ReefCleaners.org

Alright! after careful planning and research it now time to build my own 10 gallons AIO. This tank will be my testing ground to grow corals as I have been so hesitant to have corals previously within the 5 tanks that I have own which are now have been taken down. this tank will mainly house mostly Soft Corals and LPS and a few easy SPS.

Custom Tank 16 x 12 x 12

Here is the rockscape that I made for the tank.

IMG_0386.thumb.JPG.ff6fca876bce16d2800156c993019228.JPG

I bought the rocks from The Aqua Culture, the most decent Reefing Store here in the Philippines!.

I used Aquaforest StoneFix to bond the rocks together. It's like a cement though it dries quickly so you have to work on it fast, one more good thing about this product is that it doesn't contain harmful chemicals and doesn't leech out which means no need to cure!.

IMG_0364.thumb.JPG.126ef93cd8c43702e8e90ca40564c619.JPG

IMG_0363.thumb.JPG.330be8e5420836e5e9948aa91fefd3aa.JPG

One of the downsides I have seen on AIO tanks is that you can't see the sides of the back sump, So I asked the tank maker to make cut outs of the black sticker that will wrap the back sump so that the medias will be visible and to make it more easier to clean. One thing I have learn from my previous tanks is that 1. Plan everything ahead even future upgrades and 2. Make everything easier for you as Mike Paletta said "the easier it is for you to do, the more you will do it".

IMG_0373.thumb.JPG.d864c56a1144012b519021963f23cac6.JPG

Rio 600 for the return pump. I prefer a slightly powerful pump so that I won't be needing a wave maker which is an eyesore for a small thank like this.

IMG_0376.thumb.JPG.708c4fba4704bee05a28c3ba8c5fe73b.JPG

More to come! any recommendation for stocking list?

:welcome:to NanoReef!

That's a really captivating rockscape and your concept to have the the back chambers exposed from the sides is very interesting.  I'm definitely going to be watching this develop.  

You certainly know how to take fabulous pictures.  

I also agree with you in that having a stronger pump,  and nothing in display. Once upon a time,  a long time ago.  I had a 5.5g aio. I too ran a absurdly large pump,  and it worked out fabulously.

Im looking forward to seeing this progress. What lighting will you be using?

On 8/17/2018 at 6:08 AM, TatorTaco said:

:welcome:to NanoReef!

That's a really captivating rockscape and your concept to have the the back chambers exposed from the sides is very interesting.  I'm definitely going to be watching this develop.  

Thank You sir! I swear exposing the back chamber helps a lot when siphoning detritus! 😀.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:10 AM, JBM said:

You certainly know how to take fabulous pictures.  

I also agree with you in that having a stronger pump,  and nothing in display. Once upon a time,  a long time ago.  I had a 5.5g aio. I too ran a absurdly large pump,  and it worked out fabulously.

Im looking forward to seeing this progress. What lighting will you be using?

I'm humbled by your comments sir! 😁  I'm using a generic Aqua Night A029 though haven't seen a solid review from if it works, I hope it will! 

Update as of Aug 22, 2018

Cycled the tank with Aquaforest Pro Bio Salt and seeded it with Aquaforest Bio S (1 Drop per day). 

IMG_0402.thumb.JPG.b906bf25ab1330148179fc31d9ebb637.JPG

The next day I added Caribsea Indo-Pacific Black Live Sand, sand grain is big enough to handle the flow. What do you think Guys?

IMG_0454.thumb.JPG.d92caa8bceab2784385a07afd3525520.JPG

IMG_0452.thumb.JPG.f71d5a4a549bc214e6a93d16336fb495.JPG

At the Back Chamber I also added a Maxpect Nano-Tech Bio-Block to help house the bacteria I was dosing and to help in biological filtration as well since I only have  ample amount of rock.

IMG_0442.thumb.JPG.9dfe45565de80ab84b4e21b242e4f133.JPG 

Can't wait to finish it's cycle!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Very interesting scape you built for this tank. Very different yet I really like it at the same time. It would look really good wither Zoa's matted all across it or Monti's encrusted all over it. I'm also interested to see how the light does for you as well. 

If and when I get back into the hobby,I'd use that light more than likely. 

As for stocking,I would consider a Possum Wrasse as long as your pod population is sturdy once its cycled small Gobies (Sharknose or Neon's) probably do a trio or 2 pairs which would be cool with all the area's for them to perch on. Any Clown Goby also a perching fish. I would say a premium Clown morph but this tank is different and needs something special. 

Coral wise I say: Acan's,Zoa's & Paly's,Monti's,Birdsnest's up high on the rocks,Mushrooms.