Top Shelf Aquatics

Why is my toadstool depressed??

chunkylovah

chunkylovah

When I first got it, it was happy and it's polyps were extended. Then it shed. Then it got happy again. But for the passed 2 months it's looked dead again. I recently placed it in a higher flow area and this is the best it's looked in a while but it isn't getting any better now. There also seems to be algae on the base of it... oh and my nitrates slightly less than 10 ppm. Any advice is appreciated!

20180605_121645.jpg

Leathers do this frequently, especially toadstool.

They don't like direct flow or direct high light.

They do enjoy turbulent flow that helps keep detritus off of them

• Like 1
Kellie in CA

They are moody little things.  I had one that literally stayed closed for over a year.  Almost tossed it several times.  Then one day it opened up and now it is the Godzilla coral taking over my tank.

• Like 1

They are very temperamental when I kept them. Are you able to carefully remove the algae off the base?  Could be a sign it’s degrading there—feeding the algae.

Once you pick a good spot, try to leave it there, takes a while for them to settle back in if flow and light change.

What other corals do you have?  Any near it or been near it?  When was the last shed ?

• Like 1
A Little Blue
55 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Leathers do this frequently, especially toadstool.

They don't like direct flow or direct high light.

They do enjoy turbulent flow that helps keep detritus off of them

Not a a rule @Clown79

My L gets mix of direct & random flow (%95 of KPS pump at times). 

And it’s directly under one of my A160 lights (about “2 from water surface). 

But they do require slow acclimation to tolerate and thrive in these conditions. 

0F7FC538-4438-4260-8D97-E0B086E60322.thumb.jpeg.d6b6644fc3fab191983db2b70b838456.jpeg

• Like 1

Leathers are finicky like that. I have two Sinularias that are JUST opening up after about 2-3 weeks. My toadstool leather closes up every few weeks and sheds. I would not worry tbh

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Not a a rule @Clown79

My L gets mix of direct & random flow (%95 of KPS pump at times). 

And it’s directly under one of my A160 lights (about “2 from water surface). 

But they do require slow acclimation to tolerate and thrive in these conditions. 

0F7FC538-4438-4260-8D97-E0B086E60322.thumb.jpeg.d6b6644fc3fab191983db2b70b838456.jpeg

I never said it was a rule- where did I state it was a rule?

out of all the leathers have had my experience with them was what I was offering...the whole point of a forum is offering your knowledge and experience.

What people choose to do with it, is their choice.

Turbulent water movement is random water movement.

A lot of leathers kept directly under light often as they get bigger will start to hang, or even get white mushy spots of flesh.

The worst thing you can do is keep moving it, touching it.

A Little Blue
22 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I never said it was a rule- where did I state it was a rule?

out of all the leathers have had my experience with them was what I was offering...the whole point of a forum is offering your knowledge and experience.

What people choose to do with it, is their choice.

Turbulent water movement is random water movement.

A lot of leathers kept directly under light often as they get bigger will start to hang, or even get white mushy spots of flesh.

The worst thing you can do is keep moving it, touching it.

It was my observation not a quote. 

Not sure why you feel attacked....

6 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

It was my observation not a quote. 

Not sure why you feel attacked....

I don't feel attacked.

But you did quote me so I responded

A Little Blue

Well, I felt that you got just a bit defensive. And I don’t question your experience with Leathers.... All that I’m saying is that they are adoptable to various conditions. After all, they come from shallow flats of reef lagoons. And we all know what that means. 

I do agree that they hate to be move around and it takes a while for them to adjust to various light and flow conditions. 

Perhaps, that’s why we come across some issue after bringing leathers home from a completely different environment. 

It’s also species depended. Sinularia or my Ultra Electric Green Toadstool are definitely more tolerable to higher flow/light. While typical brown or darker shade species might not do so well under exactly the same conditions. 

Again, it’s just my opinion based on my experience and few articles that touched on this issues. 

