Coral Vue Hydros

50 Gallon in-wall project

SSMangrove

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hahaha.. i didnt know anyone was still watching this thread. Building the huge door frame tonight hopefully. This will be cool. Unfortunately, i need to drain most of the tank down to even it out as it is 2.5" off and wont match up right :( I have a big job ahead of me tonight! Check back, ill update with pictures as i go.

SOMEONE buy my beauty!!

that is nice being foreign and all. lol. I guess i am a muscle car guy too, sorry at least you are looking for a camaro right?? well the thing that car has going for it is the intercooler, for some reason it makes that car cool... As for your tank, it is so sweet. I hope it works out for you, what is going in the sump? fuge maybe??? well keep us all updated.

if i could get 12k to buy your integ i would man! i already tried talking to my parents about selling my civic and buying this but they weren't having it. lol. it WILL sell...just give it a little time!

I wouldnt take a camaro if it were given to me. Id say going to a camaro would be going a step down actually...I cant stand american cars, ive had them before, I just dont like them. The car is in the usa so id assume its not "foreign" thanks for the compliment though

Quote from billy:

that is nice being foreign and all. lol. I guess i am a muscle car guy too, sorry at least you are looking for a camaro right?? well the thing that car has going for it is the intercooler, for some reason it makes that car cool... As for your tank, it is so sweet

Tank being filled as we speak. I had to make some minor adjustments, which required some major work! Renting some jugs, super human strength, and 3 different tape measurers to ensure accuracy were used.

Ultra cheap ultra cool roof drain gutter sheet! If you have seen my overflow, you'll notice that its just an un protected bulkhead fitting drilled into the back of the tank. I found this piece in the garage. It is plastic so i dont have to worry about it releasing stuff, and it is aesthetically pleasing! A cheap low profile alternative to bulkhead strainers. I credit Bob Hartline from the aquarium www.theaquarium.tv for this idea! :

Ultra cheap ultra cool roof drain gutter sheet! If you have seen my overflow, you'll notice that its just an un protected bulkhead fitting drilled into the back of the tank. I found this piece in the garage. It is plastic so i dont have to worry about it releasing stuff, and it is aesthetically pleasing! A cheap low profile alternative to bulkhead strainers. I credit Bob Hartline from the aquarium www.theaquarium.tv for this idea! :

Sorry about that, I was just curious. Do you know what the flow rate is?

Would a one inch drilled hole in the back of my 15 gallon tank be big enough for an overflow?

I have a one inch round saw bit.

yeah that should be fine. Thats about what i ran on my 15 gallon. 1" drains approximately 500 gallons per hour if im not mistaken. Be careful about drilling if its glass (use a diamond tip drill bit and plenty of water, a wood guide, etc... if you aRE let me know ill send tyou some more info and some good links.

bump...

That looks pretty sweet mangrove. The tank and the integ. I have a 20g hex and a 96 gsr and although i never believed in forced induction, but high 12's is a fast quarter mile. How do you like the GC coilovers? Do you have it with the Koni's? How big in your Greddy EVO piping? Well good luck with selling the car, I have a friend that wants an Integ, but i think 12 hundred is too much for him. Plus his car would be faster than mine, and I wouldn't want that. =). Good luck with the tank too, it's looking pretty nice... it's pretty inspirational to me.

ohhhh there it is!

ps. minor adjustments and front cutting as well as soem other stuff to make it line up more evenly (sanding, puddying, touch up) to come either tomorrow or friday (no time thursday!)

whew, that was a ton of work. im glad i had a lot of help on it! Theres still quite a list of what needs to be done:

Cut rectangle in door for picture frame

Buy beveled framing material to frame up tank

(paint the new wall white?)

Minor touch up and puddying

Order 50-100 more lbs live rock

Purchase 400 watt metal halide or 2x250w

Get some friggin corals!!!

Get clean up crew

Get my dream anthias ;)

Get a school of chalk bass (3-4)

Enjoy my tank as it fills in over the months

Whew thats quite a list

Well so far im ABOUT $300 or so into this tank. Not too bad for an in wall setup. With the above products ill probably be around 800, fortunately it will all happen over a period of time, so it wont hurt my pocket as much! More pics to come soon.

yeah, definetly paint the wall to match your other walls. other than that...at this point...you're a freakin beast for this project! i can't remember if this was asked already or not but...what are you going to do about heat issues? it's gotta get fairly warm in that closet...especially when spring/summer rolls around next year.

looking real clean man!

Archived