Innovative Marine Aquariums

Total noob in crisis!

Ayorde

Hi everyone! Kind of a long story, but I’ll try to be as brief as possible. Please stay with me! Lol 

i set set up my 37gal tank back in May. Started the tank with 2 clowns, dragon goby, yellow tailed damsel, blue sided fairy wrasse, and a neon dottyback. Not all at the same time. Live rock, live sand. The wrasse was sold to me sick and didn’t make it. Had to get rid of the dottyback because, well, he was a jerk and no one told me! Everyone else has been fine. I added a tang recently. The Tang caught what I and my LFS think is ich. Little white specks all over him. But he was still eating like a champ and swimming just fine. Yesterday, I noticed he had some dark purple/black blotches on him. Weird thing is they were going away and reappearing other places on him within minutes. I’d walk away, check on him 20 minutes later and the blotches would be in totally different spots. I called my LFS and they said it’s probably just a secondary infection from the ich and as long as he was still eating and swimming, not to do anything different. Well today he’s been laying on his side next to a rock almost all day. He came out to eat, but I don’t think he got more than one or two pieces in his mouth. And now my Goby has been laying in his den all day and his color is weird. He came out to eat and swim around a bit, but not as much as usual. I don’t see any spots on him. LFS is closed today, so I’m going to be there as soon as they open tomorrow. Just thought I’d ask here to see if anyone had any opinions. 

All my water parameters have have been perfect, even salinity. 

Also, this may be completely unrelated but I’ve noticed a bunch of little brown logs on top of my sand. I’ll attach a pic, but it’s hard to see. Not sure if it’s some sort of parasite or just someone’s weird poos! Lol 

any help will will be appreciated!

1386AC02-27A1-4C07-AAC9-B0B93240819E.jpeg

435388B1-BEAB-444A-87B7-22644704B694.jpeg

Sorry you're in crisis.  I've never seen anything fitting the description you gave, so afraid I don't have any advice to give.  You could work on setting up a hospital tank so if you get a diagnosis you are ready to start treating immediately.  However, I suspect by the time you identify the culprit it will probably be too late.  

Thanks Specore. I think I’ll do that tomorrow. It might be too late for the Tang, although I really hope not. But I have hope for my goby. He just started acting weird today. I had a long talk with him and begged him to hang in there until tomorrow! Lol

TBH, your tank is too small for any tang.  Plus, it sounds like it won't make it, sorry.

Ich can be a relentless parasite, especially in a nano tank.  Treating infected fish in a hospital tank while your reef tank is fallow for 6 to 8 weeks is probably the best option.

I can't tell from the pics what the dark spots are.  Could it be activated carbon?  It also looks like you have cyano developing on the sand bed.  This is usually due to a buildup of organics, but low flow, over feeding, overdue maintenance, light issues, or a bacterial imbalance might also be contributing.

Unfortunately, the tank is not an appropriate size for a tang.

Tangs needs 70g or more and are susceptible to ich, especially in overcrowded small conditions.

Now that ich is present in your tank, the only course of action to save your fish and prevent reinfection- is removing all fish into a hospital tank, treating them for ich, and your main tank must go fishless for 8 weeks.

As a new hobbiest, the best advice we all give is do a lot of research and the LAST place you trust for proper info is your local fish store.

Clearly yours has already steered you in the wrong direction with many fish.

59 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Unfortunately, the tank is not an appropriate size for a tang.

Tangs needs 70g or more and are susceptible to ich, especially in overcrowded small conditions.

Now that ich is present in your tank, the only course of action to save your fish and prevent reinfection- is removing all fish into a hospital tank, treating them for ich, and your main tank must go fishless for 8 weeks.

As a new hobbiest, the best advice we all give is do a lot of research and the LAST place you trust for proper info is your local fish store.

Clearly yours has already steered you in the wrong direction with many fish.

Yeah, I definitely got some bad advice. I won’t be going back to that store. I found out about my tank being much too small for a tang after the fact. I have a friend with a 125gal who said she’ll take him if I can get him back. Set him up in a hospital tank today. He’s been swimming around a little more. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice everyone. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ayorde said:

Yeah, I definitely got some bad advice. I won’t be going back to that store. I found out about my tank being much too small for a tang after the fact. I have a friend with a 125gal who said she’ll take him if I can get him back. Set him up in a hospital tank today. He’s been swimming around a little more. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice everyone. 

The problem is, just treating him doesn't get rid of the ich in your tank, so your other fish and any new additions can/will be infected.

I count seven fish in three months give or take. Sounds a lot like too much too fast. If it is ich all your fish have it regardless of them showing symptoms. Ditch the tang. Treat the rest in a separate tank and reintroduce after 8 weeks. Giant pain in the ass, but it will fix it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Put everyone in QT, treating the tank, the tang is better and in his big tank, and all is well! Not adding any other fish for a while! I’ve also been asking advice from experienced people, NOT the lfs that gave me all the bad info! Thanks again!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ayorde said:

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Put everyone in QT, treating the tank, the tang is better and in his big tank, and all is well! Not adding any other fish for a while! I’ve also been asking advice from experienced people, NOT the lfs that gave me all the bad info! Thanks again!

What are you treating the tank with?

The vast majority of meds are not reef safe.