Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Acans Dead?

vqreefer

The other day I fed and did a water change and my acans and frogspawn were staying closed up. I left for work and care back and my acans were shriveled up and covered in slime. Now it looks like it is dead to the skeleton in some spots. Does anyone have any ideas what could have happened? Everything else is doing fine and they’re not close enough to anything dangerous. My guess is that the feeding mucous from the frogspawn could’ve stung it. I hope it can still come back 😔

8238691F-80C5-404E-86D1-C6D477B8CF6F.jpeg

F5932F5D-79A0-4F07-84AD-31CCFA1A128B.jpeg

232BB29C-42D6-4A16-92B5-7B444F44666D.jpeg

From where the frogspawn and acan are in the tank, I don't think that they were close enough to sting each other. And I also noticed that a few more corals were closed up in the second pic. Did you test your salinity or alkalinity? Sometimes the water you change is a different salinity than your tank normally is, which can cause corals to close up. 

The frogspawn can bounce back in a couple days. The acan looks a little worse though.

Should recover if conditions are stable but I would try and figure out why this happened. Large change in alk or salinity change most likely. 

16 minutes ago, Joevember said:

From where the frogspawn and acan are in the tank, I don't think that they were close enough to sting each other. And I also noticed that a few more corals were closed up in the second pic. Did you test your salinity or alkalinity? Sometimes the water you change is a different salinity than your tank normally is, which can cause corals to close up. 

The frogspawn can bounce back in a couple days. The acan looks a little worse though.

13 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Should recover if conditions are stable but I would try and figure out why this happened. Large change in alk or salinity change most likely. 

Salinity is still 1.026 I need to test alk. I’ve added coral but other than that no big changes in the tank. All my other corals are fine. I’m not worried about the frogspawn it’s starting to open a little and hasn’t lost color.  

dKh is a bit high at 10. But if that's what it always is, then you wouldn't have a rapid decline in the acans. And if you did have a rapid jump then your other corals would suffer as well. could the food you used have been tainted? Whatever caused it, it doesn't  look good for the acans. I would try daily target feeding with mysys or some other meaty food. This will also mean that you should do a few extra water changes to help avoid adding too many extra nutrients to the tank.

BTW, your frogspawn looks more like a hammer to me.

Hope everything recovers.

Personally, I would switch salts to something with lower alk. Higher alk generally means you need to keep a tighter control on parameters, a swing from 9-10alk is worse than a swing from 7-8alk. 

LPS will use a fair amount of alk as they grow and since we don't know what it was before there is no way of knowing the exact cause. 

• Like 1
On 7/26/2019 at 1:32 PM, Pjanssen said:

dKh is a bit high at 10. But if that's what it always is, then you wouldn't have a rapid decline in the acans. And if you did have a rapid jump then your other corals would suffer as well. could the food you used have been tainted? Whatever caused it, it doesn't  look good for the acans. I would try daily target feeding with mysys or some other meaty food. This will also mean that you should do a few extra water changes to help avoid adding too many extra nutrients to the tank.

BTW, your frogspawn looks more like a hammer to me.

Hope everything recovers.

I have some other acans I got from a friend that mostly died but the remaining heads look good and the rest of tong corals are fine so I’m really not sure what happened. In that pic I see why it looks like a hammer but I’ll double check ID later.

On 7/26/2019 at 1:42 PM, Tamberav said:

Personally, I would switch salts to something with lower alk. Higher alk generally means you need to keep a tighter control on parameters, a swing from 9-10alk is worse than a swing from 7-8alk. 

LPS will use a fair amount of alk as they grow and since we don't know what it was before there is no way of knowing the exact cause. 

This was water I bought from LFS that uses Red Sea. I’ll look into using something else if needed. 

It looks like they’re dead. Maybe there’s some still alive on the other side I’ll have to check when I get home in a few hours. It’s so weird that they died but everything else is fine. Maybe it could’ve been the mysis I fed. I know things go wrong fast in a pico but I clean regularly and only feed once or twice a week before cleaning. It’ll all be moved into a new tank soon so maybe that’ll help. 

1B7B9F34-BD53-4954-B295-2C50E324A1DB.jpeg

There’s a tiny bit of tissue that might be alive but I think it’s gone. On the bright side, the acans my neighbor gave me are coming back and I think I see some new heads. My frogspawn (someone confirm) is open again too. 

A430AC40-7A20-497A-9510-17A833CEEACC.jpeg

9AAF2318-43F2-461D-BDFD-BD6013FA2F2F.jpeg

E52B930D-CBE9-41F2-A582-87B78F55C0FE.jpeg

• Like 1

I see things like this happen a lot with LFS water. Sometimes I wonder if they don't mix it per the directions, some you need to mix slower or only bring up the temp after fully mixed, not sure how long they store it, some salts don't seem to store well.... etc etc... 

7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I see things like this happen a lot with LFS water. Sometimes I wonder if they don't mix it per the directions, some you need to mix slower or only bring up the temp after fully mixed, not sure how long they store it, some salts don't seem to store well.... etc etc... 

I’ve used it for a while with no issue. I haven’t been mixing it other than shaking the jug a bit maybe that’s an issue. I’m still thinking it could’ve been whatever mucous/slime was on top of it. Of every coral in the tank those were open the most often and always colorful and big. It had grown lots of new heads since I bought it but now it’s all dead. It’s the first coral I’ve lost and it was one of my favorites but as with all things in this hobby I’ll learn from it and be glad that’s all I lost. 

8 hours ago, vqreefer said:

I’ve used it for a while with no issue. I haven’t been mixing it other than shaking the jug a bit maybe that’s an issue. I’m still thinking it could’ve been whatever mucous/slime was on top of it. Of every coral in the tank those were open the most often and always colorful and big. It had grown lots of new heads since I bought it but now it’s all dead. It’s the first coral I’ve lost and it was one of my favorites but as with all things in this hobby I’ll learn from it and be glad that’s all I lost. 

Ya, I just mean I have seen LFS water does fine until.. it doesn't. So just be careful. I saw one tank crash because the LFS gave them RO water instead of Salt water by accident and the person didn't check it. I saw another crash because a rusty screw fell into the LFS mixing bucket and went unnoticed... etc. 

ECLS Reefer
16 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I’ve tested my LFS RODI water and found it’s got like 100 TDS, so not very clean at all. I started making my own salt after I decided going to their store meant buying stuff I didn’t go there for in the first place, but it’s the same salt they use as it turns out. 

10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Ya, I just mean I have seen LFS water does fine until.. it doesn't. So just be careful. I saw one tank crash because the LFS gave them RO water instead of Salt water by accident and the person didn't check it. I saw another crash because a rusty screw fell into the LFS mixing bucket and went unnoticed... etc. 

10 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I’ve tested my LFS RODI water and found it’s got like 100 TDS, so not very clean at all. I started making my own salt after I decided going to their store meant buying stuff I didn’t go there for in the first place, but it’s the same salt they use as it turns out. 

I’ll definitely look into making my own. I have another tank now so it would make sense. I trust him and his corals all look great using the same water but you’re right that that could all change.