Cultivated Reef

Duncan coral growth

Noobreefer90

Ok so I bought a 2 head Duncan about two days ago which looked kinda small at the pet store bring it home it only takes about 2 hours for it to fully come out in my tank.  The next evening I soak nls fish pellets in tank water for about 2 hours and break them up some I feed the Duncan and in no time it seemed like the Duncan came out happier than ever and bigger.   Is the nls pallets fine for the Duncan for now till I order reef roids and how often should I feed I know a lot of people are saying if u feed them on the red they will send off heads like crazy 

Also one of the heads looks like maybe a new tentical is growing in if possible or maybe one of my crabs snipped one off. Is it possible for new tentical to grow on a head or if it got snipped will it grow back 

I feed mine once or twice a week, but with mysid shrimp and other small meaty items.  I think it will eat anything though and does grow new heads rather quickly when being fed.  I guess ultimately how much you feed it depends on how fast you want it to grow.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Noobreefer90 said:

Also one of the heads looks like maybe a new tentical is growing in if possible or maybe one of my crabs snipped one off. Is it possible for new tentical to grow on a head or if it got snipped will it grow back 

I’ve had my Duncan’s for a while, my LFS saved the original two heads from a dying colony they had. 

Ive has luck feeding them frozen uncooked shrimp you would find at your grocery store. Pretty cheap for what you get.You have to watch your fish though they will try to get it out of the Duncan’s mouth. But now I have around 8-10 heads for the while I’ve had them. Great coral. 

Ive never experienced a crab snipping a Duncan before. Make you you have reef safe crabs like the blue legged one. I know one of the red legs aren’t reef safe.

I have a few red legged but they was in same tank as the blue what I think I was seeing was one of the tentical sucked in its came out some now.  

But like I said mine has doubled in size in just three days. One of my top corals so far love the way the tenticals flow. 

How would I feed raw shrimp just cut a small peace off and thaw it in tank water 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Noobreefer90 said:

I have a few red legged but they was in same tank as the blue what I think I was seeing was one of the tentical sucked in its came out some now.  

But like I said mine has doubled in size in just three days. One of my top corals so far love the way the tenticals flow. 

How would I feed raw shrimp just cut a small peace off and thaw it in tank water 

Yes that growth you saw in three days was it opening fully. With the shrimp get the small size uncooked frozen. I think I paid 8 bucks for 100. You slice it into small pieces depending on the size of the Duncan. They take a minute to eat it.

Yes, thaw it in tank water not water from the sink. Make sure the shrimp isn’t cold at all and has thawed completely.

i feed around once a week but slaked here lately. Depending on the size of your tank be careful not to over feed the tank causing algae bloom or unwanted parameters.

10 minutes ago, Noobreefer90 said:

I need to move mine I just added another power head for my sps. They are getting too much flow and not fully opening.

My local fish store has a torch coral in the store are very small single heads and are barely sticking out looks like a deep purple almost black torch. I’m just really wondering if it’s a long torch or short 

I asked she he said he thought long just didn’t know and they just haven’t came out yet.  I had bought a torch from them about a month ago and moved it around the tank thinking it just wasn’t happy and ended up just being short tentical 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Noobreefer90 said:

My local fish store has a torch coral in the store are very small single heads and are barely sticking out looks like a deep purple almost black torch. I’m just really wondering if it’s a long torch or short 

I asked she he said he thought long just didn’t know and they just haven’t came out yet.  I had bought a torch from them about a month ago and moved it around the tank thinking it just wasn’t happy and ended up just being short tentical 

Look up grape coral. I’ve confused them before they are still very pretty. Either way it’s a Euphyllia coral.

Ima ask you opinion on something ok do I started my first reef tank about month and a half or so ago. I got fish way to early which was two clownfish and they seemed happy ate etc but they got ich and lived maybe two weeks or more then died. I then added a blenny to clean up algae I had taking over. But then I got a new tank. I took everything from my old tank and added it to my new tank and more. I did notice a few little sports popping up on my blenny idk if it was ich or what it is. Should I do the 60-80 day no fish cycle or could I do a good water change and try a fish out to see how it goes 

11 minutes ago, Noobreefer90 said:

Ima ask you opinion on something ok do I started my first reef tank about month and a half or so ago. I got fish way to early which was two clownfish and they seemed happy ate etc but they got ich and lived maybe two weeks or more then died. I then added a blenny to clean up algae I had taking over. But then I got a new tank. I took everything from my old tank and added it to my new tank and more. I did notice a few little sports popping up on my blenny idk if it was ich or what it is. Should I do the 60-80 day no fish cycle or could I do a good water change and try a fish out to see how it goes 

I don't like ich in my tanks so I do the fishless thing. It is a personal choice.  You can see how it goes but keep in mind your fish will have ich, they can live with it or sometimes die from it. 

My clowns would get white spots as of the night but when they got moving they would go away the one morning I wake up to one of my clowns stuck in a rock lodged so I’m thinking it died from getting stuck in the rocks then the other lasted maybe 4 days and it died from ich idk if it stressed because it was alone 

22 minutes ago, Noobreefer90 said:

My clowns would get white spots as of the night but when they got moving they would go away the one morning I wake up to one of my clowns stuck in a rock lodged so I’m thinking it died from getting stuck in the rocks then the other lasted maybe 4 days and it died from ich idk if it stressed because it was alone 

Fish do not get stuck in rocks and die. Your clown simply got ill and was in the rocks to get out of the flow from the powerhead/filter as he probably could not breath well at that point. Fish also do not die from being alone, clowns can live happily alone. 

Your fish died from ich 😞 It attacks the gills where it can not be seen and they can not breath and suffocate. 

Any new fish may meet the same fate at some point. Just depends if you want to risk your fish dying when you add a new one.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Noobreefer90 said:

Never had an issue with ich. So I’m not the right person to tell you. But it’s either blennis or gobys need an established tank with copepods and other smaller organisms to eat. 

I’m also wanting to go fishless because I had to get rid of two damsels that we’re eating my sps. 

All that’s left is my lonely clown

also I heard it takes 80 days without fish for the ich parasite to die off. Don’t know how true it is but it seems logical.

quarentine fish before putting in your display tank.

2 hours ago, Noobreefer90 said:

Also, what are your parameters. Get to the bottom of that algae problem. 

I would go fish less for the required fallow period to make sure you don't have ich anymore.  

Make sure once you do get new fish it's from a reputable store or online vendor.  

A quarantine tank can be a simple/cheap 10 gallon from wal mart with heater, power filter etc.  

• Like 1

I think most people do it from 4 to 8 weeks.  It gives you a good chance to observe new fish, make sure they are eating and don't have any diseases prior to transferring to the dt.

In your case, I would definitely wait the 78 day or so fallow period to make sure the ich in your main tank dies off.  If you happen to come across a fish you must have, put it in the qt until your main system is ready.

2 hours ago, Noobreefer90 said:

how long do you have to quarantine a new fish 

I agree with @DreC80 on that one. Get a tank big enough to keep the wanted fish. Qt for 4-8 weeks. No fish in main display tank for 80 days to make sure the ick dies out. 

Well, you could chance it, but your new fish is guaranteed to get ich because it's already in your tank.  Not guaranteed to die as some fish are more resilient...but if you do get a fish now and put it in the dt the ich will remain and may rear its ugly head down the road when you add other fish.

The other option is keep the dt fish free for 80 days...and eradicate the ich for good and quarantine future fish before going into the dt.

This hobby is very humbling when it comes to rushing things.  Most folks will tell you how rushing a cycle, fish stocking, etc has caused them some type of issue.