ReefCleaners.org

lets talk temp control...

devaji108

while I let some paint dry, let's talk nano temp control.

I have a finexx heater for my 18.5 RFA build but would like to add some sort of emergency shut off. 

I have an apex free but it will move to the big tank once we move in 2-4ish months.

I would like to play with the apex as I have not used it much since I got it. but  not sure I can have two tanks on 1 unit with the wires running through the house.  on 1 hand i really wish they made the modules wifi but on the other I see why they did not. but still think it would have been a good idea for ppl with more than 1 tank.  

other options is:

the inkbird.-  affordable  no wifi or other features

learn how to use the reef pi I have. the cheapest option. but a big learning curve... 

find a used apex- nah to expensive

what is everybody using for nano  temp or controllers?

34 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I use the inkbird - it seems to work well... But I have seen some people complain of the probe rusting over time, so I've kept a close eye on it. 

I wonder if it's cost effective for the inkbirk  VS a cheap controller might be able  to pick up something for 2 to 3X the inkbird? 

on the other hand keeping it simple sounds great!

I just had an inkbird fail in the off position.  Tank got cold ,but there was no losses... there have been a handful of people on NR who had the same problem.. I wouldnt use one again.  I believe finnex make a a controller that's more reliable, from what I've heard at least.  Oh and inkbird does make one now that has a plastic replaceable probe now..  the plastic is better but the fact that they made it replaceable screams unreliable to me🤷‍♂️..  just me two cents ... happy reefing...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FISHnChix said:

I just had an inkbird fail in the off position.  Tank got cold ,but there was no losses... there have been a handful of people on NR who had the same problem.. I wouldnt use one again.  I believe finnex make a a controller that's more reliable, from what I've heard at least.  Oh and inkbird does make one now that has a plastic replaceable probe now..  the plastic is better but the fact that they made it replaceable screams unreliable to me🤷‍♂️..  just me two cents ... happy reefing...

I just saw that on BRS. my thoughts too. maybe to many were rusting? IDK

anyone use a ranco  temp controller? I hear there better as there made for industry.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't trust an ink bird controller at all. If you read the amazon reviews they are horrible. A lot of them said they have failed by making the water too cold like FISHnChix said.  You are better off picking up a used apex jr for around $150 or so, that's what I did for my nano 10g frag tank. I bought the apex el for my 30g. If you can wait till the beginning of next year Coralvue is coming out with a controller that's only $200 for the entry level model and has a lot of functions. I saw it on one the the 2019 macna videos, its called the Hydros but not too much on the web about it yet. 

D8C0455C-F6B0-4B6A-96BF-09BECCA3AD7D.thumb.jpg.94667bdd6e886a18ef93dfbc0a5866b9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, VaporCountry said:

I wouldn't trust an ink bird controller at all. If you read the amazon reviews they are horrible. A lot of them said they have failed by making the water too cold like FISHnChix said.  You are better off picking up a used apex jr for around $150 or so, that's what I did for my nano 10g frag tank. I bought the apex el for my 30g. If you can wait till the beginning of next year Coralvue is coming out with a controller that's only $200 for the entry level model and has a lot of functions. I saw it on one the the 2019 macna videos, its called the Hydros but not too much on the web about it yet. 

D8C0455C-F6B0-4B6A-96BF-09BECCA3AD7D.thumb.jpg.94667bdd6e886a18ef93dfbc0a5866b9.jpg

yup I saw that too. not in person just on the forms. I am excited about it. yeah I can wait. i'll use my "wifi"  apex until be move just for the heater hopefully they do come out Q1 of 2020 like they said. supprised there not much info on them yet? if the release date is coming up one would think they would be advertising and getting there promo vids going so PPl know not to spend all there $$ on BF...

but i guess Q1 is 1st 4 months so really they have 8 months. but after all the failed release dates with apex and vortex  I take everything with a grain of salt..pun intended lol   

• Like 1
CoralVue Aquarium Products
18 minutes ago, VaporCountry said:

Thank you for sharing! 

https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-control-2

https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-control-4

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I use inkbird. Been great. 2 year now with the same units. Spot on temp and alarm goes off if there is an issue.

Keep an eye on it. Mine went out around the 1.5 year mark. The worst part it it didnt just turn off it started reading temperature too high.  So it would read 80 degrees and then turn off my heater.. in reality my tank was 71 degrees.. luckily it wasnt enough to kill anything.. crappy part was I didnt have a back up thermometer in the tank, so it was like this for weeks ... I figured it out bc when I stuck my hand in the water felt a little cool , so I checked it with a digital thermometer..

Fyi I did calibrated the unit but it drifted off again 2 weeks later.. it was at that point I felt my "fail safe" was just creating more problems.. also there us 2 others on here that had the same problem , and other reviews on amazon with the same thing.  Just something to watch out for...

• Like 2

Keep an eye on it. Mine went out around the 1.5 year mark. The worst part it it didnt just turn off it started reading temperature too high.  So it would read 80 degrees and then turn off my heater.. in reality my tank was 71 degrees.. luckily it wasnt enough to kill anything.. crappy part was I didnt have a back up thermometer in the tank, so it was like this for weeks ... I figured it out bc when I stuck my hand in the water felt a little cool , so I checked it with a digital thermometer..

