Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dojoloach's 365 Nano Challenge- Fear the Dark Side

DOJOLOACH

Ok everybody... Here goes my first tank journal for the nano contest 2020... Going with a theme of ... Drumroll... StarWars!

I'll be using a IM 6 gallon frag tank with diy aio enclosure in the back. This is a frugal setup.

Equipment list:

6 gallon IM tank

Mj-606 as return pump

Aqueon 50w heater

Wavepoint Blade HO 9" 10k/blue

20200218_203953.jpg

• Like 6

"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Dojoloach The Wise? I thought not. It’s not a story the nano-reefers would tell you. It’s a pico-reefing legend. Darth Dojoloach was a Dark Lord of the Pico, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create instantaneous marine life… He had such a knowledge of pico-reefing husbandry that he could even keep the Acropora he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be, unnatural..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 7:50 AM, kimberbee said:

How's your AIO compartment coming along?

Well I have issues and need advice and recommendations. I'm satisfied with the different sections: middle is for heater and end right section  is for the return. However my drill bit size was ttoo small to make a nice hole for the return line nozzle... And the bigger problem is I can't make the inlet right and now it is huge.

I have one more piece of acrylic to use and I'm debating a smaller inlet cutout and gluing coarse mesh on it. Or just poking lots of organized holes for the inlet.

What are yalls thoughts? I have an acrylic razor blade, power drill, and a nice new Dremel I splurged on. Also when I heated the acrylic to make the 90 bends they didn't quite come out even but we're acceptable... On a side note installing the middle dividers was quite a pita with the silicone getting stuck everywhere on the glass. I'm also going to go get a hole saw, I hear once pilot hole is drilled, run the drill in reverse to prevent saw teeth biting and cracking the thin acrylic

20200304_063651.jpg

20200228_182930.jpg

• Like 1

This is not my area of expertise at all but I think your best bet is to take your extra acrylic and create an overflow (inlet - with slats) - something like Intank's Surface Skimmer (link below) and attach it with silicone over the current opening. 

https://intankaquatics.com/intank-all-in-one-surface-skimmer/

And also with the extra acrylic create a smaller hole for the return plumbing and nozzle and silicone that over the large opening. 

It all may look a little janky when finished but it will be functional. 

Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ef4life said:

Looking good, I can’t wait to see you incorporate the star wars theme into this.

I'm excited. Finishing up the silicone tonight and filling with water this weekend. I redid the outlet with a proper sized holesaw... Inlet holes still are a bit janky but we will see

• Like 2
11 hours ago, DOJOLOACH said:

I'm excited. Finishing up the silicone tonight and filling with water this weekend. I redid the outlet with a proper sized holesaw... Inlet holes still are a bit janky but we will see

So here she is. Decided to put heater and return pump in the same chamber... May add another chamber later on. I really want to try mounting rocks to magnets to create planets, with a green field of gsp 

20200305_184817.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

That is some nice progress. I can't even decide on which rocks and how to lay them on the sand. 

Thank you, I chose not to do sand so made my own magnetic rocks... Don't worry... Magnets are epoxy coated .

I picked up a few zoa's and an acan frag I'm holding in my frag tank, it's going to be tough finding a Coral to grow on the left most rock that is shaded

MainelyReefer
14 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH said:

e tough finding a Coral to grow on the left most rock that is shaded

Try leptastrea it seems to like low light IME

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, GraniteReefer said:

Try leptastrea it seems to like low light IME

Ok, think it could grow underneath some too? Was planning to put zoa's and acans on the top of left rock too

34 minutes ago, Azur said:

Quietly this could be a very cool tank... Three floating asteroids, and an AT-AT?! I'm sold. 🌑

I know right, I’ve always thought of doing something like this, I have an old hasbro millennium falcon missing some parts and I thought that would make an awesome artificial reef/ habitat in a 75g or bigger

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Azur said:

Quietly this could be a very cool tank... Three floating asteroids, and an AT-AT?! I'm sold. 🌑

I know right, I’ve always thought of doing something like this, I have an old hasbro millennium falcon missing some parts and I thought that would make an awesome artificial reef/ habitat in a 75g or bigger

mitten_reef
5 hours ago, DOJOLOACH said:

Scaped and cycling. Got some asteroids in here

20200307_160443.jpg

looking forward to seeing some corals in there.  what's your first impression of the light (I think, you're the one I pointed toward this brand a week or two ago)?  I imagine it a tad less blue in real life than in that photo.  hopefully there's enough blue in there to make all your zoas pop.  

29 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

looking forward to seeing some corals in there.  what's your first impression of the light (I think, you're the one I pointed toward this brand a week or two ago)?  I imagine it a tad less blue in real life than in that photo.  hopefully there's enough blue in there to make all your zoas pop.  

It is a tad less blue. It's ok, unfortunately whites and blues both share the same plug so I can't use mechanical timers for each channel individually.  I may see if I can buy another power supply and run them independent.

Reviews said it would grow sticks so that's a plus

• Like 2