Cultivated Reef

Wouldnt it be nice to move coral easily?

NanoRox

I thought I would give you a sneak peek into something I am very close to releasing.  As an upgrade to my frag collars (which I have show cased already), I will soon have Mag Collars!  These are resin frag plug collars that look like rock but are magnetized.  Each mag collar comes with a base magnet (safely encased in rock like plastic) which is glued to anything in your rockscape.  Then you simply place the Mag Collar where ever you have placed a base magnet.  Base magnets will be super cheap so multiples can be placed throughout the rockscape.  Then just place, replace, rotate etc until you and your coral is happy.  Click on the link below to see a short little prototype demo.  Also follow @banasophia here and on IG,  She has a video on IG showing v1 in her new tank.  In fact she suggested the idea so we have been working together in making these the best they can be.  Stay tuned and let me know if you may be interested when they are released or if you have questions.

Mag Collar Video

• Like 11

Your Frag Collars are amazing as is, and it has been so much fun working on this new magnetic twist!! You make it really easy for people to submit ideas to you on your website, and you were able to seamlessly transform the idea into a cool new version of your product! Hoping others will be as excited about them as I am!! 

Here’s a video I made yesterday, demonstrating them in my tank:

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

What a cool idea! I always get nervous super gluing frags in place when they're new, this is a neat solution for easily moving them into more ideal conditions after they've settled in.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

What a cool idea! I always get nervous super gluing frags in place when they're new, this is a neat solution for easily moving them into more ideal conditions after they've settled in.

I think between the frag collars ability to camouflage the frag plug and the magnets ability to allow easy repositioning, this could make it much easier to place corals. 

1 hour ago, steve hwang said:

Very Cool! Will it be easy to glue the base magnet to the rockwork?

Yeah, the base magnet is a small resin coated magnet. I just figured out where I wanted it on my scape with the mag collar attached to it, then I separated the two pieces while I superglued the base magnet in place. It seemed much easier than gluing a coral onto the scape because it’s small and lightweight, so I didn’t have to hold it very long before the glue was dry enough for me to let go and let it dry the rest of the way on its own. 

Can you upload a picture of the base magnet?  I see the collars on your website @NanoRox, but I'm just curious if I should go all willy-nilly and glue those down now for future collars later.  

• Like 1
On 1/17/2020 at 3:42 PM, TatorTaco said:

Can you upload a picture of the base magnet?  I see the collars on your website @NanoRox, but I'm just curious if I should go all willy-nilly and glue those down now for future collars later.  

Hey Tator.  I don't have a pic at the moment (I have to make more base magnets) but I have a new video on IG that kind of shows them.  I have been playing with different designs and I have settled on button shaped mags that look like small pieces of coral.  The base mags are black.  

Here is a link where you can kind of see them.    mag collars in my tank

The existing frag collars don't have magnets in them so they would have to be glued down anyway but they work very well.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I need these in my life so badly --  I have chronic coral rearranger syndrome.

Do you think the magnets are strong enough to prevent bulldozing from snails like turbos? 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Xanthine said:

I need these in my life so badly --  I have chronic coral rearranger syndrome.

Do you think the magnets are strong enough to prevent bulldozing from snails like turbos? 

Oh yeah.  Getting the perfect strength (strong enough to hold but not so strong as to pull rock work apart), has been a primary focus,  I'm making some final tests now to confirm. 

• Like 3
  • Recommended Discussions