Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TJ's Pokemon Reef Build - Adaptive Reef is EPIC

TJ_Burton

859974599_TJsPokeReef.png.bfe626cbdbfcfea06f516d2e426f36e0.png

Hey everyone!

I am super excited to announce that I have a brand new build underway courtesy of Adaptive Reef & Ecotech Marine who stepped forward and offered to rebuild my personal aquarium that was abruptly halted by hurricane Dorian. I can not put into words how thankful I am of their incredible generosity. This is going to be a great opportunity to do something really crazy, exciting, and just different from what we normally see out there! I have to admit, I was inspired by some of the recent themed builds I have seen, like Tigahboy's super cool volcano reef, and decided I wanted to step outside of my typical reefing comfort zone and do something with a really neat theme.

So yes, this is going to be a POKEMON THEMED build!

Kyle Elder of Adaptive Reef and I have been working on an idea I had that I haven't seen done before; I want to incorporate both a vivarium and a reef into the same display. It will certainly have some challenges, for instance, plants don't like salt (save for hydrophytes and mangroves) so keeping salt away from the vivarium plants is critical. Not entirely sure how we will tackle that yet, but it will be a fun challenge!

Kyle absolutely insisted we go absolutely nuts with the design of this build, and are also going to be incorporating ideas for having the theme carry outside of the display as well, rather than just inside of it. That is more Kyle's expertise, so I've left that entirely up to him and only sent various Pokemon references for him to work off of. I am really excited to see what he comes up with! Some of the elements to be used within the display are directly from my noggin, and are a tad elaborate, so hopefully Kyle can pull it off! (I have complete faith in his company and his ability to bring a massive project like this to life).

As a little preview, Kyle sent me a "little gift" to kick things off. Needless to say, if this is his idea of a little gift, I absolutely can not wait to see how this build turns out!!!

1561734722_TJWallPokeball.thumb.jpg.81419cb170bd30164059ab765e62a89d.jpg328130946_WallPokeballLED.thumb.jpg.1bdd7246eb1464d60e3e69ffb3f4faeb.jpg

Now, I am sure you can tell in the photos by the plastic wrapped aquarium that I am still waiting for insurance to re-finish the basement, but it looks like that time has almost come! I am guessing 3 weeks and the basement will be back in action and ready for this EPIC reef aquarium. 

I am also going to be filming this build as a series for Big Al's VOD on youtube, so feel free to watch along there too!

• Like 8
  • Wow 2
4 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Wow!  A vivarium and a reef?? This is going to be one for the ages!  

This is going to put any build I've ever done on my own to shame. Hahaha... once in a lifetime opportunity I feel!

I'm really excited 😀

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

:whoa:  WOW.  This really is going to be an epic build!  And who doesn't like Pokemon?  Who?!

Only people without a childhood or a soul don't like Pokémon! hahaha

And honestly, the further down the creative rabbit hole I go with Kyle, the crazier this build gets... I can't even put it into words! I just can't wait to show everyone when its finished, and how we got to that finish line! 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
11 hours ago, Chris@CoralVue said:

I can't think of another tank build I am more excited to watch unfold!

Thanks Chris!!! It should be tons of fun!

8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

sword-and-shields-gigantamax-meowth-is-a

Long Cat Giagantimax Meowth is freaking awesome! hahaha, so is fat Pikachu!

I'll be honest. I'm old! While I've certainly heard of Poke Mon, and I could probably pick Picachu (I think that's a relevant character) out of a line up, I know nothing about the cartoon. But, I love fun, and this looks like fun, so I'll be following this one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I'll be honest. I'm old! While I've certainly heard of Poke Mon, and I could probably pick Picachu (I think that's a relevant character) out of a line up, I know nothing about the cartoon. But, I love fun, and this looks like fun, so I'll be following this one.

Haha you nailed it!

...and you're here, which is all that matters 🙂

Thanks for tagging along!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, lobster876 said:

cant wait for sword and shield tbh. ive played through lets go but hoping sword and shield is slightly better

I think Sword and Shield is going to be one of the best in the series based on everything I've seen so far. ORAS was probably my favorite of the more recent games, although I also enjoyed Let's Go Pikachu for the nostalgia and Pkmn Go style capture system. Was a fun spin on a classic!

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, ef4life said:

Following along and anxiously waiting for the sword and shield release myself.

I preordered through Amazon and I am not sure if I will get them on the release day... bummer. Guessing Tuesday instead. I will have to wait a few days longer than the rest of the world lol.

9 hours ago, TJ_Burton said:

I preordered through Amazon and I am not sure if I will get them on the release day... bummer. Guessing Tuesday instead. I will have to wait a few days longer than the rest of the world lol.

I preordered through amazon too, I’m hoping they show up Friday, but idk we will see I guess.

On 10/25/2019 at 7:54 AM, Pjanssen said:

I am with Penny................only older :lol:

• Like 3
On 11/13/2019 at 11:46 PM, ef4life said:

I preordered through amazon too, I’m hoping they show up Friday, but idk we will see I guess.

My copies shipped Thursday but won't arrive until Tuesday... kind of saw that coming. I live rural in a small province that doesn't have its own fulfillment center so I suppose I can't be too frustrated.

On 11/14/2019 at 12:12 AM, spectra said:

I am with Penny................only older :lol:

Hahahaha, welllllllllll I am sure the execution and quality of this custom build will appeal to any reefer! It will just be extra cool to Pokemon fans 😛

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Probably not 😉

Thats right you have grand kids.....................well I am half a century :lol: no grand kids though.............

Just now, spectra said:

Thats right you have grand kids.....................well I am half a century :lol: no grand kids though.............

I'm proud to say I turned double nickles last month. Grandkid is the best thing ever!! #2 due in a few weeks. Sorry @TJ_Burton, didn't mean to hack your thread

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I'm proud to say I turned double nickles last month. Grandkid is the best thing ever!! #2 due in a few weeks. Sorry @TJ_Burton, didn't mean to hack your thread

This is a place for fun and conversation as much as it is about the build! 😄

• Like 2