Coral Vue Hydros

What the heck is this crab?

Tamberav

Weird little crab at the LFS. I don't think it is for sale... Probably a hitch hiker! 

What is it? He has a little weird skull... I might email and ask if I can have him. 

MVIMG_20191129_103721.thumb.jpg.04385de9a11552a0a57761930d85e3d0.jpgMVIMG_20191129_103906.thumb.jpg.7fdaaba6fb3fd5169336d23dec192695.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

Oh wow. Get him! He looks tiny, I'm sure you could stash him somewhere pretty easily. Heck, one of those breeder boxes would work for awhile. Doesn't look like it'd be terribly predatory, either.

Does it have eggs in its tail-pouch dealie? Not sure what it's called when they carry the eggs around on their tail.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Weird little crab at the LFS. I don't think it is for sale... Probably a hitch hiker! 

What is it? He has a little weird skull... I might email and ask if I can have him. 

MVIMG_20191129_103721.thumb.jpg.04385de9a11552a0a57761930d85e3d0.jpgMVIMG_20191129_103906.thumb.jpg.7fdaaba6fb3fd5169336d23dec192695.jpg

Soooo cute!! 😃

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Tired said:

Oh wow. Get him! He looks tiny, I'm sure you could stash him somewhere pretty easily. Heck, one of those breeder boxes would work for awhile. Doesn't look like it'd be terribly predatory, either.

Does it have eggs in its tail-pouch dealie? Not sure what it's called when they carry the eggs around on their tail.

I am not sure if there eggs. He/she would not turn around for me. Kept showing me its butt and weird head lol...

I will ask if I can have him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eee!! I think it looks like a type of coral/invert burrowing pea crab. (𝑷𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒔 sp. maybe?) I'd stay far away until getting clear ID. Even if in your fuge, if it has eggs....

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Xanthine said:

Eee!! I think it looks like a type of coral/invert burrowing pea crab. (𝑷𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒔 sp. maybe?) I'd stay far away until getting clear ID. Even if in your fuge, if it has eggs....

I will check its underside. I am not too afraid of hitchikers tbh.... my wrasses would probably destroy it if they could.

I will put it in my 10g conditioning tank that has live rock and macro for observation for now if you think it could somehow infect the display.

• Like 4

The eggs won't make it. Crabs have planktonic larvae, which will either get mauled by your pumps, eaten by your critters, or both. If it is carrying eggs, it's carrying snacks.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Tired said:

The eggs won't make it. Crabs have planktonic larvae, which will either get mauled by your pumps, eaten by your critters, or both. If it is carrying eggs, it's carrying snacks.

5c98b03fdbc615b7ececbb8ce32274dd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Ummm, this is not exactly what it seems.  It's actually the juvenile form of the infamous 'Brain bug' from Starship Troopers!

arachnidbrainbugvn3.jpg.762132760f98d236a625ca879e3efc87.jpg

House it at your own peril!  😉

Seriously, that is a cool little crab.  What it really is, I have no idea.

• Haha 5
  • Wow 1

I had a bad nightmare experience with a female gall crab and 5 million eggs in one of my first ever corals so I'm a bit gun-shy of all crabs now, lol

But - from what I've now read on various parasitic pea crabs (I'm now far down the research rabbit hole, lol) - as long as you don't have bivalves/clams, you're probably fine. 

Taxonomic identification keys are legit my favorite aspect of biology, but I couldn't find much info on these guys. I'm so curious on the species on this little one - I hope someone can ID it soon.

• Like 2

You had a problem with a gall crab? I thought those were harmless. Don't they kinda just sit in there? 

I'd be very skeptical that any babies were actually born in a tank and survived, since, again, I'm fairly sure all crab larvae are planktonic. Plankton doesn't live long in all but the most specialized systems. If you had new babies showing up, probably they'd already been born and were coming out of hiding.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Tired said:

You had a problem with a gall crab? I thought those were harmless. Don't they kinda just sit in there? 

I'd be very skeptical that any babies were actually born in a tank and survived, since, again, I'm fairly sure all crab larvae are planktonic. Plankton doesn't live long in all but the most specialized systems. If you had new babies showing up, probably they'd already been born and were coming out of hiding.

It was eating up my candy cane coral to live in.  (edit: but my problem was more psychological than actual harm, lol)

There's a lot of conflicting information about gall crabs actually (like everything in reefing, haha).

Interestingly, I've learned not all crab larvae are strictly planktonic - there are also ones that live off their yolk! Lecithotrophic!  (Parasitic Crustacea: State of Knowledge and Future Trends edited by Nico J. Smit, Niel L. Bruce, Kerry A. Hadfield)

• Like 2

@Tamberav I really hope you get this guy now - or at least get a pic of his face to help with ID lol

I'm now thinking that he actually is just having a bad molt and that isn't an actual part of his carapace.

For any other crazy ppl interested - I found some really good sites regarding crab id - this one has amazing pictures and information, and I love the categorization on the main page based on shape: https://www.crabdatabase.info/en  

This one too: http://v3.boldsystems.org/index.php/TaxBrowser_Taxonpage?taxid=336

And this one for helping with crustacean specific morphological definitions to help with id : https://crustacea.academic.ru/ 

(Also did you know this was in the sponsor forum? I'm thinking maybe it was meant for identification forum instead?)

• Like 2

I do know it is a sponsor forum... But I also know @johnmaloney might know what it is since he seems to like strange inverts. 

I don't think it is a bad molt. It is very uniform. He moves very slow but seems fine. I think they had a flame scallop in the tank with him at one point so maybe a pea crab that feeds on those? 

Here are the photos.. LFS employees thought I was a bit strange wanting a pest crab but I told them we got a forum of weirdos trying to figure out what it is.. 😋 Besides... Isn't that what we love about the ocean... Endless discoveries! 

MVIMG_20191130_161226.thumb.jpg.1b79080788b6742ea13aec3685dd9546.jpgMVIMG_20191130_161239.thumb.jpg.10d2df9594046cd6b21c6dcff1aa8370.jpgMVIMG_20191130_161254.thumb.jpg.b5e5cf2f8529513ac3af08e0eb7c3d20.jpgMVIMG_20191130_161328.thumb.jpg.87a6e4ed05cb2a02f4666bd5d6234d2a.jpgMVIMG_20191130_161409.thumb.jpg.c9f2c8adff949d6365dd54dc1656a511.jpgMVIMG_20191130_161508.thumb.jpg.defc0ce6a7034c66b6cdba858e24226a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1