inTank Media Baskets

4 gal. Pico build

karisma

53 minutes ago, karisma said:

1580041892200-526008150.jpg

What are your water parameters like? If the tank has Cycled you should be adding a clean up crew to help battle the algae. Cerith and Trocus snails are great, I also have a fondness from. Scarlet Legged hermits. 

5 hours ago, Ratvan said:

What are your water parameters like? If the tank has Cycled you should be adding a clean up crew to help battle the algae. Cerith and Trocus snails are great, I also have a fondness from. Scarlet Legged hermits. 

Ill check parameters and get back to you. I have skipped the cycle like i wss saying in my previous posts..

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Its completely normal. A cuc will help

Good to know. Guess i need to use a chamber in the back as a small fuge and add some cheato in the chamber and a submersible light. To take all the phosphate out of the aquarium.

2 hours ago, karisma said:

Good to know. Guess i need to use a chamber in the back as a small fuge and add some cheato in the chamber and a submersible light. To take all the phosphate out of the aquarium.

You don't want 0 phos or 0 nitrates. This prevents coral growth, coral coloration, and leads to nasty things like dino's.

Algae is normal and part of the ecosystem.

• Like 2

You could and it would help but you don't want to eliminate them, more control them. You could also use decorative algae in the display to achieve the same. 

4 hours ago, karisma said:

Thsi has me confused.

Which part? 

You can usually pull off clumps of that algae off and get some snails like Cerith or Banded Trocus. They'll help eat the algae at the new growth to keep it in check. You have to make it short for them. You could also add hermits, I find them really entertaining although you will need some spare shells for them if you don't want them after the snails. 

13 hours ago, Ratvan said:

You could and it would help but you don't want to eliminate them, more control them. You could also use decorative algae in the display to achieve the same. 

Which part? 

You can usually pull off clumps of that algae off and get some snails like Cerith or Banded Trocus. They'll help eat the algae at the new growth to keep it in check. You have to make it short for them. You could also add hermits, I find them really entertaining although you will need some spare shells for them if you don't want them after the snails. 

Sorry im not confused at all. Thank you for all the help. I will definitely get a few turbo snails and a few hermits. With extra shells to keep the snails safe lol. Hope they will keep the algae in check. But it's normal to have this algae growing at this point hey. That's very good then. Thank you :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Cute clown, whats happening with your water level? Is it an anti jumping strategy? 

No lol i have a lid for that. The level is because my return pump is weak and not filling the display as fast as another pump may do...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, karisma said:

No lol i have a lid for that. The level is because my return pump is weak and not filling the display as fast as another pump may do...

If you want to raise it quickly and cheaply. Glue a small amount of clear plastic behind the weir comb. This will let you have a higher water level. Or alternatively i think JBJ make a surface skimmer for the Fluval Spec that might fit. 

14 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

If you want to raise it quickly and cheaply. Glue a small amount of clear plastic behind the weir comb. This will let you have a higher water level. Or alternatively i think JBJ make a surface skimmer for the Fluval Spec that might fit. 

Oh really? I will look into the surface skimmer. And i know what you mean about the comb. I already have the bottom ones blockedoff with a piece of plastic.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, karisma said:

Oh really? I will look into the surface skimmer. And i know what you mean about the comb. I already have the bottom ones blockedoff with a piece of plastic.

22 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Found this. I think it will work as you say.

https://www.amazon.com/inTank-All-in-One-Surface-Skimmer/dp/B07JJMFSJH

• Like 1

Added the smallest koralia nano 240 to the reef...Blows my sand around but i needed the flow so i think ill keep it for now. Maybe get the little pico 180 power head in the future.

15810553114701574442145.jpg

• Like 1

I have an almost identical tank, but made by Lifegard.  I really struggled with a powerhead since the display tank size is so small.  I ended up upgrading the return pump to a Maxijet 606 (I think) and that helped a lot with flow.  Maybe you could try that? 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I have an almost identical tank, but made by Lifegard.  I really struggled with a powerhead since the display tank size is so small.  I ended up upgrading the return pump to a Maxijet 606 (I think) and that helped a lot with flow.  Maybe you could try that? 

Hmmm i might jsut get that pump. Did your return lines all fit good to the pump? 

• Like 1

Hmmm i might jsut get that pump. Did your return lines all fit good to the pump? 

Nope.  LOL. I bought some flexible tubing from Home Depot to the pump for just a couple bucks, but the hole in the AIO false wall is wider than the tubing, so...I just rigged it for the tubing to go straight from the pump to that hole and I don't have a return nozzle.  It's janky, but I'm not creative enough to come up with a better plan.  I'd offer to ship you the leftover tubing,  but it'd cost more in shipping than what you'd pay for 8" of tubing. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TatorTaco said:

Nope.  LOL. I bought some flexible tubing from Home Depot to the pump for just a couple bucks, but the hole in the AIO false wall is wider than the tubing, so...I just rigged it for the tubing to go straight from the pump to that hole and I don't have a return nozzle.  It's janky, but I'm not creative enough to come up with a better plan.  I'd offer to ship you the leftover tubing,  but it'd cost more in shipping than what you'd pay for 8" of tubing. 

Lmao. Buddy i would have done the same. Quick fix lol 

You could try a few things but it would be complicated.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, karisma said:

You could upgrade the return pump and get an RFG nozzle to create random flow. They are great.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

You could upgrade the return pump and get an RFG nozzle to create random flow. They are great.

Not to hijack, but I understood the RFG was only beneficial in larger tanks where the flow could disperse?  My LFS just started carrying RFGs and they let me stick my hand in front of it to "feel" the flow.  While I could feel the pulsing flow the further my hand got away from the RFG, I couldn't tell a difference the closer my hand got it compared to a normal flare nozzle. Would an RFG be appropriate for a tank that's 5" x 12ish inches? 

• Like 1