Top Shelf Aquatics

Tank sizes and anemones

Clown79

I'm fairly new to keeping anemones. My 5.5g has 4 rfa's and I'd love the tank to be an anemone only tank, could a bta be housed in  a 5.5g?

Hey man, many of your "General Discussion" post/questions can easily be already found on the forum itself or Google. 

Not trying to rude but questions/posts like these really just clog up the forum when there is already so much content and advice out there. 

I say this because it's a common occurrence in the forum-world with all hobbies and as forums are meant for info sharing and the overall love of the hobby, lets just try and take a little extra step to do some research before we post questions that have been answered before. Especially if there is a pinned post.... 🙂😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Hey man, many of your "General Discussion" post/questions can easily be already found on the forum itself or Google. 

Not trying to rude but questions/posts like these really just clog up the forum when there is already so much content and advice out there. 

I say this because it's a common occurrence in the forum-world with all hobbies and as forums are meant for info sharing and the overall love of the hobby, lets just try and take a little extra step to do some research before we post questions that have been answered before. Especially if there is a pinned post.... 🙂😉 

Our forum isn’t clogged, and you may notice that Clown is a seasoned nano-reefer with over 13,000 posts... sometimes people just want to have a discussion with their peers, no need to shut someone down like this. If you feel you have to say “not trying to be rude” you are probably being rude. You could have just linked the thread. 

• Like 6

I won't take this as an offense but I rarely post threads and when I do its specific to my tank.

We see thread over thread on cycling, gha removal, cyano removal. Etc.

Most threads are repetitive.

If we all just reverted back to reading other threads on a subject, we wouldn't have any conversations or interactions with each other.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Our forum isn’t clogged, and you may notice that Clown is a seasoned nano-reefer with over 13,000 posts... sometimes people just want to have a discussion with their peers, no need to shut someone down like this. If you feel you have to say “not trying to be rude” you are probably being rude. You could have just linked the thread. 

Thank you. 

I like talking with other hobbyists and getting answers to my specific situation.

I feel if we all who are on here often helping each other and chit chatting about our obvious love for the hobby,  just linked threads on topics, nano reef just wouldn't be as fun and inviting as it is.

• Like 4

I don't think that nems are like fish, where as fish need a specific tank size. Since they're sessile, they only need the space they can expand to. So I'd give them enough room for them to stretch out and be comfortable. 

But since nems like a lot of food and small tanks are nutrient sinks, more volume is typically better for a lot of nems.

I'd try out a bta in your 5.5g, and see how it goes. It will definitely let you know if it isn't happy in there 😄

Keep posting!

• Like 2

My only concern would be it growing and then having to transfer it.Which can be a pain sometimes when they root that foot in a crevice!Bubbletips get really big! But,your knowledge and care seem to be on the up and up,and,theres no hard fast rules, so give it a shot!👍

• Like 3

Thank you.

I'm debating on either doing the anemones in the 5.5g or doing the big job of making my 10g the anemone tank and switching the corald over to the 5g from the 10g

I don't mind the work but it is switching everything. 

20190127_180629.jpg

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Thank you.

I'm debating on either doing the anemones in the 5.5g or doing the big job of making my 10g the anemone tank and switching the corald over to the 5g from the 10g

I don't mind the work but it is switching everything. 

20190127_180629.jpg

Hmmmmm thats a tough one. Im always a fan of more room if possible,but,thats just me. Vs the tradeoff of a swap out is definitely a tough call.🤔

....I'm of no help.😆

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Hmmmmm thats a tough one. Im always a fan of more room if possible,but,thats just me. Vs the tradeoff of a swap out is definitely a tough call.🤔

....I'm of no help.😆

Oh I'm in the same boat.

My 10g is in a room we are rarely in so we want to move it to our living room so it would be prime time to convert the tank. 

• Like 1
Just now, Clown79 said:

Oh I'm in the same boat.

My 10g is in a room we are rarely in so we want to move it to our living room so it would be prime time to convert the tank. 

I say do it. If ya got it figured out do it up. 🤙🤙

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Matteo said:

It's really weird out of all the threads that you choose to say this about, it's this one and with this user  instead of the many cycling or whatever threads...weird. 

To be honest, even with constant research some hobbyists find tips and tricks they wouldn't otherwise post in some places by making threads like these. If people didn't constantly have the same discussion, I doubt nano tanks would be as popular as they are since people discussing their successes repeatedly motivated more people to imitate their smaller setups. This hobby is growing and continuous discussions over newer things is not a bad thing, it promotes people to speak up about different ways of husbandry.

