Cultivated Reef

So... let’s talk long tentacle anemones

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok, so I just don’t understand this little guy. I should have enough sand for him, but he won’t stop moving. He moves all the time. I try to bury his base so he will stay, and he just pushes all the sand to the side and wanders away. I’ve tried to put him in about every sandy part of my tank. I bury him up to his head, his head is the only thing showing. I heard that if you put their base partly under a rock and then cover it with sand, that they would stay, but so far that has not worked. Anyone know what I could try? He still looks really happy and inflated? 

tdannhauser30

let him wander, watch and move whatever frags he touches outta his way lol. once he finds flow and light he likes he will stop... stop moving him around and puttin him where he doesn't like it lol prob just prolonging process

• Like 2
Aquarium Care Center
35 minutes ago, tdannhauser30 said:

let him wander, watch and move whatever frags he touches outta his way lol. once he finds flow and light he likes he will stop... stop moving him around and puttin him where he doesn't like it lol prob just prolonging process

I agree! It also possible that the anemone hasn't found a spot that it likes because of variables like lighting or water flow that could be too intense/not intense enough. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

My lighting is definitely enough, it may be too bright for him tho. I may try turning it down.

14 minutes ago, Aquarium Care Center said:

I agree! It also possible that the anemone hasn't found a spot that it likes because of variables like lighting or water flow that could be too intense/not intense enough. 

The only problem with this is that I tried it, and he just turned over and was upside down for a good 4 hours. 

52 minutes ago, tdannhauser30 said:

57 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

My lighting is definitely enough, it may be too bright for him tho. I may try turning it down.

The only problem with this is that I tried it, and he just turned over and was upside down for a good 4 hours. 

You have pics? If its laying like that and not at all trying to right itself,or isnt really reactionary thats not a good sign. Hows the color? Mouth? Tears in foot?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 hours ago, pgrVII said:

You have pics? If its laying like that and not at all trying to right itself,or isnt really reactionary thats not a good sign. Hows the color? Mouth? Tears in foot?

I’m at school right now, but I will get you a picture when I get home. His color is great, he is a very dark purple, and when I touch him, he curls up into a ball. No tears in the foot that I can see. His mouth was actually really puffy yesterday, but that was bc he was pooping. Two dime sized brown ball came out of his mouth yesterday. I’m pretty sure that’s poop right? He will unbury himself and will just lay on his side tho and won’t even bother to right himself, but he will still look really inflated and good? 

9 hours ago, wetsocks said:

Is it floating yet? lol

He has not started floating yet

2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m at school right now, but I will get you a picture when I get home. His color is great, he is a very dark purple, and when I touch him, he curls up into a ball. No tears in the foot that I can see. His mouth was actually really puffy yesterday, but that was bc he was pooping. Two dime sized brown ball came out of his mouth yesterday. I’m pretty sure that’s poop right? He will unbury himself and will just lay on his side tho and won’t even bother to right himself, but he will still look really inflated and good? 

He has not started floating yet

I dunno dude,you might wanna keep an eye that could be poop,did you feed it? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
17 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

I dunno dude,you might wanna keep an eye that could be poop,did you feed it? 

Yea, I fed it a small bit of mysis, but not much. I just added him to the tank maybe a week ago, and he hasn’t wanted to eat much.

He looks great, just won’t stay still

If you search up purple long tentacle anemones, he looks exactly like the pictures.

1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

He looks exactly like this when he is laying on his side not where I put him

3AF87649-3361-4690-ADA0-18E50CE40B80.png

Thats fine, but we need to see yours and the tank,you ask lots of questions but dont really give us alot to go on visually,pics help with that.  Honestly you dont wanna feed them right away,and you shouldnt be touching and putting your hands in the tank to handle it,it clearly doesnt like where you're putting it so let it figure it out. 

Im not tryin to flame ya dude,but,you seem to kinda add things as soon as you find out about them if the lfs has it in stock it seems. Excitement is cool ,but,it can cost for sure. Both you and the animal unfortunately, I honestly think your tank is going through something and not holding stable params,I know you said your lighting was the issue for the others dying but,more times than not if i had an anemone just kinda aimlessly wandering it was cause the water quality wasnt good. Just my .02 . We can def help ya as you well know,just gotta be willing to take the info,sort it and build towards the tank you want. But its a slow process in this hobby dude!😊 The brown may be zooxanthellae though as you said it hasnt really ate,generally my nems poop same day within a few hours of eating.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
12 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Thats fine, but we need to see yours and the tank,you ask lots of questions but dont really give us alot to go on visually,pics help with that.  Honestly you dont wanna feed them right away,and you shouldnt be touching and putting your hands in the tank to handle it,it clearly doesnt like where you're putting it so let it figure it out. 

