Justanotherfishguy

On 1/10/2020 at 8:33 PM, Justanotherfishguy said:

water change water 

phosphate looks like 0.05  

ca 400

mg 1260

alk 9.6dhk

ph 8.2

This is newly made artificial seawater with 0.05 ppm of phosphate?  From the LFS?

Since that PO4 is not coming from food in the tank, it seems like we'd have to be a little concerned about what kind of phosphate that might be.

Definitely stop using that on the tank, at least for now.

Consider using bottled water from the LFS/Petco/Petsmart, or using grocery store distilled water and get a brand new package of salt mix....can just be a little 10 Gallon size package....just enough to get you through a water change or two until you get this sorted out.

See if anything changes with the tank after it gets a few "clean" water changes and after some time passes.  👍

• Thanks 1
Justanotherfishguy

No  not lfs water.  so Recently I’ve been using rodi water from Walmart and the instant ocean salt mix but honestly I have the seachem phosphate tester and it was kinda hard to read I have salifert for the other test which was easier to read so It could have been at zero but definitely not pass 0.05 

Oh and here is my tank stats aswell from the other day if that helps 

tank water 

phosphate is 0.05.  Or could be zero 

ca 400

mg 1140

alk 8.6 Dhk 

ph 8.2

so should I still try the distilled water instead and get a new bag of salt. Could my salt be contaminated or be a bad batch??

If phosphates are at zero in the tank, that's probably part of the issue...bacteria might be the only thing successfully reproducing in the tank in those conditions.

It's normal for po4 to be zero on freshly mixed seawater. 

Compare your test vial with a second vial that has only plain tank water in it...whether or not the test vial really is above-zero it should be very clear to see this way.

• Like 1
Justanotherfishguy

Okay I’ll check when I get home and let you know 

So pretty much from the beginning I’ve had the gfo from innovative marine in my tank, but got rid of it three days ago do you think that’s what’s been keeping my phosphate levels so low

20 minutes ago, Justanotherfishguy said:

Okay I’ll check when I get home and let you know 

So pretty much from the beginning I’ve had the gfo from innovative marine in my tank, but got rid of it three days ago do you think that’s what’s been keeping my phosphate levels so low

Yes. It easily and quickly can strip phos.