Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kessil A80 or AI Prime HD?

Chris O

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and was digging through but couldn't really find what I was looking for so I thought I would make my own post and say hello. So hello everyone!

So, I'm setting up a 10g nano reef. Pretty excited about it, I've been doing a bunch of reading and it's nice to return to the hobby. I currently have 2 planted tanks, and years ago I used to keep saltwater fish and some beginner corals with limited success.

Anyway, primary purpose for this post is a lighting question. I hear great things about the AI Prime and it's ability to grow coral, however, when I look at photos it looks like it definitely gets some pretty bad disco effect. Can anyone shed some light as to how the aquariums look with it? I've never seen anyone running like a daylight sunny mode either, is it possible to get more of a pure white light, almost to replicate what it looks like when reef diving on a sunny day? The other light I'm looking at is a Kessil a80. It appears to be maybe a bit brighter? Can I still program the a80 different colors or is it more restricted? Does anyone recommend one over the other? Something completely different? I'm really hoping to not be restricted to low light corals, I would love to be able to do some SPS.

My other concern is that my tank isn't a cube, it's a 10g aqeon tank in the standard rectangle (10x13x20). Will I be able to cover my tank with either of these lights properly without getting a ton of light pollution?

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Best,

Chris

I have both, prime hd is way way way brighter. Both are great lights either way you go you'll have positives and negatives. My personal opinion is that the A80 lacks a little bit of the punch but has a great color/shimmer. 

Will depend on what corals you want to keep as well. I had some bird nest and montis under my A80.

• Like 1

The Prime HD seems to be very much the stronger light. I opted for the A80 for my 18g C-Vue and it seems to get reasonably good coverage. Both lights can be set to simulate something like shallow-water ocean sunlight (I get this effect at midday with my A80 running 100% intensity and 85% color). However the A80 will require you to buy a Kessil Spectral Controller if you're interested in programming it, while the Prime can be programmed by WiFi and does not require any extra hardware, cables, or other equipment.

Don't get me wrong; I'm quite satisfied with my A80. I like the fact that it is fanless and therefore completely silent, and I also think that it looks pretty slick. I have not had experience with the Prime HD but its huge popularity leads me to believe that it is an excellent choice as well, and probably better bang for your buck considering you don't have to buy a controller.

ReeferBray

Ai prime hd more power more playing options and for the disco ball affect witch I doubt the prime wil do on your size tank you get the diffusers now 

if you go with the kessil pay a little extra and get the a160 , i have one over my 10 gallon nano , the shimmer is awesome !!! don't be fooled with the colour though if i go over 35% intensity the corals close up and i get massive algae blooms. they aslo take a little time to set up in respects to  light schedule - to much and algae every where - to little and you get slow growth. My RBT Anemones love it they move to the top when the lights come on  have excellent colour then crawl back into their wholes at night. My opinion Kessil all day long.

MainelyReefer

Kessil a80=15w max

kessil a160= 40w max

Ai Prime HD= 55w max

IMO the Kessil a160 or the Prime would be fair competition, with the spectral settings being easier on the Kessil and the options on the AI Prime being more numerous.  On a 20” tank a single puck will have shadowing and light spill.  I’m a Kessil fan but get great growth from my ai Prime too.

• Like 1

Due to some major issues with my LED retrofit ( in the biocube hood) I was forced look at other options. decided to removed the hood and went with the AI Prime HD.  My Nems and corals are loving it.  And I love being able to control it with my phone!

Thanks for the input everyone! Although I would say I was leaning towards the Kessil myself, I ended up going with an AI Prime. The only reason is just price, the AI does give you a lot for your money as there is no need to buy a controller.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/2/2019 at 9:13 PM, Chris O said:

Thanks for the input everyone! Although I would say I was leaning towards the Kessil myself, I ended up going with an AI Prime. The only reason is just price, the AI does give you a lot for your money as there is no need to buy a controller.

Since the tank is a rectangle, it seems like side-by-side A80's would have been the better option in terms of coverage - reduced shadows and eliminated light spill.  I'd also have considered strip LED's rather than spotlights for the same reason.

Kessils don't need a controller at all, BTW.   But they can use one. 

There are actual knobs to set color and intensity. 

Use it on a simple appliance timer if the budget is too tight for the controller.  You can save up for the controller later if it's that important.