ReefCleaners.org

Biocube 16 LEDs faulty or am I not doing this right?

Nina.Wes

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and to nano reefs in general but I've set up saltwater tanks before and currently run a 100g lps/softie reef.

I'm cycling a Coralife Biocube LED 16 and I recently decided to have a look at the lights and how they're setup. According to the manual, channel one is daylights, channel two is "color enhancing" or sunrise/sunset and channel three is moonrise/moonset. It seems to me like the daylight LEDs may be faulty because surely they should be stronger than they actually are. The sunrise/sunset LEDs at full power are way stronger than the daylights which are quite dim. I've added some photos of the lights when you turn them ALL on at full power and also when you turn on LC1, LC2 and LC3. The first photo is all LEDs on, the second photo is LC1(daylights), third photo is LC2(color enhancing) and final photo is LC3(moonlights). I'd appreciate any advice or information regarding this matter. Are the daylights really that dim, or is something wrong with my LEDs? Thanks alot in advance to any who answer. 

20181002_210420.jpg

20181002_210458.jpg

20181002_210507.jpg

20181002_210515.jpg

That doesn't look right to me.  Here is what all channels on should look like: 

y4mgSLakzyjn15PQe0qPeSPiFRqJ88j07NgA1V5m

You can see that all of the leds are lit up.  When they are all on it is very bright.  I would call Coralife's customer service.   They are very helpful and sent me a new hood within a few days when I had an issue with the internal battery. 

Well, not sure if this helps, but here are mine, and I thought they looked like they could be the same, though it’s a little hard for me to tell from your second pic, which I think is LC1. (With the way mine are programmed, when my daylights are on, the other two channels are also on at the same time, but in the pics it’s only showing the individual channels on their own.)

LC1:

E3065D78-412F-4E4C-9AA6-5144C9CC4E3B.thumb.jpeg.e7cfb1539ed55e229fd0a45836f5b4b5.jpeg

LC2:

07D6E002-644D-4850-BCA9-9E0294AB615D.thumb.jpeg.6f043b0977dba821e885b9696f696a6a.jpeg

LC3:

49D4D66B-22F2-49F8-92B2-45A787A52B18.thumb.jpeg.07834a9eb9581243a30d200300772416.jpeg

Banasophia, my first picture is all the LEDs on and the second picture, which is much dimmer, is LC1 (daylights). Nothing like your LC1 picture I'm afraid. I sent an email to Coralife. I originally bought this Biocube on Amazon but when I spoke to them they suggested returning the entire thing but I've already started cycling, I'm one week in with biospira and things are looking great (besides the LEDs) so obviously, I can't return it. I hope Coralife can send me a replacement canopy. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Nina.Wes said:

Banasophia, my first picture is all the LEDs on and the second picture, which is much dimmer, is LC1 (daylights). Nothing like your LC1 picture I'm afraid. I sent an email to Coralife. I originally bought this Biocube on Amazon but when I spoke to them they suggested returning the entire thing but I've already started cycling, I'm one week in with biospira and things are looking great (besides the LEDs) so obviously, I can't return it. I hope Coralife can send me a replacement canopy. 

It definitely looks like LC1 is the problem.  They are on but look very dim like they aren't getting enough power.  Even the 1st picture with all the lights on looks like they may be shining but are so dim that the other lights are washing them out. 

This is the main lighting channel and if it's not working correctly the overall brightness will be diminished significantly. 

58 minutes ago, Jackal227 said:

It definitely looks like LC1 is the problem.  They are on but look very dim like they aren't getting enough power.  Even the 1st picture with all the lights on looks like they may be shining but are so dim that the other lights are washing them out. 

This is the main lighting channel and if it's not working correctly the overall brightness will be diminished significantly. 

Yeah, LC1 turns on but it's a very dim glow. Once I connect the power cable and turn on the 'Power' button, LC1 turns on and stays on dimly like in the second photo in perpetual glow. In fact if I program a schedule (for example, LC1 on from 10am-6pm) LC1 just stays like that. I've tried resetting but the problem remains. Nothing to do now except wait for a reply from Coralife. 

