Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cycling question

saxplayer

Hmm.. 48 hrs after 56 drops of Tim's ammonia in my 16g (shooting for 12-13g water volume after sand and rock) I have:

Ammonia:  zero

Nitrites:  0.5-1

Nitrates: 20-50

I guess it looks like my tank is not quite cycled.  I am leaving the lights on approx 6-8 hrs.  Should I run them longer?  I have done zero water changes. 

Any advice?  Guessing just waiting more 🙂

Thanks!

This is the best time to grow the most critical thing for your tank—patience lol.  

Those who quit typically just don’t have the mind to wait.  Sort that out now and your tank will eventually cycle, mature, and flourish.  In reality, once any obstacle is cleared another one is just waiting around the corner to pop up, just like life. 🙂

Rushing leads to flushing—trust me. Take this time to plan, research, and enjoy the tank. Look forward to seeing your build!

6 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

This is the best time to grow the most critical thing for your tank—patience lol.  

Those who quit typically just don’t have the mind to wait.  Sort that out now and your tank will eventually cycle, mature, and flourish.  In reality, once any obstacle is cleared another one is just waiting around the corner to pop up, just like life. 🙂

Rushing leads to flushing—trust me. Take this time to plan, research, and enjoy the tank. Look forward to seeing your build!

I appreciate the truth-ism lol. Really I’m asking why 2 days prior I had zero ammonia and nitrites and now, since I don’t after dosing Tim’s - it seems it wasn’t ready right?  Why would it be zero on both esp with nitrite if it isn’t clearing ammonia in 24 hr?  Trying to learn here not be instructed in patience. I already hinted I assumed it meant I needed to wait more as does my entire thread. 

Again, thanks for the sayings but I’d really like to learn why versus just “wait young grass hopper”. I know to wait and expect that. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Try adding beneficial bacteria like AquaForest Bio S or Aquavitro Seed to help build up bacteria. Much better if you wait it out until your nitrate is 0 it will go down just wait it out while ghost feeding every other day when your ammonia and nitrite zero out. Better add CUC later when you know what your tank needs eventually diatoms will go away.

2 minutes ago, PocaReef said:

Much better if you wait it out until your nitrate is 0 it will go down 

Fake news. Nitrate will not go away on it's own.  Sure there are ways to have this happen with say a deep sand bed setup .

Anyway I have cycled a good amount of tanks all with live rock mind you and never had nh3 issues. I am currently cycling a tank with dry rock, live sand , bio sprira  and dr Tim's nh3. I am 4 weeks in and my tank still won't cycle 2ppm in 24 hours. I believe my tank will have a enough bio filter to handle a small fish so I am going for it this weekend .. I will let you know how it goes 😎 .. 

How long have you been cycling and did you add bacteria in a bottle or use live sand etc?

• Like 1
Just now, Weikel said:

Fake news. Nitrate will not go away on it's own.  Sure there are ways to have this happen with say a deep sand bed setup .

Anyway I have cycled a good amount of tanks all with live rock mind you and never had nh3 issues. I am currently cycling a tank with dry rock, live sand , bio sprira  and dr Tim's nh3. I am 4 weeks in and my tank still won't cycle 2ppm in 24 hours. I believe my tank will have a enough bio filter to handle a small fish so I am going for it this weekend .. I will let you know how it goes 😎 .. 

How long have you been cycling and did you add bacteria in a bottle or use live sand etc?

I agree - nitrAtes will need to be removed with water changes.

I have been cycling the 16g biocube with live sand and rock (cured) from LFS since the 8th.  As page 1 says, I had zero ammonia and nitrites 2.5 days ago so I thought maybe it was close.  I dosed Tim's ammonia for up to 2ppm ammonia by testing, and in 48 hours I had zero ammonia, 0.5-1 nitrites and 20-50 nitrAtes (where they were previously).  

I know I'll need to do a water change to remove nitrAtes once cycling is done.  

@saxplayer ah good that’s an easier thing to figure out then lol. 

Like stated above, need more beneficial bacteria to build up, it’s still balancing out. It’s  not till you can consistently add ammonia and it zeroes out in 24 hrs without detecting nitrites that you are ready so it’s just a bit more waiting. 

Actually, nitrates can bottom out but you’d have to wait a very long time.  That’s how we figure out how mature our tanks are and how good our method of filtrants can be for our system. I have 7 fish in a 28g, feed heavily everyday, and do liquid broadcasts at night—no detectable nitrates and I only do 10% water changes every week (now every other week). 

