI Prime at medium to max intensity would do the IM 25 Lagoon justice, but I'm curious to hear if there are any other options out there between a stronger 1 light or 2 light combo.

Yep I love it.

I have seen single primes on lagoons, but for better spread I'd go with two.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2020 at 7:46 PM, RockyMountainReef said:

Basically, I could run another one of these same lights, and chain it since I have the Spectral Controller for it as well

Seems like this would be the most sensible option.  Two of these is better than a single, more powerful spotlight anyway.

If you wanted to consider switching to something different, then I'd say take a look at some LED strips like Current USA's.

IMO stick with the Kessils....add another A80 when you're ready.  

Until then, keep your corals in the same relative positions they were in, with respect to the light, in the old tank.  

That way they won't know anything is different from the old tank, and you can take your time saving up for the second A80.  👍

• Like 1