Im not tryin to flame ya dude,but,you seem to kinda add things as soon as you find out about them if the lfs has it in stock it seems. Excitement is cool ,but,it can cost for sure. Both you and the animal unfortunately, I honestly think your tank is going through something and not holding stable params,I know you said your lighting was the issue for the others dying but,more times than not if i had an anemone just kinda aimlessly wandering it was cause the water quality wasnt good. Just my .02 . We can def help ya as you well know,just gotta be willing to take the info,sort it and build towards the tank you want. But its a slow process in this hobby dude!😊 The brown may be zooxanthellae though as you said it hasnt really ate,generally my nems poop same day within a few hours of eating.

My params have actually been stable for a while, I don’t have anymore cyano. The only issue I seem to have is algae on my glass, I need to get a scraper. I upgraded my lighting, so lighting is no longer the issue, I have viparspectre lights about 8 inches above the water. My water quality says it’s good, so I don’t think it’s that. Could I possibly need a deeper sand bed? It’s only about 3 to 4 inches deep? I thought that would be enough. I’ve seen zooxanthellae, and the brown that he let out looks nothing like it. It definitely looked like poop. He still has his nice dark colors also. I can’t send pictures, bc I’m not home, but I’ll send pictures later tonight when I get home.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I checked my params to be sure that they are good, and I also went to my LFS to check them, and both times they were perfect. So I really don’t know

I did this last week

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just can’t send a ton of pictures, I’m not home very often, the only time that I can send them is later at night when I get home

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 minutes ago, Friendly said:

putting them up when you can is fine...they will be seen and commented on eventually.

Thx😁

I’ll post some later tonight, but the pictures are always bad, bc of all the algae on the glass. I really need to get a scraper

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 3/8/2019 at 11:03 AM, Friendly said:

go in with a toothbrush, scrub it off and do a water change immediately after to catch what's in the water column.  🙂

Thank you, I didn’t know a toothbrush could work? This stuff is really tough.

mitten_reef

Really? 

Parameters are good - so what are they?

Do you even know what “good” means?

On 3/8/2019 at 11:01 AM, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

all the algae on the glass

You have algae on glass, clean the tank! Buy a glass scraper from LFS, ask them what’s the best tool to clean your tank with. Where’s the common sense in kids these days?

If any of your new post lack substance (photos, specific issues, parameters of your tank) or evidence you’re working on improving the status/conditions of your tank and the inhabitants, I will use the report function to notify moderators that you’re trolling. Just like @OverCookedRock mentioned in another thread of yours, I’m sure he’ll back me up on the trolling part. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Really? 

Parameters are good - so what are they?

Do you even know what “good” means?

You have algae on glass, clean the tank! Buy a glass scraper from LFS, ask them what’s the best tool to clean your tank with. Where’s the common sense in kids these days?

If any of your new post lack substance (photos, specific issues, parameters of your tank) or evidence you’re working on improving the status/conditions of your tank and the inhabitants, I will use the report function to notify moderators that you’re trolling. Just like @OverCookedRock mentioned in another thread of yours, I’m sure he’ll back me up on the trolling part. 

IM NOT TROLLING, dear lord. I’m only 17,  and I don’t have a ton of money. I have 2 jobs, but Im saving to buy a car. And yes I do know what is good with parameters. My ph is between 8.0 and 8.4, my ammonia is zero, my nitrites are zero, and my nitrates are 3.0.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m sorry I’m not as amazing at this as you guys are, I’m trying my hardest with the resources I own. My tank is getting a lot better than it used to. I just like to talk sometimes and I get carried away, I’m sorry about that. I really don’t mean to make everyone upset, I’m sorry. 

• Sad 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

microastreefing was not kidding. I’m just not as experienced as everyone else, and I’m taking everyone’s advice. I greatly appreciate everything you guys say, I don’t have a place to talk about my tank or anything fish tank related. No one in my family approves of my tank and I can’t talk to them about it at all. The person who runs the saltwater tanks at my LFS is a jerk and I can’t talk to him about anything. My girlfriend barely approves of the tank. This is just the only place that I can talk about this stuff, I’m sorry. I want to be a marine biologist, and I’m going to a camp over the summer at a college in North Carolina for it. It cost me 1500$ for this dang camp and I’m still trying to get a car. I’m really low on cash, so I’m sorry for not being able to do everything you guys say. 

• Like 1