Coral Vue Hydros

Cheve's 2.6 Gallon Pico

ajkochev

• 8 months later...

July 2020 update.  I managed to loose a few Montipora and other SPS a couple of months ago.  I slacked off a bit on maintenance and I think that is what did it, along with not being able to keep up with alk and calcium needs, to spite Kalk+2 ATO and two part dosing.  Think I'll try some more acans and zoes as they are doing really well.  Some of the red monti is making a comeback.

Tank01-7-2020.jpg

Tank02-7-2020.jpg

Tank03-7-2020.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
Snow_Phoenix
17 hours ago, ajkochev said:

July 2020 update.  I managed to loose a few Montipora and other SPS a couple of months ago.  I slacked off a bit on maintenance and I think that is what did it, along with not being able to keep up with alk and calcium needs, to spite Kalk+2 ATO and two part dosing.  Think I'll try some more acans and zoes as they are doing really well.  Some of the red monti is making a comeback.

Tank01-7-2020.jpg

Tank02-7-2020.jpg

Tank03-7-2020.jpg

Whoa. Another 2.6G! Awesome! :happy:

Love the amount of growth you have going on - those zoas are insane! 😮 

The tiny clownfish also looks cute! 🙂 

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

What an amazing update after two years! 😲

Great to see you @ajkochev!

What has your maintenance routine been like for your pico reef? Montipora can be such fast growers, do you think they just outgrew what the pico reef could handle? I like the sound of your plans moving forward, some zoanthids on the front rock could be a nice addition. 

• Like 1

I think it was my inability to keep up with Alk that did in the SPS.  I had 7 different kinds in this tank at once.  Four SPS in there still.  

Maintenance is:

2 cup water change twice weekly

Kalk+2 ATO with Distilled Water

Daily Reef Fusion two part

Feed a few drops twice a day a homemade puree mix of several commercial reef and grocery store foods.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
On 7/22/2020 at 10:35 AM, ajkochev said:

I think it was my inability to keep up with Alk that did in the SPS.  I had 7 different kinds in this tank at once.  Four SPS in there still.  

Maintenance is:

2 cup water change twice weekly

Kalk+2 ATO with Distilled Water

Daily Reef Fusion two part

Feed a few drops twice a day a homemade puree mix of several commercial reef and grocery store foods.

Yeah, makes sense, once they take off growing in these small tanks, it can be hard to keep up with their demands. The 4 remaining are surely more hardy though, it will be cool to watch them grow out again. Keep up the good work!

• 10 months later...

How are you keeping your GSP contained? I just added some and, while I'm willing to put the work in to trim it, it also looks like your shrooms are situated to help keep them in their place.

1 hour ago, IKATL said:

How are you keeping your GSP contained? I just added some and, while I'm willing to put the work in to trim it, it also looks like your shrooms are situated to help keep them in their place.

Honestly, I don't know.  That rock started life in a 0.5 gal pico and the GSP grew like a weed.  Since I moved it to this 3 gal in 2018, the GPS has maintained itself without much growth.  I'm unsure why.  The mushrooms on the other hand that moved with the rock have multiplied really well. 

• Like 1
On 6/5/2018 at 8:40 PM, ajkochev said:

The next adventure starts today!  6-5-2018

Tank:   Aquamaxx 2.6 gallon 12x7x7 inches
Light:  Aquamaxx Prism 300
Filter: AIO overflow and chambers made with .30 inch Black Styrene made for an end to make a penisula tank.
 with Two VicTsing Ultra Quiet 80 GPH powerheads.

The tank will have a reverse refugium powered by a couple of USB lights. I like the Walmart Hex 5 Filter pads and will have an area for one of these and space for Chem Pure Blue and Phosguard.  There is a lot to do before the tank starts cycling.  I need to make the overflow first.  I'm going to test the heat produced by the light for a few weeks as it would be best if I could make a hood for this.  We will see if this is doable with the right ventilation.  Second pic is of the tank with water to check for leaks and to play with the light.

Start01_6-2018.JPG

Start02_6-2018.JPG

Awesome looking tank! How does a reverse refugium work? I'm having trouble visualizing how the water flows through the AIO partition. I don't think I've ever seen styrene used as a partition before, did you just glue it together with superglue? I've heard anecdotes of acrylic inserts absorbing water, expanding and cracking the walls of glass tanks. Any concern of expansion with the styrene? Thanks!

This photo might help.  Water comes in on the left, through the filter media.  Down to the bottom refugium over to the right and out the powerhead.   Cheato in the refugium is covered with a plastic netting from the craft store(cross stitch?) to keep it in place.  AIO-6-2021.thumb.jpg.3c7825f871bc473daec51bdbad572e23.jpgThis is the third revision.  This time I used 2mm thick black styrene and made sure to use perfect right angles cutting.  I use super glue to hold everything together and haven't had any expanding issues.

• Like 3