Cultivated Reef

Moonlight anecdotes.

wetsocks

15 minutes ago, wetsocks said:

Anybody have any events take place within their reef that they attribute to running a scheduled moonlight?

Such as? 

I had I phytobloom that I wanted to attribute to a moonlighting, but I have other variables that could have obviously attributed to it. (Restructuring tank, frags, etc.)

Perhaps by aggregating some anecdotes with regards to a scheduled moonlight (Or daylight hours) we might learn something about the various livestock we cohabitate with. We could combine the minds of a bunch of dumb brains to stumble across something that could be discovered by one smart person. 🙂

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, wetsocks said:

I had I phytobloom that I wanted to attribute to a moonlighting, but I have other variables that could have obviously attributed to it. (Restructuring tank, frags, etc.)

Perhaps by aggregating some anecdotes with regards to a scheduled moonlight (Or daylight hours) we might learn something about the various livestock we cohabitate with. We could combine the minds of a bunch of dumb brains to stumble across something that could be discovered by one smart person. 🙂

Excess nutrients cause a bloom. If you were “disturbing” the tank by restructuring then that is your culprit. 

7 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Excess nutrients cause a bloom. If you were “disturbing” the tank by restructuring then that is your culprit. 

I'm not looking for a culprit.

For the third time, I'm just wondering if someone noticed a bloom of sort of life within their tank (Macro, coral, pyhto etc.) due to a scheduled moonlight.

It's a conversation not a problem.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, wetsocks said:

I'm not looking for a culprit.

For the third time, I'm just wondering if someone noticed a bloom of sort of life within their tank (Macro, coral, pyhto etc.) due to a scheduled moonlight.

It's a conversation not a problem.

so sorry to derail your conversation. 😄

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

@pgrVII I know you do

Anything spooky happen at night? 👻

Nah,I just like being able to watch my tank at night, my corals do tend to stay open at night but,that could be anything I'd imagine. Im sure the light plays a role to some degree but who knows?🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

so sorry to derail your conversation. 😄

VW.....I've been having a headache all morning figuring out what the favia your unicorn turns into. I can't see it, EXPLAIN.

11 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Nah,I just like being able to watch my tank at night, my corals do tend to stay open at night but,that could be anything I'd imagine. Im sure the light plays a role to some degree but who knows?🤷‍♂️

Hmmmmmmm 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

VW.....I've been having a headache all morning figuring out what the favia your unicorn turns into. I can't see it, EXPLAIN.

Hmmmmmmm 

The state of West Virginia sir.😉

• Like 1

Hmmmmmmm 

It turns into West Virginia. 😊

Just now, pgrVII said:

The state of West Virginia sir.😉

You are correct sir! 😄

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
15 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

It turns into West Virginia. 😊

You are correct sir! 😄

Daaaaaaang shows my knowledge but then again those are some weird border lines 😂 must follow a lot of rivers. 

Also you know moonlights.....😂

• Haha 1

Daaaaaaang shows my knowledge but then again those are some weird border lines 😂 must follow a lot of rivers. 

Also you know moonlights.....😂

Ohio River all the way down the west side. Mountains on the east. 

A9E5954B-B27E-4202-9F56-66F7AEE619A1.thumb.jpeg.ce77bb5897f1a3128fda0b8c215a0c85.jpeg

• Like 1

@WV Reefer - Seriously? I thought you just really, really liked unicorns!! 🤦‍♀️

As for moonlights... only thing happening here is that the brighter the moonlights get (full moon),  the more I think, "did I leave a light on downstairs, or is that just my tank...?" 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Just now, kimberbee said:

As for moonlights... only thing happening here is that the brighter the moonlights get (full moon),  the more I think, "did I leave a light on downstairs, or is that just my tank...?" 🤔

It was that night we all discovered we could have moving avatars and I stumbled onto that unicorn/wv morph...  it was just meant to be. 🤷🏻‍♀️😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Some of the spawning events seem to happen just after a full moon, staghorn being one of them I think. Some coral spawn around September October which suggest the pattern of the daylight hours would be of equal importance to reproduction, in addition to moonlight. 

There is the issue of sex, some coral are hermaphroditic which suggest their sex could be influenced by conditions as well.

I was watching a MACNA talk last night by someone that does a lot of research breeding marine fish (cannot remember his name). He was talking about mimicing lunar cycles to trigger spawning in species that are not continuous spawners.

This guy is extra salty
6 minutes ago, Beer said:

I was watching a MACNA talk last night by someone that does a lot of research breeding marine fish (cannot remember his name). He was talking about mimicing lunar cycles to trigger spawning in species that are not continuous spawners.

Coral spawns once or twice a year during the lunar cycle