Cultivated Reef

Fish Sitter - Going Rate?

banasophia

Hi All, I’m going on vacation next week and I’m having a guy from my LFS stop in to check on and feed my fish once/day. Do you think $25 is a reasonable amount to offer per visit? Thanks!

10 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Hi All, I’m going on vacation next week and I’m having a guy from my LFS stop in to check on and feed my fish once/day. Do you think $25 is a reasonable amount to offer per visit? Thanks!

That depends on how far the travel is. Next door neighbor that is fair. If they gonna fire up the car you should double it. 

Edit: Unless this guy is on the company clock while doing so. If he is that’s a fair price.

Edit again: Unless he’s having to use his personal vehicle cause that’s no longer a tax write off in which case you should tip him an extra 25 bucks a day. 

• Like 1

Thanks @1891Bro, I always appreciate your quick replies. 🙂 I’m on my way to the LFS right now to talk with the guy. He said my place is on his way to work at the LFS, he passes right by my neighborhood, so he’s just going to stop in on his way to/from. Maybe I’ll offer $30 per visit, that’s what I pay for a drop in dog sitter visit for my two goldens. 

23 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Thanks @1891Bro, I always appreciate your quick replies. 🙂 I’m on my way to the LFS right now to talk with the guy. He said my place is on his way to work at the LFS, he passes right by my neighborhood, so he’s just going to stop in on his way to/from. Maybe I’ll offer $30 per visit, that’s what I pay for a drop in dog sitter visit for my two goldens. 

I don’t know you’re financial situation so please don’t assume I do by my comments. I figure this guy is prolly on minimum wage (whatever that might be in your area) at the fish store. Now, let’s assume you take two one week vacations a year. So, if you’re the guy/gal regular at the fish store that pays $50 per visit to tanksit how do you think that equates in quality of service? Those guys will be fighting each other for your high opinion every time you visit that store. It could even lead to in store discounts later. You’ll be the “fifty dollar a visit tank sitter guy/gal”. Spend now, save later. You’re welcome for quick replies. 

Edit: Frame of reference. In my teens I worked at a car wash and pizza delivery. All of us remembered the good tippers. It never got physical but, we all wanted those cars or addresses. Consider it a long term investment. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

That depends on how far the travel is. Next door neighbor that is fair. If they gonna fire up the car you should double it. 

Edit: Unless this guy is on the company clock while doing so. If he is that’s a fair price.

Edit again: Unless he’s having to use his personal vehicle cause that’s no longer a tax write off in which case you should tip him an extra 25 bucks a day. 

50 bucks cash a day nan that's nuts tax free too.. how about 20 bucks and a case of brewsikis in the fridge.. 

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, Weikel said:

50 bucks cash a day nan that's nuts tax free too.. how about 20 bucks and a case of brewsikis in the fridge.. 

So they sue ya for getting them all drunk before they leave a job and land a dui or worse?

I pay more than that per hour for a trustworthy babysitter. 

Personally, for a week I wouldn’t even bother unless I was without ATO. But in the end you get what you pay for. You wanna be some pain in the ass that gives pissant money for a daily detour that might delay the person you hired from their more sought after activities, or would you rather be the guy that pays top dollar for a few minutes work so the guy you hired doesn’t see it as a hassle and wants to do an awesome job so they can get the gig again later?

Edit: regarding the babysitter comment. I pay more than what I said per visit per hour for a sitter. 

Edot again: regarding the tax thing you just have to claim what you paid them as an employee (and get their SSN) and they’ll be on the hook for taxes and SS. Good luck getting them to come again next year. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

So they sue ya for getting them all drunk before they leave a job and land a dui or worse?

I pay more than that per hour for a trustworthy babysitter. 

Personally, for a week I wouldn’t even bother unless I was without ATO. But in the end you get what you pay for. You wanna be some pain in the ass that gives pissant money for a daily detour that might delay the person you hired from their more sought after activities, or would you rather be the guy that pays top dollar for a few minutes work so the guy you hired doesn’t see it as a hassle and wants to do an awesome job so they can get the gig again later?

Edit: regarding the babysitter comment. I pay more than what I said per visit per hour for a sitter. 

Edot again: regarding the tax thing you just have to claim what you paid them as an employee (and get their SSN) and they’ll be on the hook for taxes and SS. Good luck getting them to come again next year. 

I would hope you pay your baby sitter more than you pay someone to watch your fish . and to feed some fish and add a cup of water 50 bucks a day is nuts. I pay less than than to kennel 2 large dogs per day.. I what I was saying it is obviously a cash only job so paying some one 25 bucks for less than one hour is more like 32 bucks any hour. I wouldn't pay any one that kind of cash for 15 mins of easy work. 

But you are right on one front that if you are going on vacation for a week the fish and coral should be fine if you have an ato..

NOTE: I still wouldn't trust some random lfs guy in my house when I am on vacation either . I would get a friend , neighbor,  or family to do it..

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Weikel said:

NOTE: I still wouldn't trust some random lfs guy in my house when I am on vacation either . I would get a friend , neighbor,  or family to do it..

This. 100%. 

And if if I was only getting 32 an hour I’d quit my job and look into panhandling. Thems slave wages these days 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

This. 100%. 

And if if I was only getting 32 an hour I’d quit my job and look into panhandling. Thems slave wages these days 

Nan just where you live it is. Most of the country doesn't pay 800k for a 1000 sq foot home bruh.. 😋

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

Still is in this case...thanks for playing

Your Friendly NR Community CPA

1 minute ago, Weikel said:

Nan just where you live it is. Most of the country doesn't pay 800k for a 1000 sq foot home bruh.. 😋

lol...so true

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Weikel said:

If you found a place like that on Zillow or something link it. That’s a crazy good deal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks so much everyone, for your input - very helpful!!! Yeah, @1891Bro you have some crazy costs of living in San Jose, for sure... no comparison to Sac. 

