Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need help with Elegance Coral

BKATZ1

I have a fragged peice of elegance coral that has been doing great for a month, now it has mucus forming around the fragged side. Any idea's? Healing, sick... anyone see this before. Eats well seemed happy until now. Water parameters are in check. Thanks in advance.

20191020_090729.jpg

20191020_090733.jpg

Elegance didn't make it... jelly killed it super quick. Stripped it quick, did iodine dip that slowed it 2 days then it was gone. Thanks anyways for all the help.

Tank is 4 months old.

Parameters when it died.

Ca 485

Alk 8.5

Mg 1480

No3 0

Po4 0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, BKATZ1 said:

No3 0

Po4 0

If you starve just about any coral of phosphates, they'll be at risk of bleaching and death.  Starving of nitrates too just completes the "bad deal" of slow starvation and inability to complete basic biological processes.

Without access to dissolved phosphates, corals are apt to take continuous cellular damage from the essential process of photosynthesis.

(Read this: Is the coral-algae symbiosis really ‘mutually beneficial’ for the partners? and this Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates)

Without basic nutrients for protection OR for repair ALL THE WHILE taking continuous cellular damage.....they're doomed.   

In this case, call the external symptom "brown jelly" or call it Scooby Doo.  I would blame the lack of nutrients mostly...it prolly didn't have a chance.

When you think about how massive that polyp was, you can imagine that their demand for nutrients would be equally massive.

Can you describe your system, including age, filters, other equipment, maintenance routine, etc? 

If you're doing anything to keep nutrients ultra-low like that, such as running GFO, organic carbon dosing, using an algae filter, or extra bio-media, etc....stop.

How is algae growth in the tank?  Ultra-low nutrient levels like that are GREAT for making weird/bad algae like dino's dominate.   

You REALLY want hair algae and coralline algae instead....and BOTH require ample dissolved nutrients....nitrates and phosphates among them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mcarroll said:

If you starve just about any coral of phosphates, they'll be at risk of bleaching and death.  Starving of nitrates too just completes the "bad deal" of slow starvation and inability to complete basic biological processes.

Without access to dissolved phosphates, corals are apt to take continuous cellular damage from the essential process of photosynthesis.

(Read this: Is the coral-algae symbiosis really ‘mutually beneficial’ for the partners? and this Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates)

Without basic nutrients for protection OR for repair ALL THE WHILE taking continuous cellular damage.....they're doomed.   

In this case, call the external symptom "brown jelly" or call it Scooby Doo.  I would blame the lack of nutrients mostly...it prolly didn't have a chance.

When you think about how massive that polyp was, you can imagine that their demand for nutrients would be equally massive.

Can you describe your system, including age, filters, other equipment, maintenance routine, etc? 

If you're doing anything to keep nutrients ultra-low like that, such as running GFO, organic carbon dosing, using an algae filter, or extra bio-media, etc....stop.

How is algae growth in the tank?  Ultra-low nutrient levels like that are GREAT for making weird/bad algae like dino's dominate.   

You REALLY want hair algae and coralline algae instead....and BOTH require ample dissolved nutrients....nitrates and phosphates among them.

Thanks for help. Your explanation is dead on with what I'm starting to see now in the tank. Starting to see Dino algea and some hair algea.

As for the tank it is 4 months old. IM 25 Lagoon. I have filter socks, ceramic media spheres, and last chemipure blue behind the return pump. I just started my water changes 2 months back. I'm doing 5 gallons every week and half. Livestock is 2 clowns, one trachy, frogspawn, one fungia plate, and some Zoa's. 

20191024211828.jpg

• Like 1