Just to throw something out there bc it tool me awhile to realise how important alklinty stability is.. everytime one of my corals acts weird it is due to my alk dropping.. after I fix that everything goes back to normal.. oh and most of the time it's just one coral that I see being effected.. and not the same one everytime.. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
chunkylovah
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, Aurortpa said:

They are very temperamental when I kept them. Are you able to carefully remove the algae off the base?  Could be a sign it’s degrading there—feeding the algae.

Once you pick a good spot, try to leave it there, takes a while for them to settle back in if flow and light change.

What other corals do you have?  Any near it or been near it?  When was the last shed ?

Just some palys and a torch, but nothing is near it. It shed about 2 months ago. I think your right. It is looking better then it has ever since i moved it and it has only been like 3 weeks. As always with this hobby, I guess I'll let lady time do her thing... lol

chunkylovah
10 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Well, I felt that you got just a bit defensive. And I don’t question your experience with Leathers.... All that I’m saying is that they are adoptable to various conditions. After all, they come from shallow flats of reef lagoons. And we all know what that means. 

I do agree that they hate to be move around and it takes a while for them to adjust to various light and flow conditions. 

Perhaps, that’s why we come across some issue after bringing leathers home from a completely different environment. 

It’s also species depended. Sinularia or my Ultra Electric Green Toadstool are definitely more tolerable to higher flow/light. While typical brown or darker shade species might not do so well under exactly the same conditions. 

Again, it’s just my opinion based on my experience and few articles that touched on this issues. 

Yeah, I originally had mine in an indirect low-med flow area and polyps have been fully retracted for months. Now I've moved it into med-high indirect flow and the polyps are starting to come out veeeery slowly. So I am thinking that might have been it. Probably will also keep an eye on my alk too, as @Weikel has suggested.

burtbollinger

Had a leather pull this in my tank...didn’t open for 10 months.  Ditched it...probably for the best anyway. At the end....I absolutely hated it and I think I’m off leathers permanently.  Too much trouble for too little reward 

chunkylovah
3 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

Had a leather pull this in my tank...didn’t open for 10 months.  Ditched it...probably for the best anyway. At the end....I absolutely hated it and I think I’m off leathers permanently.  Too much trouble for too little reward 

Yeah, honestly I think if it doesn't start perking up in another month or two, I might just let it go.  Also wanted to say your RS 170 build is actually one of like 3 tank builds that got me into the hobby, so yeah thanks for your assistance in the destruction of my bank account Lol

• Like 2

Toadstool are nice corals but they are grumpy corals. They also grow very quickly.

Never really had my leathers react to alk changes, mostly stony corals react to alk as they need it for their growth.

If you want a leather that's stands out and never grumpy- green nepthea.

burtbollinger
8 hours ago, chunkylovah said:

Yeah, honestly I think if it doesn't start perking up in another month or two, I might just let it go.  Also wanted to say your RS 170 build is actually one of like 3 tank builds that got me into the hobby, so yeah thanks for your assistance in the destruction of my bank account Lol

lol thanks man, thats awesome.  RE your bank account...if its any consolation, it was a large expense at the beginning, but once you get the tank filled...it gets WAY cheaper.  Still on the hunt for a few final perfect corals, but other than that, my only expenses are 2-part solution, salt mix and Hanna solution.

lobster876

What do why is toadstool what is? Oh yes, the toadstool put on top of how do depressed. Also, you might want to grab one when do how do I have. On top of that, what do whenever why do you how? 

chunkylovah
2 hours ago, lobster876 said:

What do why is toadstool what is? Oh yes, the toadstool put on top of how do depressed. Also, you might want to grab one when do how do I have. On top of that, what do whenever why do you how? 

Awesome, this is the answer I was looking for. Thanks! lol

4 hours ago, lobster876 said:

x2 lol

A Little Blue
5 hours ago, lobster876 said:

If this won’t get your Leather to open up, nothing will. 

• Like 2
  • 5 years later...