Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fish Sitter - Going Rate?

banasophia

47 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I was wondering, how many days fish can go without food? 

IDK, it depends on the fish.  You'll notice that it's recommended to feed some fish three times a day.  These fish obviously can't go as long without food.

I know some people don't even feed every day.  For some fish, I bet they could last a week without food (not that I'd recommend that).  So I'm just going to say a couple of days.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
16 minutes ago, seabass said:

IDK, it depends on the fish.  You'll notice that it's recommended to feed some fish three times a day.  These fish obviously can't go as long without food.

I know some people don't even feed every day.  For some fish, I bet they could last a week without food (not that I'd recommend that).  So I'm just going to say a couple of days.

Thanks. I am leaving tomorrow afternoon and will be back Tuesday afternoon. Not planing to have anyone over during that period to help out. However, I’ll be back on Tuesday only for few hours to feed the fish check water and adjust dosing if necessary and I’ll be gone for few days again. 

Should I be concern about wellbeing of my stock??? I’m not stressing too much but you never know....

A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

What type of fish are they?

Clowns, firefish and Circus goby. I’m not worry about Tailspot as it can graze on LR during that time. 

29 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Clowns, firefish and Circus goby. I’m not worry about Tailspot as it can graze on LR during that time. 

They will be fine with out food.. I do 4 days all the time

• Like 1
A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, Weikel said:

They will be fine with out food.. I do 4 days all the time

Good to know. I was just a bit worry. 

Should I feed a bit more before leaving or it doesn’t matter? 

8 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Good to know. I was just a bit worry. 

Should I feed a bit more before leaving or it doesn’t matter? 

I dont know if it really matters when I was a kid I would forget to feed for well over a week and they lived haha. Is it right no, but I feed mostly pellets and before I leave now I feed heavy on frozen just bc it makes me feel better. Also I feed before I walk out of the door and when I get home so really it's only like 2 to 3 days without food. Truthfully they can go weeks without us feeding but that's kinda mean

• Like 1
A Little Blue
14 minutes ago, Weikel said:

I dont know if it really matters when I was a kid I would forget to feed for well over a week and they lived haha. Is it right no, but I feed mostly pellets and before I leave now I feed heavy on frozen just bc it makes me feel better. Also I feed before I walk out of the door and when I get home so really it's only like 2 to 3 days without food. Truthfully they can go weeks without us feeding but that's kinda mean

The only fish that I ever had that could go weeks without feeding was Anglerfish. I don’t think I would dare to try that with these guys. 😉

2 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

The only fish that I ever had that could go weeks without feeding was Anglerfish. I don’t think I would dare to try that with these guys. 😉

Clowns will live for months or they will eat the rest of your fish haha

• Like 1
A Little Blue
6 hours ago, Weikel said:

Clowns will live for months or they will eat the rest of your fish haha

Well then, I am definitely overfeeding. 🤣

15 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Thanks. I am leaving tomorrow afternoon and will be back Tuesday afternoon. Not planing to have anyone over during that period to help out. However, I’ll be back on Tuesday only for few hours to feed the fish check water and adjust dosing if necessary and I’ll be gone for few days again. 

Should I be concern about wellbeing of my stock??? I’m not stressing too much but you never know....

I would be more worried about something unexpected happening while you’re away like a power failure...  I think someone just posted that happening during his/her shorter trip. Which would be an argument in favor of just having a neighbor pop in once a day to make sure your pumps are on and temp is normal. 

4 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I would be more worried about something unexpected happening while you’re away like a power failure...  I think someone just posted that happening during his/her shorter trip. Which would be an argument in favor of just having a neighbor pop in once a day to make sure your pumps are on and temp is normal. 

This is where controllers are beautiful.  Redundancies for equipment failures, plus the ability to look in on my tank at any time and know it at least has power and is at temp.  

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, specore said:

This is where controllers are beautiful.  Redundancies for equipment failures, plus the ability to look in on my tank at any time and know it at least has power and is at temp.  

What kind of setup do you have @specore?

3 minutes ago, banasophia said:

What kind of setup do you have @specore?

Apex Classic.  Saved my butt one year when we were on vacation.  Thermostat was set to heat because highs had been hitting upper 50's.  Then suddenly outside temps went to 70's while we were gone.  Apex sent me an alert that tank temp had exceeded the set max, so was able to call the neighbor to go switch on the a/c.

• Like 1