Jump to content
Bailyfox

Baileyfox's 7gallon cube

Recommended Posts

Bailyfox

Day 1 - Tank has cleared up and is looking good, I've seen some neat creatures as well as my first aiptasia anemone on my rock work.20191120_132950.thumb.jpg.136ee327943729cf284a246a48deef05.jpg

full tank shot20191120_125432.thumb.jpg.4ad9dbaef45d0172b2698734004bb433.jpg

one of my lovely hitchhiker mushies20191120_124344.thumb.jpg.243c8a650e1086db96a0f18bcb5bdb85.jpg

my hitchhiker bumblebee snail20191120_133557.thumb.jpg.513849c2a72ed74660484dc77f8a6652.jpg

Adorable micro brittle star, I'm so happy to see a few. Hopefully I'll have some feather dusters hiding somewhere as well.

 

I'm thinking of killing the aiptasia by frying it with a lighter and then putting a glob of super glue over it, is this a bad idea?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
9 minutes ago, Bailyfox said:

Finally picking up my live rock tonight after 2 years of careful consideration and planning! Pictures coming soon!

20191119_102528.jpg

Yay! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
sadie

:happydance: congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox

The tank is up! The light is on so I can stare for a bit then I'll shut it off. I have some hitchhiker mushrooms, a snail, bristleworms, pods, and an asterina starfish. I love all of them!

Part0.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox

20191122_174758.thumb.jpg.fa6892f1008843879adf281e92055831.jpg

got this neat pic of one of my micro brittle stars. Did a water test last night, ph is something like 7.8 or 8.0, salinity 1.025, and ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite looked to be at zero for now.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
sadie

cool pic.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Xdub4314

Aquascape looks nice and it is also interesting which can be harder to do in a small tank. I think live rock is a great way to make a nano tank more stable. There are more small organisms creating an ecosystem instead of a sterile environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox
1 hour ago, Xdub4314 said:

Aquascape looks nice and it is also interesting which can be harder to do in a small tank. I think live rock is a great way to make a nano tank more stable. There are more small organisms creating an ecosystem instead of a sterile environment.

Thanks, I went with liverock because it would help cycle faster and keep things more stable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox

Test results today are-

  • Ammonia .25ppm
  • Nitrite-0
  • Nitrate-5.0
  • Salinity- 1.024
  • Ph-8.0

Temperature is 77 degrees 

20191124_115946.thumb.jpg.7eba57ecadd7f4bdb110a9fab1675419.jpg

The tank with indirect natural light

20191124_142113.thumb.jpg.c767341141655045c7d02b9e3c744325.jpg

A lovely example of an asterina starfish

20191124_204307.thumb.jpg.9687c8561af8997a51bd3b1da2fe3dd9.jpg

Mushrooms on the move

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox

20191125_202500.thumb.jpg.87279ba7b0a5f14a3a1d1e1543db58c9.jpg

Could anyone tell me what this dude might be? I thought he was one of my mushrooms at first but he looks different. And what is the tiny white branching stuff next to it?

Share this post


Link to post
Wonderboy

Branching stuff is hydra - that might be a blasto??? Really can't tell though - can you get some more shots of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox

 

25 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Branching stuff is hydra - that might be a blasto??? Really can't tell though - can you get some more shots of it?

Thats a lot of hydra then! Will they be trouble or can I ignore them? I thought it looked sort of like a blasto too (fingers crossed!) but I will get better pics shortly!