I feel like I got some great info so I’m prepared for my conversation with my LFS guy when he comes to see my setup on Sunday. Based on my experience while having my husband take care of my tank when I’ve been out of town a night or two in the past, I really want someone with direct reef tank experience rather than an inexperienced friend or neighbor. This guy is the manager at the LFS, I’ve seen photos of his gorgeous tanks, and he’s the local person I call (at his store) when I think I have a fish tank emergency. I am optimistic my tanks will be in good hands. 

Thanks again for your replies!!!

6 hours ago, banasophia said:

Thanks so much everyone, for your input - very helpful!!! Yeah, @1891Bro you have some crazy costs of living in San Jose, for sure... no comparison to Sac. 

I feel like I got some great info so I’m prepared for my conversation with my LFS guy when he comes to see my setup on Sunday. Based on my experience while having my husband take care of my tank when I’ve been out of town a night or two in the past, I really want someone with direct reef tank experience rather than an inexperienced friend or neighbor. This guy is the manager at the LFS, I’ve seen photos of his gorgeous tanks, and he’s the local person I call (at his store) when I think I have a fish tank emergency. I am optimistic my tanks will be in good hands. 

Thanks again for your replies!!!

Honestly I would just ask him.  My guess is he would probably do it for less then $25/day, especially if it is on his way to work.  I mean what are we talking about, 15 minutes?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, specore said:

Honestly I would just ask him.  My guess is he would probably do it for less then $25/day, especially if it is on his way to work.  I mean what are we talking about, 15 minutes?

Yeah, I asked him before but he didn’t give an answer... asked him last night to think about what seems good and we will discuss on Sunday. I’m leaning toward $30 per visit if routine, and then $50 extra if he ends up having to do a water change (which hopefully he won’t have to do since it’s only one week). Since I’ve had 3 dog sitters that have all charged $30 per visit, that seems like a good rate to offer (we pay $20 per visit for our pool guy). 

I'd recommend having them do as little as possible.  Just do a water change prior to leaving, and one when you get home.  The less they do, the less that can go wrong.

• Like 4

I've never paid for "fish sitting" - if you are in an apartment and don't know your neighbors, make friends in the reefing community and trade with them. They pop in a few times, feed the fish, refill the ATO and you do the same when they go on vacation. Leave beer in the fridge, leave a frag for them, etc.

Or, if you are in a house and know your neighbors well (as you should), have them pop in and do the same. I watch my neighbors houses when they are out of town and they do the same for me. Just a thanks and invite them to your next BBQ (though they are already probably invited) or take them out to dinner. This is what neighbors do.

$350 for literally an hour of work is more than I pay my attorney.

• Haha 1

To feed and top up the tank...

I think $50 a visit is steep. It doesn't cost that to kennel a dog or put a cat in a kitty spa. Dog walkers/sitters don't even charge $20/hr.

Minimum wage is $14/hr here, so that's what I would pay and if the job was done well, they'd get a tip.

I'd also have some sort of video surveillance on my tank.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

To feed and top up the tank...

I think $50 a visit is steep. It doesn't cost that to kennel a dog or put a cat in a kitty spa. Dog walkers/sitters don't even charge $20/hr.

Minimum wage is $14/hr here, so that's what I would pay and if the job was done well, they'd get a tip.

I'd also have some sort of video surveillance on my tank.

1 hour ago, jservedio said:

I've never paid for "fish sitting" - if you are in an apartment and don't know your neighbors, make friends in the reefing community and trade with them. They pop in a few times, feed the fish, refill the ATO and you do the same when they go on vacation. Leave beer in the fridge, leave a frag for them, etc.

Or, if you are in a house and know your neighbors well (as you should), have them pop in and do the same. I watch my neighbors houses when they are out of town and they do the same for me. Just a thanks and invite them to your next BBQ (though they are already probably invited) or take them out to dinner. This is what neighbors do.

$350 for literally an hour of work is more than I pay my attorney.

Right???  As I type this there is a company poop scooping my back yard right now for $12, and that is a way worse job than topping off and feeding a tank.

• Like 1

I personally would call a couple of companies who do tank maintenance professionally.  You never know what you are getting into when you let someone you barely know into your home.  I would feel much better about a company which was bonded than even my favorite LFS people.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, specore said:

I personally would call a couple of companies who do tank maintenance professionally.  You never know what you are getting into when you let someone you barely know into your home.  I would feel much better about a company which was bonded than even my favorite LFS people.  

Ya, that's the route I would take too.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, specore said:

Good point. Will probably do that next time... the guy is from an LFS that does tank maintenance... I was thinking they would only do long term contracted maintenance so I didn’t think of checking if the company could do just a one week thing, I just asked the guy individually if he could do it. (He is the only one at the LFS I would trust to do it.)

I am a pet sitter on the side.

I do single dog walks- up to an hour of play time/visit/feeding for $15-$25.

Overnight visits I charge $50-75, depends on the dog(s), other animals, etc etc.

Just to check on things, fill ATO and feeding- estimate 10-15 minute visit (less if the ATO doesn't need daily top off)- and if they're on my way to work where gas isn't extra, I'd probably charge $10-15 per visit

if it requires more work (in addition to taking in mail, watering plants, multiple tanks) or driving out of my way, then a little more. I can't imagine anyone paying me $50 per day to take care of the tank, it's insane.

• Like 3