Fyi I did calibrated the unit but it drifted off again 2 weeks later.. it was at that point I felt my "fail safe" was just creating more problems.. also there us 2 others on here that had the same problem , and other reviews on amazon with the same thing.  Just something to watch out for...

Thanks.

I check every day.

I don't trust equipment regardless of brand.

Unfortunately all brands of all equipment have models that fail.

Including the best heaters, lights, etc.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I use inkbird. Been great. 2 year now with the same units. Spot on temp and alarm goes off if there is an issue.

I concur. Mines been great. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I concur. Mines been great. 

I expect that with any electronic device, there are hundreds that use a product with no failure, and a few that have failures.

There isn't a product out there without a complaint or units with a problem. 

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

There isn't a product out there without a complaint or units with a problem. 

Unfortunately with manufacturing now a days that's correct, not to mention a lot of failures are from user error... what I look for is for reviews are ones  that involve a recurring problem that would indicate a poor product or weak link in the product.. with the inkbird I saw the same exact failure in person, from nano reefers, and from online reviews.. then I saw that inkbird changed their probe and also made it replaceable.. too many red flags for me to buy one again.. sucks bc I really liked the huge led display of temperature...

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Unfortunately with manufacturing now a days that's correct, not to mention a lot of failures are from user error... what I look for is for reviews are ones  that involve a recurring problem that would indicate a poor product or weak link in the product.. with the inkbird I saw the same exact failure in person, from nano reefers, and from online reviews.. then I saw that inkbird changed their probe and also made it replaceable.. too many red flags for me to buy one again.. sucks bc I really liked the huge led display of temperature...

They changed the probe because so many ppl complained about a metal probe being used in a tank.

It's an improvement, most companies change things to enhance performance as well as a wider range of purposes

These are also used for other purposes outside of reef hobby.

There are also a few models available.

All the reviews I read were positive. The few ppl on this thread are the first negatives I have heard on inkbird.

My point is, if i personally didn't use something due to some negative reviews- i wouldn't have a tank at all.

Innovative marine leaks

Biocube bursts

Marineland cracks, leaks

Eheim jagger, finnex, neotherm, marineland, aqueon- every heater brand has shattering, malfunctions, fire, leaking plastic - reviews

Rusting magnets, bad salt mixes, you name it, it's out there.

I think the 1 product I haven't heard a negative review on or issues with is the Radion lights.

Not even Vortech pumps are immune.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

My point is, if i personally didn't use something due to some negative reviews- i wouldn't have a tank at all.

Once again my point is not the fact that it has negative reviews, but that it has the exact same problem I had in the negitive reviews..  i looked for 2 seconds on amazon and here are the bad reviews..  and I'm glad your happy with the product but I for one would not recommend a SAFEGUARD product that fails in this way over and over.. now if it was hey I have a temperature fail safe and the LED display started messing up ok I get it .. or hey the plug frays after 2 or 3 years ok. 

Screenshot_20190904-092824_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190904-092834_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190904-092845_Chrome.jpg

17 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Once again my point is not the fact that it has negative reviews, but that it has the exact same problem I had in the negitive reviews..  i looked for 2 seconds on amazon and here are the bad reviews..  and I'm glad your happy with the product but I for one would not recommend a SAFEGUARD product that fails in this way over and over.. now if it was hey I have a temperature fail safe and the LED display started messing up ok I get it .. or hey the plug frays after 2 or 3 years ok. 

Screenshot_20190904-092824_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190904-092834_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190904-092845_Chrome.jpg

That's the older unit.

How many faulty to perfectly fine units? 

That goes for every other faulty product.

I use the ITC 308.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

How many faulty to perfectly fine units

Well shoot let me call the factory real quick and see what i can find out 🤦‍♂️... I've made my point , so I'll let the op or anyone else make their own decision...

As for it being the "older" unit, well they still sell this unit. Look at the reviews they are very recent. for record the unit I had was only for heating control (not the green one that does heating and cooling)and did have the metal probe.. but then again mine didnt rust or look damaged from salt water what so ever, it just drifted so far off that it turned my heater off way to early. Luckily it didnt happen when I was on vacation in the winter time... 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Can't have a heater fail if you don't have one. 😄

I don't run my tank with a heater. Also, I live in Texas. 

Lol that's funny I was the same way when I had a biocube .. thing stayed warm with the closed lid ... now that I have a rimless tank I cant get away with it.. 

• Like 1

Lol that's funny I was the same way when I had a biocube .. thing stayed warm with the closed lid ... now that I have a rimless tank I cant get away with it.. 

My problem has always been trying to cool my tank down. All my heat input sources will raise my tank to about 81-82 during peak lighting, even during winter. 

Rimless tank here as well. 

2 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

Can't have a heater fail if you don't have one. 😄

I don't run my tank with a heater. Also, I live in Texas. 

true that! well I live in Wyoming in the mountains  on average we get 459" of snow per year so I think I heat is a must. 

but think of moving to the beach often...but then you have hurricanes.