So, I couldn't solve anything with Amazon and Coralife hasn't responded my email. I will take some time to call this afternoon (or most likely Monday) to see how they respond. In the meantime I was looking into LEDs I could use to supplement my broken biocube LED canopy. I have read a few good posts about the 21ledusa brand and was looking at either of these as an additional light source:

https://www.21ledusa.com/aquarium_led_reefbar_pro_actinic_blue_p/rbp505010.htm

https://www.21ledusa.com/aquarium_led_reefbar_pro_10in_Blue_Heavy_p/rbpbh10.htm

Any opinions on these as supplemental lighting would be great. I like that they're cheap. I was looking at the Current USA Orbit Marine (because Ive had two of these on my 100g for four years now and I'm happy with them) but unfortunately their smallest fixture is 18 inches. If anyone has anything to say about the 18 inch Current USA Orbit Marine, I'd like to hear that also or any opinions on LEDs to supplement my tank in general. I will have some softies and lps in this tank, no real plans for sps at all. 

Also what I like about the 21ledusa fixtures is that it seems they'd fit under my tank hood, which I'd like to keep in place. 

Edited by Nina.Wes

I would definitely try Coralife again.  The lights are under warranty and they should take care of you.  

Those leds that you found are interesting especially if they fit inside the hood.  It would appear that they put out enough par for corals.  It doesn't list much information on the built in timers though. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Jackal227 said:

I would definitely try Coralife again.  The lights are under warranty and they should take care of you.  

Those leds that you found are interesting especially if they fit inside the hood.  It would appear that they put out enough par for corals.  It doesn't list much information on the built in timers though. 

Thank you Jackal, I'll definitely put in some time to call Coralife on Monday if I can't before 6pm today. I'll continue to look for more info on the reefbar pro from 21ledusa and see what else I find about them. Thanks for staying in tune with my thread 😊 I'll update when I have an answer from Coralife and find out more about the supplemental LEDs. 

So I've been able to talk to Coralife and customer service took down my info. They'll be sending me a new canopy to replace mine! And I'll be mailing mine in when I receive the new one. I'm still not gonna get too excited until I finally have the new canopy and install it on the biocube but it's definitely a step in the right direction and I'm quite relieved. Thanks @Jackal227 for insisting I contact them. You were right, they totally took care of me and their customer service was excellent. I'll post when I receive the canopy and add pictures of the different light channels for a comparison of the current ones. 

Edited by Nina.Wes
quoted a previous post by mistake, oops

So I've been able to talk to Coralife and customer service took down my info. They'll be sending me a new canopy to replace mine! And I'll be mailing mine in when I receive the new one. I'm still not gonna get too excited until I finally have the new canopy and install it on the biocube but it's definitely a step in the right direction and I'm quite relieved. Thanks @Jackal227 for insisting I contact them. You were right, they totally took care of me and their customer service was excellent. I'll post when I receive the canopy and add pictures of the different light channels for a comparison of the current ones. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am SO happy 😁😭🎉 the new coralife Biocube 16 LED canopy arrived and the difference is night and day. I never loved diatom algae blooms like I'm loving mine right now just because I can actually see it with these LEDs. It works ❤️ 

The first picture is before I changed the canopy with all the LEDs on at their brightest. The second picture is after I changed the canopy  with all the LEDs on at full brightness and the third picture are the canopy LEDs themselves all on. Very different from my first post photos. This one is looking just like yours 

@Jackal227

@banasophia

Woo! 😃

20181017_170431.jpg

20181017_171748.jpg

20181017_171730.jpg

• Like 2

I upgraded to Steve's LED array so I have my original Biocube 16 LED array sitting in a box. If another Biocube 16 friend searching for answers like this and doesn't have any luck getting a replacement PM me and we'll see about shipping mine out as an alternative.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

I upgraded to Steve's LED array so I have my original Biocube 16 LED array sitting in a box. If another Biocube 16 friend searching for answers like this and doesn't have any luck getting a replacement PM me and we'll see about shipping mine out as an alternative.

That’s a really nice offer, @Cpl_Wiggles! Thanks for posting. 🙂  

On 10/18/2018 at 2:16 PM, Cpl_Wiggles said:

How do you feel about the Steve’s??

• 3 years later...
Elizabeth Edie
On 10/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, Wyatt45 said:

Just ordered mine from Steve. Anyone have any input that already have them? Thanks Liz

On 10/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, Wyatt45 said: