Coral Vue Hydros

Is keeping a "Mixed Reef" unrealistic for a beginner?

Zach W

@banasophia

If you had taken the contents of the bag and poured them into a clear container, then gone into a dark room, put a black background then shined a white flash light thru the clear glass Jair, THEN you would have seen white things with your naked eyes.

In small tanks the one thing that can be difficult with a mixed reef is flow.

Lps like low to moderate, while sps like tons of flow. 

Monti's are fairly easy corals, 

8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

In small tanks the one thing that can be difficult with a mixed reef is flow.

Lps like low to moderate, while sps like tons of flow. 

Monti's are fairly easy corals, 

Yeah that was my concern. The main SPS I want is a Monti or two so that is good to hear. I love the visual aspect that euphyllia give and like most LPS in general.

• 3 years later...

so trying to read up on this topic and google brought me to this thread. I find myself at a crossroads. Initially I thought I'd be content to stick to softies, but now debating whether to buy that bluish-green stylo i saw at the LFS. I don't know if adding this will mean I'll have to radically step up my testing and husbandry. So, anyone ever do a stylo in a softie tank? I feel maybe I already crossed the line by adding the acan. And don't want anything with long sweeper tentacles that are going to fight.

1 hour ago, rough eye said:

so trying to read up on this topic and google brought me to this thread. I find myself at a crossroads. Initially I thought I'd be content to stick to softies, but now debating whether to buy that bluish-green stylo i saw at the LFS. I don't know if adding this will mean I'll have to radically step up my testing and husbandry. So, anyone ever do a stylo in a softie tank? I feel maybe I already crossed the line by adding the acan. And don't want anything with long sweeper tentacles that are going to fight.

If it's cheap enough give it a try. 

Typically most people go from soft coral > lps >  hardy sps like montipora > acros

The jump from lps to sps usually entail some additional investment in lights and flow, possible macro element supplementation.

• Like 1
Bigals-nano-1

As long as you are willing to put the in the time to keep your parameters in check, which does become easier once you have calculated and fine tuned your daily dosing amounts, there is no reason to not give it a go. Start off with the cheaper and more hardy sps as already suggested and see how these go. This is what I have just recently done and so far things seem to be going ok.