SaltCritters.com

So... let’s talk long tentacle anemones

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Thrassian Atoll

Posting stuff in your journal is a good way to

keep track of everything.  Whenever you have a question about something going on in your tank, post it there and edit your title under your initial post with the question you have.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, TILTON said:

Posting stuff in your journal is a good way to

keep track of everything.  Whenever you have a question about something going on in your tank, post it there and edit your title under your initial post with the question you have.

Ok, I’ll do that

Weird that you say no one approves, but your dad brought you corals just the other day...

Anyway...

You have a long and difficult road ahead of you if no one around you is supportive, if your LFS is unreliable, and you're low on funds. Having support, accessible resources, and the funds to get what you need is key to success in this hobby. Strangers on an internet forum will only get you so far. It is your responsibility to care for the livestock in your tank the best you can.

It sounds like you have a passion for the creatures of the sea - maybe you should step back and save what you can to pursue that when you are more able to. Otherwise you're going to be putting your money down the toilet in purchasing sub-par equipment and dead livestock. 

I highly suggest you find an alternative LFS if the one you go to doesn't even carry anything to clean the glass (wut???) and look into a reefing/saltwater group in your area to talk with people geographically close to you. 

The people on this forum are wonderful and helpful, but you are missing critical pieces to this puzzle.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
12 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Weird that you say no one approves, but your dad brought you corals just the other day...

Anyway...

You have a long and difficult road ahead of you if no one around you is supportive, if your LFS is unreliable, and you're low on funds. Having support, accessible resources, and the funds to get what you need is key to success in this hobby. Strangers on an internet forum will only get you so far. It is your responsibility to care for the livestock in your tank the best you can.

It sounds like you have a passion for the creatures of the sea - maybe you should step back and save what you can to pursue that when you are more able to. Otherwise you're going to be putting your money down the toilet in purchasing sub-par equipment and dead livestock. 

I highly suggest you find an alternative LFS if the one you go to doesn't even carry anything to clean the glass (wut???) and look into a reefing/saltwater group in your area to talk with people geographically close to you. 

The people on this forum are wonderful and helpful, but you are missing critical pieces to this puzzle.

My dad bought them for me, he likes my tank. I don’t see him very often, he visits every now and then. He lives an hour away.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Anyway...

There is no group near me. WV for some reason doesn’t have one

• Sad 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I haven’t lost anything in about 2 months, the only thing that I lost was out of my control. Nem got sucked into wavemaker.

• Like 1
mitten_reef

I'm far from disapproving of your situation.  And I appreciate you sharing a bit more of your backstory.  However, everyone has their own set of budget constraints, or some other constraints, like locality.  a quick search on Amazon, a glass scraper/scrubber combo can be had for under $20 - generally, one of the first tools you buy if you want to own a fish tank of any kind. 

What I've been trying to tell you, is do some research and keep a better tank journal.  Post more pictures, acknowledge that you're taking actions based on advices given, less deflecting, less excuse.  You don't post anything of substance = you're not really helping yourself, nor the community to help you.  

I get it, the excitement of having living creatures in your tank is awesome - but not everything needs its own brand-new topics started by you.  There are plenty of well-shared information/topics in NR - you'd be best to learn from some other topics/threads (i.e. that's doing research). Researching means gathering evidences that had been presented before you, then pose a question that may not have been answered before.  Asking mind-dump questions is NOT research.  If a (research) marine biologist is what you want to be, then there's no better place to start than here.       

• Thanks 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

I'm far from disapproving of your situation.  And I appreciate you sharing a bit more of your backstory.  However, everyone has their own set of budget constraints, or some other constraints, like locality.  a quick search on Amazon, a glass scraper/scrubber combo can be had for under $20 - generally, one of the first tools you buy if you want to own a fish tank of any kind. 

What I've been trying to tell you, is do some research and keep a better tank journal.  Post more pictures, acknowledge that you're taking actions based on advices given, less deflecting, less excuse.  You don't post anything of substance = you're not really helping yourself, nor the community to help you.  

I get it, the excitement of having living creatures in your tank is awesome - but not everything needs its own brand-new topics started by you.  There are plenty of well-shared information/topics in NR - you'd be best to learn from some other topics/threads (i.e. that's doing research). Researching means gathering evidences that had been presented before you, then pose a question that may not have been answered before.  Asking mind-dump questions is NOT research.  If a (research) marine biologist is what you want to be, then there's no better place to start than here.       

Ok thank you, I’ll start to do research before posting a topic. I’ll also post more on my tank journal.

• Like 2

Why are you guys so against posting new threads on the forums? Don't you want people being active and posting on the forums? I like to have new things to read here, and hear people's different opinions on things. And as for searching for old threads on a topic, things are constantly changing and improving in this hobby and I would prefer some new insights once and a while instead of looking up 10 year old threads that will give me outdated advice. 

I appreciate the uptick in activity in the forums that Ethan has brought.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Seajardin said:

Why are you guys so against posting new threads on the forums? Don't you want people being active and posting on the forums? I like to have new things to read here, and hear people's different opinions on things. And as for searching for old threads on a topic, things are constantly changing and improving in this hobby and I would prefer some new insights once and a while instead of looking up 10 year old threads that will give me outdated advice. 

This is your first post ever.....are you kidding me?

• Haha 5
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Seajardin said:

Thank you @Seajardin, I really appreciate that, and I also like to read about everyone’s issues and problems.