13 minutes ago, Aurortpa said:

@saxplayer

Actually, nitrates can bottom out but you’d have to wait a very long time.  That’s how we figure out how mature our tanks are and how good our method of filtrants can be for our system. I have 7 fish in a 28g, feed heavily everyday, and do liquid broadcasts at night—no detectable nitrates and I only do 10% water changes every week (now every other week). 

You're right about the nitrAtes.  I just know my tank won't be clearing them now, so I am assuming a water change is the only way after I cycle.  Until my cycle is complete - no water change though, right?

Sometimes cycling isn't perfect. You won't always see nitrites right after ammonia has processed.

Let the cycle occur, every tanks different so length of time is different from 1 to another.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Aurortpa said:

It’s  not till you can consistently add ammonia and it zeroes out in 24 hrs without detecting nitrites that you are ready so it’s just a bit more waiting. 

Out of curiosity is this something you have actually done or are you just echoing the instructions? I ask bc I have done the same thing but now that I am actually tring this dosing nh3 method and am finding it hard to achieve.  I also find it funny that the instructions for dr tims cycling with their nh3 drops says to do it similar to the way you describe,  when I have seen a video with dr Tim himself saying if you add his bottled bacteria you can add fish right away. Very contradicting..

So I guess has anyone actually dosed 2ppm nh3 and seen it in less than 24 hours reduced to zero along with their nitrites? And If so how long did it take ?? 

@Weikel I usually cycle with fresh liverock now but have used ammonia in my older tanks—not specifically dr tim’s so I can’t quote verbatim his instructions. I’m sure he is very experienced tho!

A looong time ago I was advised, like a decade ago haha, and this is what has worked for me—was ensuring the tank can process at the very least 2ppm ammonia 3 consecutive days in a row—testing at the same 24 hr intervals. If nitrites were present, I waited as it only indicated some beneficial bacteria still needed to grow.

I figured if I’m having issues with nitrites now, rarely present in a well cycled tank—adding livestock would only aggravate the issue.

20 minutes ago, Aurortpa said:

@Weikel I usually cycle with fresh liverock now but have used ammonia in my older tanks—not specifically dr tim’s so I can’t quote verbatim his instructions. I’m sure he is very experienced tho!

A looong time ago I was advised, like a decade ago haha, and this is what has worked for me—was ensuring the tank can process at the very least 2ppm ammonia 3 consecutive days in a row—testing at the same 24 hr intervals. If nitrites were present, I waited as it only indicated some beneficial bacteria still needed to grow.

I figured if I’m having issues with nitrites now, rarely present in a well cycled tank—adding livestock would only aggravate the issue.

Yea I have always used live rock too so this ammonia dosing is new to me. I really dont see my tank ever completely cycling 2 ppm in 24 hours maybe the ammonia but not all the nitrates.. back in the day we cycled with live rock and sand and damsels.  Never saw ammonia or nitrites back then .. I am thinking since my nh3 processes in a couple days I will be good to add my small clown.. I can almost guarantee I won't see ammonia but I always have a bottle of prime handy😎

20 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Yea I have always used live rock too so this ammonia dosing is new to me. I really dont see my tank ever completely cycling 2 ppm in 24 hours maybe the ammonia but not all the nitrates.. back in the day we cycled with live rock and sand and damsels.  Never saw ammonia or nitrites back then .. I am thinking since my nh3 processes in a couple days I will be good to add my small clown.. I can almost guarantee I won't see ammonia but I always have a bottle of prime handy😎

Gosh that raises a good question, how much does your avg clownfish make in potential ammonia lol.  I know 1 ppm ammonia processes to 2.7 ppm nitrite and eventually 3.6 ppm nitrate—if that small bit will somehow help guide you.  

Perhaps you can try a new thread, there are many experienced reef keeprs here that may give you some other insights.  Hope all works out tho!

7 hours ago, Weikel said:

Really? How's that? Do you even cycle bruh.

2 hours ago, PocaReef said:

Really? How's that? Do you even cycle bruh.

No never done it before 😏 here ya go bruh.. just didn't want to confuse the op... read up on cycling and you will learn a little more... didn't want to piss ya off just figured you would like the facts.. Happy reefing!!

Screenshot_20180920-171425_Chrome.jpg