Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reef lighting under £150?

Nathans_Reef

Hello everybody, i am going to set up a 40 gallon lionfish tank and i would like to grow macro algea, zoanthids and mabye an anemone. I like the Twinstar 600 but it is a planted tank light, it is full spectrum, 7050k and about 30w, would this be bright enough for at least macro algea? If not does anybody know of any lighting for under £150 that will be good for a 80cm tank?

Thanks

15 hours ago, Clown79 said:

The light might work for some macro but not an anemone.

A black box on amazon like this would be better

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIPARSPECTRA-Control-Aquarium-Dimmable-Spectrum/dp/B07HG5GV5V/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=mars+aqua+led&qid=1580928531&sprefix=mars+aqua&sr=8-1

Would the light work for some low light corals like zoanthids?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Nathans_Reef said:

I mean the light that i suggested, would that work?

It might keep them alive but it's in the wrong spectrum which will give very little growth, brownish colours, you won't get the pretty colors of zoanthids with 7050k

The spectrum is for plants and freshwater. It will definitely help you grow green algae. 

Why waste the money on something that you will need/want to change when there are better options in your budget?

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

It might keep them alive but it's in the wrong spectrum which will give very little growth, brownish colours, you won't get the pretty colors of zoanthids with 7050k

The spectrum is for plants and freshwater. It will definitely help you grow green algae. 

Why waste the money on something that you will need/want to change when there are better options in your budget?

Because i have a freshwater aquascape next to it and i would like it if the lights matched, a planted saltwater tank would be cool anyway.

Thanks for your help.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:41 AM, Nathans_Reef said:

Because i have a freshwater aquascape next to it and i would like it if the lights matched, a planted saltwater tank would be cool anyway.

Thanks for your help.

I have to admit that's a funny pre-condition for lighting a reef tank where the light is not decorative, it's essential.  Aesthetics trumping basic husbandry?  No, no, no.

Before setting up a saltwater tank I'd strongly suggest checking out at least one reading suggestion from this thread:
Chime in with your reef-oriented reading list! 

Either one of Martin Moe's books would be a great place to start.

If you really want to use that light you linked then I would just stay away from corals.  Fish and macroalgae will be happy enough under it though. 

Corals may not actually do well and could even be stressed enough to die just from the light. 

(You won't find a single coral for sale that's acclimated to white light like that.....and many corals for sale are from deep water where it's almost all blue-light.)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...