Cultivated Reef

White Spot, Velvet or Other

Heydude

Hi guys, 

Over the last couple days I noticed my Blue Damsel was actual not his usual self and  saw a few white marks on him,  so started my white spot treatment, got home yesterday and he had already succumbed and now my tomato clown is covered. 

Is this White Spot, Velvet or something else and what's best to treat. 

He is the only fish in the tank now along with 3 coral (Kenya Tree, Pulsing Xenia and Trachyphyllia), 3 small Red Legged Crabs and several various snail species. 

Aquaone Nanoreef  35, parameters as tested last night. 

SG - 1.025

Temp - 25.5

Phos - 0

Ammonia - >0.25

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 5>10

KH - 11

These levels have been constant for a long as I can remember and no signs of stress that I've seen, the fish got along together other than squabbling at feed time. 

Only changed in last 3 weeks have been —

Oct 31st Trachy added. 

Nov 7th 2 x Banded and 3 x White Trochus added. 

Fingers crossed the little fella is still with us when I get home. 

Thanks in advance, any help greatly appreciated. 

Tony. 

20181112_190111.jpg

I’m thinking Velvet because of how quickly it covered the clown, but it could be Brooklynella. Thats a heavy infestation and u need to act NOW for any chance of recovery. The tomonts may have hitchhiked on the snail shells. QT is the only remedy with  copper or Metroplex (no carbon in the QT), and go fallow in the DT for 8 weeks. A FW (RO/DI) dip for 5-10 minutes may help before QT, but it’s a crapshoot with an infection that bad. Good luck. 

Hi, 

Thanks for you reply and advice. 

Unfortunately I do not not have a QT, do you know of any in tank remedies I could at least try? 

I do have a 25 litre drum with my premixed water in, I suppose I could use that as a QT, only issue would be that there no filtration but could do regular and frequent water changes. 

How would I then treat the tank to rid it off the parasite? 

Thanks again. 

Tony. 

If it's brook and you don't have a QT, you can try one of these options:

1. 5 minute freshwater dip
  2. 45 minute formalin bath
  3. 90 minute Ruby Reef Rally bath

Any of those 3 might eliminate all of the parasites on the fish. However, it is probable (but not 100% certain) that he will just get reinfected once placed back in the DT. It all comes down to whether there are free floating parasites in the water and/or other fish are carrying parasites.

Without the tank going fallow for 8 weeks, treatment really won't help because the tank will still have the parasite in it, reinfecting the fish.

A bucket can be used for qt. You don't need a tank.

A bucket, heater, hob filter will work for emergency hospital tank.

• Like 1

Hi, 

So take fish out and use my bucket as QT and treat accordingly?

I have a HOB skimmer which I can no doubt use as a filter with some floss media. 

Then what, leave the tank alone for 8 weeks? 

Thanks, 

Tony. 

15 minutes ago, Heydude said:

Hi, 

I have a HOB skimmer which I can no doubt use as a filter with some floss media. 

Thanks, 

Tony. 

Set up a bucket the same way you would set up a hospital tank.

If you use copper then anything used for the hospital tank cannot be used for your dt.

Your tank needs to go fishless for 8 weeks.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Heydude said:

That might work, but I would dose some bacteria (e.g. Biospira) to help control ammonia. What sort of floss media do you have? An air driven sponge filter would be ideal for a bucket QT.

Thanks for all the advice guys. 

Good news, wife had just text and he's still with us so I'm with a fighting chance. 

This is the skimmer I have and can use, floss I have is in a sheet / roll form that I cut to size, my idea would be to cut pieces and for in to the skimmer. 

20181113_162409.jpg

@Heydude That will work, although I would disable the skimmer part while dosing medications. To ensure they aren't "skimmed out". 😊

I would FW dip him en route to QT (temp relief of brook & also check for flukes), and treat with copper for 30 days and add Metroplex for the first 10-14 days (with copper). Copper treats ich + velvet; metro treats brook + uronema. So, you should be covered for all parasitic infestations.

• Like 2

Hi guys, 

Seen as I didn't have a proper QT I decided to treat the tank with NT Labs anti-bacterial, 7 days in and Tommy sends to have come through it, still one or two white marks but on the whole he's 100 times better, sure you'll all agree. 

Thanks again for all the different advice given, although not used on this occasion it has certainly given me good for thought and seeing up a QT is now too of the agenda, contemplating upgrading and using current set up as QT, just a bit of convincing to do. 

Tony. 

20181118_092126.jpg

Did you treat in tank? If the tank doesn't go fallow, any parasite is still alive in the tank and can/will re-nfect the fish and any new additions.

Brook, velvet, and ich need the tank to go fallow(fishless) for 8 weeks to kill the parasite.

• Like 2

Yes only treat in the tank as an emergency measure, as setting up a temp QT without all the proper gear seemed counter productive at the time, as the maintenance and keeping on top of it for 8 weeks with no proper filtration etc with Xmas holidays coming up and being away for a couple of night. 

Looking again last night I saw another nano tank for sale with built in filtration etc so made an offer on that to use as QT, can then do as you say and allow tank to go fallow.

Thanks again for your advice. 

• Like 1