Coral Vue Hydros

can i keep a clam?

Maxvan1

I have heard that clams do not do well under 20k bulbs. What others have said is that they are an extremely shallow water inhabitants, and should have a kelvin temp no higher than 10k.

Never having kept a clam, but that seems to be the consensus.

i'v heard they do the best under 6500K but i'v seen a lot under 20K that were doing great, i would say go for it just keep it in the rock work

depends on what kind of clam you want to keep. Most should do well under the lighting regime, but make sure you are feeding it something. I have used DT's http://www.dtplankton.com/ in the past, but there are now other products with more than just 3 species of algae in them. i cant remember the name of it right now, but there is a really good mixture with something like 9 species of algae including zooxanthellae. as far as clam species, you could definately keep a t. durasa or a t. squamosa, and more than likely a t. crocea or t. maxima. just make sure when you buy it that its healthy and the byssal threads are attached firmly to a rock and not just weakly hanging on.

Originally posted by Mnesarchus

Do some research, clams require more than light and permission from some people on the internet.

Now that's funny.

ok, quit question, if i dosed kalk by drip bags, how much should i drip? like let it drip through the night every other day? would that be enough? to much? (would drip into sump then the sump)

Originally posted by Maxvan1

ok, quit question, if i dosed kalk by drip bags, how much should i drip? like let it drip through the night every other day? would that be enough? to much? (would drip into sump then the sump)

You need to do some major research. Each tank is different and needs to be dealt with on their own. The only way to determine what YOUR tank would use it to test, add some CA or AK or a 2 part Bionic type system and test again. YOU have to figure out what YOUR tank needs. There is a simple guideline on the bottles but it all depends on what corals, clams if any, and whatever else you have in your tank.

The big thing is TEST, dose TEST again and so on.

Do some research, clams require more than light and permission from some people on the internet.

this should be the answer to every question raised like this on this entire board.

dripping kalk is not something to be taken lightly. depending on how many SPS corals you have in your tank depends on how fast your calcium gets depleted, which in return determines how much kalk (or calcium) needs to be added back to the tank each day. trial and error is the only way to calculate it. and make sure you've picked up a calcium test kit before dosing kalkwasser.

you are putting your entire tank in jeopardy by asking questions like these. only research can answer them, not some people on an internet forum which you have no idea of their intentions, or their experience level.

Archived