This forum in itself defies a lot of the hard and fast reef rules because we deal with smaller tanks so a lot of the research is more or less other people's opinions. Outside of this forum it's hard to vouch whether a group of people are weirdos or experienced hobbyists since you don't "e-Know" them as being reputable. Being a part of this community, one would know well enough that things do change as people try new things or push the envelope and as those ideas develop, discussions change the common practices or ideas.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mark L. said:

Wow, I don't think I'd have have the b@l$ to dress down @Clown79 as much time as he takes to help people on this forum... but you do you...😶

i learned clown is a SHE... not a HE today... lol.. so i guess u just dressed down clown 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alright let me clear the air.

I don't disagree with any of you regarding the right to post, comment, share ideas and love the hobby.

But, I have been on the forum for awhile and I remember when Clown79 joined. Lots of new questions as always, but new to forum so whatever no big deal.

Years later there's still the same kind of General Discussion post and I just feel once you become "seasoned" as some state... you learn the code of trying not to be "repetitive" I would think... BUT, maybe I'm wrong and just being a tight @$$. 

@Clown79 you mentioned you don't start threads but you have by far the most threads started specifically in the General Discussion than anyone here that's commented. 13,000+ post in under 3 years. Once again way more than anyone here specifically with the basic post in General that we see over and over again. All I did was put two and two together and simply suggested we dig a little bit more because lurking on the forum you do have a lot of repetitive post where you want to discuss ideas and interest which is NO problem whatsoever but there are appropriate channels.

Once again making an observation. If the jury (all you guys) think I'm just being a tight @$$. I rest my case and I apologize if any found offense, truly.

5 hours ago, Coinee said:

It's really weird out of all the threads that you choose to say this about, it's this one and with this user  instead of the many cycling or whatever threads...weird. 

To be honest, even with constant research some hobbyists find tips and tricks they wouldn't otherwise post in some places by making threads like these. If people didn't constantly have the same discussion, I doubt nano tanks would be as popular as they are since people discussing their successes repeatedly motivated more people to imitate their smaller setups. This hobby is growing and continuous discussions over newer things is not a bad thing, it promotes people to speak up about different ways of husbandry.

This forum in itself defies a lot of the hard and fast reef rules because we deal with smaller tanks so a lot of the research is more or less other people's opinions. Outside of this forum it's hard to vouch whether a group of people are weirdos or experienced hobbyists since you don't "e-Know" them as being reputable. Being a part of this community, one would know well enough that things do change as people try new things or push the envelope and as those ideas develop, discussions change the common practices or ideas.  

I've been on this forum for awhile and know many of its daily users. I know how the forum works...

Please see my clear the air comment.

Thank you,

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I won't take this as an offense but I rarely post threads and when I do its specific to my tank.

We see thread over thread on cycling, gha removal, cyano removal. Etc.

Most threads are repetitive.

If we all just reverted back to reading other threads on a subject, we wouldn't have any conversations or interactions with each other.

If it's specific to your tank discuss it in your build perhaps? 

10 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I don't disagree with any of you regarding the right to post, comment, share ideas and love the hobby.

But, I have been on the forum for awhile and I remember when Clown79 joined. Lots of new questions as always, but new to forum so whatever no big deal.

Years later there's still the same kind of General Discussion post and I just feel once you become "seasoned" as some state... you learn the code of trying not to be "repetitive" I would think... BUT, maybe I'm wrong and just being a tight @$$. 

@Clown79 you mentioned you don't start threads but you have by far the most threads started specifically in the General Discussion than anyone here that's commented. 13,000+ post in under 3 years. Once again way more than anyone here specifically with the basic post in General that we see over and over again. All I did was put two and two together and simply suggested we dig a little bit more because lurking on the forum you do have a lot of repetitive post where you want to discuss ideas and interest which is NO problem whatsoever but there are appropriate channels.

Once again making an observation. If the jury (all you guys) think I'm just being a tight @$$. I rest my case and I apologize if any found offense, truly.

I don't think whether someone being new or not should really make a difference. You can be new to different facets of the hobby and want opinions of people who have tried different things. I would think being acquainted with people here would make you more comfortable with asking questions anyway. 

I really don't know why it bothers you at all, who cares if a seasoned person has questions that may be repetitive? You're not a mod nor the forum police and it makes you come across as an ass the way you're acting. It is attitudes like you have demonstrated here that prevent people with experience from asking questions. But I don't know, if I had to guess, it comes across like you have a problem with Clown but that's just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I've been on this forum for awhile and know many of its daily users. I know how the forum works...

Please see my clear the air comment.

Thank you,

If you know how the forums works then you would leave the moderating to the moderators.

• Like 3

Having cared for several bta's and lta's in the last 10 years. Here is my take.

They are easier then people make them out to be. Lots of light, feed once or twice a week.