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox

More pics of the strange dude

Part0.thumb.jpg.aa3e905bf9f4df9a31fe162b7b1a1c73.jpg

 

Part0.thumb.jpg.8ba7868f20759e2b888b3fa34e0a90c8.jpg

 

Part2.thumb.jpg.47321d32022f209759e76b085f6848ec.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Wonderboy

I would ignore them for now - they usually go away on their own. That mystery polyp is so interesting - still looks a little like a blasto, but still hard to confirm

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox
2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

I would ignore them for now - they usually go away on their own. That mystery polyp is so interesting - still looks a little like a blasto, but still hard to confirm

So far we're thinking it could either be a blasto or a trumpet coral.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox

11/26/2019 water test results-

Ph- 8.0

Ammonia- 0.25

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate- 5-10 (hard to tell which)

Salinity- 1.024

20191125_202921.thumb.jpg.2a300bbcafc69ecd84be665fa11bddc1.jpg

Mushroom lookin big and happy

20191127_164205.thumb.jpg.73d9bb2a9646024a5ec32a06ee30fa7a.jpg

Mushrooms on the other side looking happier after they moved

20191127_163652.thumb.jpg.8bed8547c6c75224facdb6f487d30c95.jpg

One more full tank shot until I return Sunday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox

20191127_165406(0).thumb.jpg.037e3cb5979d96d9809846b91064409e.jpg

This asterina waved his suction cup thingies at me, I've also noticed lots of pods on my glass which is great!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox

 

12/01/2019 test results 

Ph 8.4 (higher than last tests)

Ammonia- 0.25

Nitrite- Still zero

Nitrate-10

Salinity- 1.024

 

Diotomes are a'bloomin. I was seeing mixed results when double checking whether or not to have a light on for hitch hiker coral so i decided to temperarily move my timer from my kingsnake cage to here until i returned to be safe.

20191201_171811.thumb.jpg.d311a346575dc35a2a1c1d56bd40cef3.jpg

Is it strange to not see Nitrite come and go yet? Should I leave the diatoms on the sand bed alone or to a small water change to manually remove them? I'm assuming since my cycle isn't over yet I should wait on the water change.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Xdub4314

From what I understand diatoms are food sources for bacteria. I would leave it and they will go away on their own if your chemistry is proper and your system is balanced.

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox
6 minutes ago, Xdub4314 said:

From what I understand diatoms are food sources for bacteria. I would leave it and they will go away on their own if your chemistry is proper and your system is balanced.

I figured Its best to leave them be. Do my test results indicate proper levels for a young tank thus far in your opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox

I've decided to try and keep a detailed log of water tests, algae/diatome status, livestock etc. We'll see how long I can keep it up (I tend to get lazy), but so far so good!

20191201_175611.thumb.jpg.a1d7bf89e6c18684cfde24d8175fc4e9.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Xdub4314
19 hours ago, Bailyfox said:

I figured Its best to leave them be. Do my test results indicate proper levels for a young tank thus far in your opinion?

It’s not something I would be too concerned about. Just make sure you are feeding the tank and look for signs of a cycled tank. Algae, diatoms, 0 ammonia, things like that. What test kits are you using? It could be possible that your tank is filtering everything but your test kits are inaccurate.

Edited by Xdub4314

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox
7 hours ago, Xdub4314 said:

It’s not something I would be too concerned about. Just make sure you are feeding the tank and look for signs of a cycled tank. Algae, diatoms, 0 ammonia, things like that. What test kits are you using? It could be possible that your tank is filtering everything but your test kits are inaccurate.

I'm using the API test kit which I know isn't the most accurate, I'm planning on bringing a sample to my lfs in order to cross-check the results this weekend.

 

I've started with livesand and 10ibs of liverock,  and diatomes are showing. It is possible the test results are inaccurate.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
14 hours ago, Bailyfox said:

I'm using the API test kit which I know isn't the most accurate, I'm planning on bringing a sample to my lfs in order to cross-check the results this weekend.

 

I've started with livesand and 10ibs of liverock,  and diatomes are showing. It is possible the test results are inaccurate.

Check what kits your LFS use as well, I know mine use eh API test kits

Share this post


Link to post
Bailyfox

Found a mystery paly hiding behind one of my rocks, not half bad looking!20191201_192451.thumb.jpg.7d3420dc4954308e9b33dfa90e0f4cfb.jpg

Also, Besides not being able to scrape the glass completely clean are there any downsides to pushing my rocks closer to the back? I want to maximize the open space in the tank if possible.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...