SaltCritters.com

Cleaner shrimp losing legs and coco worm losing heads

CocoaLemonoa

CocoaLemonoa

So the other day I noticed my cleaner shrimp had one of his legs breaking-down and didn't think much of it. But lately he's been really slow around the tank and today he is missing all his back legs! 2 days ago my coco worm let go of a head so I'm getting kind of worried. What deficiencies could cause this? When the coco lost a head I figured it was just stress from changing to a new tank from the LFS.

All I have in the tank is a purple firefish, emerald crab, the cleaner shrimp, and a coco worm.

Kangster911

I hope the Emerald crab is not the culprit. You got me worried that my crab will one day grow out to be a shrimp legs eating monster

Tuan’s Reef

Never trust a crab.  lol 

my 1st emerald was a model citizen. Bought 2 more to help with the crew and boy was that a mistake. The new comers went to town on my hammer and other softies. They killed the model citizen crab and went on a rampage. Killed fish, tore up my hammer and acans . Got them all out of my tank and never make that mistake again. 

CocoaLemonoa

I'm gonna throw him in my roommies sump for now

It pulls down my coral daily so I'm already pretty annoyed with it. I saw him take a snip at my shrimp like an hour ago so he's definitely earned a time-out.

The crab could do it, water quailty issues can do it.

Coco/feather dusters will bail our of their encasing when moved, touched too much, irritated, not enough food, or poor water quality. 

They can create a new tube providing they are safe from predators during that time or else the worm is vulnerable.

37 minutes ago, CocoaLemonoa said:

I gotta think it's from the move. I feed a small amount once or twice a day and have great water quality.

Do you feed coral food or phyto? 

Is your Ca and Alk stable?

CocoaLemonoa

I feed with only mysis shrimp. Just tested the CA and got 0.85. For Alk I got 12.

Got a tank across the room using the same water mix and is thriving. This nano gets more frequent water changes though; because it's much smaller.

My temperature does go up or down about 1.5 degrees depending on the weather and time of day. I have two heaters; Could they be messing with eachother? Should I set one a degree lower than the other?

I would set one heater lower than the other.  Why are you running two? Are they lower wattage and you need them both running to keep the temperature up? If it is for backup, I think the idea is to run one at a couple degrees lower than your target. 

2 hours ago, CocoaLemonoa said:

I feed with only mysis shrimp. Just tested the CA and got 0.85. For Alk I got 12.

Got a tank across the room using the same water mix and is thriving. This nano gets more frequent water changes though; because it's much smaller.

My temperature does go up or down about 1.5 degrees depending on the weather and time of day. I have two heaters; Could they be messing with eachother? Should I set one a degree lower than the other?

They are filter feeders so they don't eat mysis.

• Like 1
CocoaLemonoa
9 hours ago, Garf said:

I would set one heater lower than the other.  Why are you running two? Are they lower wattage and you need them both running to keep the temperature up? If it is for backup, I think the idea is to run one at a couple degrees lower than your target. 

Im running two so that they dont work as hard and last longer as-well as backup. I only need one to keep the temp up. Ill turn one down and see if the temp is more stable. I just ordered some kents cuz i read cocos eat that and im sure my shrimp will appreciate it too. Perhaps i need another fish too