Pod Your Reef

10 gallon nano reef, no water changes

caleb.barger1

Poison Dart Frog
10 hours ago, caleb.barger1 said:

I have it about halfway in the tank, with medium flow. It looked a little worse a few days ago, but as soon as it started getting more flow it seemed to open up more. Like you said, I'm betting I stressed it out by moving it while it was in the middle of splitting, along with new lighting and flow. I'll give him some time to settle into the new home before I start messing with him again haha.

Also betting my light isn't enough ,I've been thinking about buying a second one.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Marine-Nano-Bluetooth-Watt/dp/B07DWXBWB7 

Thanks again for everyone's info and guidance! 

I have that same light on my 5.5 gallon. Just curious, what settings are you using? Here are mine. Thinking of bumping the whites up to 40% though. With default settings (Sunny Reef or Color Burst) I was getting much more algae growth. Bumping down the reds and whites has helped with that a lot (and the colors look nicer IMO).

Screenshot_20191016-154225_FluvalSmart.jpg

caleb.barger1
13 hours ago, Poison Dart Frog said:

I have that same light on my 5.5 gallon. Just curious, what settings are you using? Here are mine. Thinking of bumping the whites up to 40% though. With default settings (Sunny Reef or Color Burst) I was getting much more algae growth. Bumping down the reds and whites has helped with that a lot (and the colors look nicer IMO).

Screenshot_20191016-154225_FluvalSmart.jpg

I'm at work now so I can't screen shot my settings but I run 100% blue and like 50% white. Along with  maybe 15 percent of light blue and purple. But no reds. I'll post a pic when I'm home later. (I also want to bump my whites down a bit, but I'm scared my light is not powerful enough so I keep them a bit higher)

what do you mean by sunny reef or color burst? Are there extra settings I'm missing?? 

• Like 1
Poison Dart Frog
7 hours ago, caleb.barger1 said:

I'm at work now so I can't screen shot my settings but I run 100% blue and like 50% white. Along with  maybe 15 percent of light blue and purple. But no reds. I'll post a pic when I'm home later. (I also want to bump my whites down a bit, but I'm scared my light is not powerful enough so I keep them a bit higher)

what do you mean by sunny reef or color burst? Are there extra settings I'm missing?? 

There are 3 presets you can choose from. They're kinda hidden, you have to click the 'export' button. They aren't very good though. I think lowering red helped with algae a lot. 

Screenshot_20191017-133612_FluvalSmart.jpg

caleb.barger1
1 minute ago, Poison Dart Frog said:

There are 3 presets you can choose from. They're kinda hidden, you have to click the 'export' button. They aren't very good though. I think lowering red helped with algae a lot. 

Screenshot_20191017-133612_FluvalSmart.jpg

Okay, I see now haha. I'll have to mess around with it when I get home. But while we are here I've got a question!

In the picture above, there is 0%white, while all the others arent. Is this okay for corals? Can they soak up the reds, purples and blues and use them to grow? I was under the impression that you wanted a decent amount of whites and the other colors were for looks really (someone told me this somewhere, not sure where tho)

Poison Dart Frog
5 minutes ago, caleb.barger1 said:

Okay, I see now haha. I'll have to mess around with it when I get home. But while we are here I've got a question!

In the picture above, there is 0%white, while all the others arent. Is this okay for corals? Can they soak up the reds, purples and blues and use them to grow? I was under the impression that you wanted a decent amount of whites and the other colors were for looks really (someone told me this somewhere, not sure where tho)

That is the Deep Sea Glow preset. I've never used it for any length of time (it does look nice though) because I figured at least some white would be necessary (but I don't know that for a fact). I've seen growth with 30% white for quite a while now, but I'm not sure how low whites could be set and still have everything open up normally and grow. 

People used to grow these animals with low-spectrum halides, oldschool mentality held that whites grew and blues made the animals look good. 
Probably not 100% accurate, but whites can and will grow more algae, reds are even worse for algae and seem to offer only fringe-benefits. 
16000k used to be the spectrum people shot for, these days most folks go FAR more blue, with 20000k almost being too white for some it seems.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

People used to grow these animals with low-spectrum halides, oldschool mentality held that whites grew and blues made the animals look good. 
Probably not 100% accurate, but whites can and will grow more algae, reds are even worse for algae and seem to offer only fringe-benefits. 
16000k used to be the spectrum people shot for, these days most folks go FAR more blue, with 20000k almost being too white for some it seems.

Ya, I recently upped my white from 10% to 15% for longer than I had before and I now get algae on my glass.

Before white went from 10% to 6% and I had no algae on my glass.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Poison Dart Frog said:

That is the Deep Sea Glow preset. I've never used it for any length of time (it does look nice though) because I figured at least some white would be necessary (but I don't know that for a fact). I've seen growth with 30% white for quite a while now, but I'm not sure how low whites could be set and still have everything open up normally and grow. 

There is a sticky thread on the importance of the different led colours in the lighting forum.

Blues, violets, uv are very important.

White can be run low with the others high and you still will get growth. 

• Like 2
caleb.barger1
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

There is a sticky thread on the importance of the different led colours in the lighting forum.

Blues, violets, uv are very important.

White can be run low with the others high and you still will get growth. 

Awesome! I'll look for that thread. I've just recently upped my whites as well, and I came home today and noticed some small patches of algae starting to form... time to cut them back! (After some research of obviously)

• Like 1
caleb.barger1
On 10/16/2019 at 4:45 PM, Poison Dart Frog said:

I have that same light on my 5.5 gallon. Just curious, what settings are you using?    Screenshot_20191017-165954_FluvalSmart.thumb.jpg.8ea564518d1468e1fd15b743d33b0007.jpg

Waaaaay different from what you were running. 

• Haha 1
caleb.barger1

Ok call me crazy but if you scroll back I was asking about my hammer coral..... I reduced the whites to 35% and within 15 minutes hes "poofing" back up 🤯

• Like 1