Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reef clubs in Hawaii?

chaostactics

Thrassian Atoll

I was in Hawaii for 4 years.  I decided not to set up a tank during that time.  You can’t get anything shipped in there.  SPS are banned I beleive.  

liquid_wind

I moved to Maui 6 months ago, never was able to get concrete answers. Some said all corals illegal, some said just illegal to import or ship and there are frag trades, some that zoas/softies were ok to collect. In the end I set up a 20g FOWLR with fake corals and go diving on the weekends. I just today started looking into a macro algae tank potentially, but I think my tanks here on out will be FW planted tanks.

• Like 1
chaostactics
22 hours ago, TILTON said:

I was in Hawaii for 4 years.  I decided not to set up a tank during that time.  You can’t get anything shipped in there.  SPS are banned I beleive.  

I get SPS being banned. In terms of having stuff shipped there, because of laws or because its cost prohibitive?

Thrassian Atoll
6 minutes ago, chaostactics said:

I get SPS being banned. In terms of having stuff shipped there, because of laws or because its cost prohibitive?

I think LPS are banned too, pretty much anything with a hard skeleton.  From what I remember researching it before I got there, it has more to do with the ecosystem.  The laws are in place to protect the reefs from foreign stuff and to keep people from poaching corals from the reefs there.

20 hours ago, chaostactics said:

It's laws....check into collecting your own. I believe there is permits to do so.

chaostactics
On 3/8/2019 at 6:33 PM, Tamberav said:

It's laws....check into collecting your own. I believe there is permits to do so.

Looked at it, looks like you could only potentially catch fish and that's nearly been eliminated

There's one Facebook group that I know of, but as others have said reefkeeping here is very different. No hard corals allowed to be imported/sold, so it's mostly just fish and inverts. Also please note you can't collect your own live rock/sand or coral. Currently you can't take fish with a fine mesh net (aquarium net) due to the moratorium on commercial aquarium fish collecting. But you can collect Hawaiian soft corals (zoas/palys) as long as you don't take the live rock they are on. I believe you can collect your own CUC inverts too.

If you would like LFS recommendations, I would check out Coral Fish in Aiea, they have been there since the 80s and have a large selection of fresh and saltwater fish/inverts. It's also interesting how Hawaiian fish are super cheap (compared to the mainland) but Indo-Pacific fish are more expensive than the mainland. I hope you don't like Atlantic fish because they are $$$.

Later this year I plan on setting up a macro tank. I checked online and there are only restrictions on how much macro you can take for 2 species (for consumption). I will double check in the future but I don't think there are any restrictions for collecting other macros.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Dog beach on Hickam has a lot of zoas/palys randomly throughout the water.  Thought it was pretty neat seeing them in the wild like that.

This guy is extra salty

Ok now I’m curious what if you already previously owned a SPS dominant tank and moved there? Guessing would be jail time? 

13 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Ok now I’m curious what if you already previously owned a SPS dominant tank and moved there? Guessing would be jail time? 

Since you can't exactly drive to Hawaii, you'd have to ship everything and they wouldn't let you ship the coral/live rock etc.

And yes they take the regulations very seriously. Its to prevent potential invasive species, as Hawaii already has too many lol

10 hours ago, chaostactics said:

I have tried contacting the "salt water" fish stores on the islands but no ones getting back to me

Depending what state you're in..keep in mind the time difference. It's currently 7:50pm here. While it's 1:50am in NYC

As I mentioned above, there is a Facebook group if you're interested. Reef Hawaii, you can ask questions there too

• Thanks 1
chaostactics
12 hours ago, yoshii said:

Depending what state you're in..keep in mind the time difference. It's currently 7:50pm here. While it's 1:50am in NYC

As I mentioned above, there is a Facebook group if you're interested. Reef Hawaii, you can ask questions there too

I didnt notice the info on the Facebook group. THANK YOU FOR THE LEAD! Fingers crossed for something hopeful with them. 

12 hours ago, chaostactics said:

I didnt notice the info on the Facebook group. THANK YOU FOR THE LEAD! Fingers crossed for something hopeful with them. 

People ask about laws and stuff all the time, but members respond quickly! 🙂 They also recommend good spots to collect