Your biggest concern will be keeping it away from moving parts. As they are movers and will continue to move till they find a spot (which may not be suitable for you).

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Uh yeah... we already said what we think about your post, our opinions have not changed, at least mine hasn’t. What we are saying is that we want discussions and we respect Clown... I suggest you move on. Reiterating your rudeness does not “clear the air.” Clown is an invaluable resource and mentor on this forum, no need to double down. 

• Like 4
Snow_Phoenix
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I'm fairly new to keeping anemones. My 5.5g has 4 rfa's and I'd love the tank to be an anemone only tank, could a bta be housed in  a 5.5g?

I remember about 2 to 3 years back, quite a few forum folk were adamant that BTAs cannot be housed in something as small as even a 10G. I have a 20G reef and got my first BTA just about 1 to 2 weeks ago. It hasn't done much except stay in one spot so far, and just sitting quietly and looking pretty. I think that depending on how your tank is scaped, and how much empty 'space' there is in a tank, it can actually be housed in a 5.5G. But the only concern with BTAs is that based on what I've read from other threads (not my personal experience) is that they tend to grow fast and can split rather quickly too, so a small tank would be quite soon packed to the brim with BTAs. 

If you're alright with that, then I say, heck, go for it. :ninja:

• Like 2

I have 3 BTAs in my Nuvo 10: I planned for them from the start. Well, I planned for one, ended up with a second one that didn’t like my other tank, and one split, so now I have three. I used two separate rocks to scape it to allow me to relocate corals to the other rock if one of the BTAs gets too big and needs to be rehomed along with its rock. 

So far so good. If you get one and you want it to host a clownfish, I recommend getting them together, or at least getting a clownfish that already shows interest in a BTA. My first clownfish in the tank still won’t go near the nems and it has been over 6 months. 

85310BCD-2BEE-4B2B-B367-416F66C222CF.thumb.jpeg.f67e855f918e06080eab7817e7195907.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
4 minutes ago, Coinee said:

I don't think whether someone being new or not should really make a difference. You can be new to different facets of the hobby and want opinions of people who have tried different things. I would think being acquainted with people here would make you more comfortable with asking questions anyway. 

I really don't know why it bothers you at all, who cares if a seasoned person has questions that may be repetitive? You're not a mod nor the forum police and it makes you come across as an ass the way you're acting. It is attitudes like you have demonstrated here that prevent people with experience from asking questions. But I don't know, if I had to guess, it comes across like you have a problem with Clown but that's just my opinion.

If you know how the forums works then you would leave the moderating to the moderators.

Fair enough and thank you for being civil. 

I just remember the forum used to be a little tighter on it and like I said I know many on here. So I apologize and honestly like I said maybe I'm being a total tight ass.

@Clown79 I do apologize and I didn't mean offense by any of it. I know you are active and give lots of advice and that's a great asset to the community. 

Not trying to start any drama.

@Clown79 once again I apologize and I hope you comment, share, advise, etc. on post as well in the future.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

Fair enough and thank you for being civil. 

I just remember the forum used to be a little tighter on it and like I said I know many on here. So I apologize and honestly like I said maybe I'm being a total tight ass.

@Clown79 I do apologize and I didn't mean offense by any of it. I know you are active and give lots of advice and that's a great asset to the community. 

Not trying to start any drama.

@Clown79 once again I apologize and I hope you comment, share, advise, etc. on post as well in the future.

Hey, no worries.

I didn't take an offense to it.

No arguing here.

I don't claim to be an expert, I have experience, read a lot. Try to be helpful while I continue learning.  

We never stop learning no matter how long we have been in the hobby.

Thank you everyone for all the great advice. 

Alot of research i did indeed lead me to old threads, which meant older methods/beliefs.

Any issues between rfa's and bta's together?

Planning on moving my 10g into living rm. Remove current corals in that tank.

Rfa's from 5.5g will go in the 10g with brains and eventually bta. 

5.5g will be a housing tank and then shut down.

Lots of work to do😁

Hopefully the rfa's don't give me trouble moving them.

3 hours ago, banasophia said:

I have 3 BTAs in my Nuvo 10: I planned for them from the start. Well, I planned for one, ended up with a second one that didn’t like my other tank, and one split, so now I have three. I used two separate rocks to scape it to allow me to relocate corals to the other rock if one of the BTAs gets too big and needs to be rehomed along with its rock. 

So far so good. If you get one and you want it to host a clownfish, I recommend getting them together, or at least getting a clownfish that already shows interest in a BTA. My first clownfish in the tank still won’t go near the nems and it has been over 6 months. 

85310BCD-2BEE-4B2B-B367-416F66C222CF.thumb.jpeg.f67e855f918e06080eab7817e7195907.jpeg

That's gorgeous! 

• Like 3