Top Shelf Aquatics

Is keeping a "Mixed Reef" unrealistic for a beginner?

Zach W

My tank is coming up on 3 month of age and I am just starting to add livestock now. I will be adding two ocellaris clowns this week and then coral sporadically over time. I like the idea of keeping a "mixed reef" of everything from softies to SPS but I know all coral has different requirements and idea conditions for SPS can be detrimental to some softies (flow/light/nutrient level). Ive read that most true mixed reef are kept by very experienced reefers, so how do they accomplish this? 

I guess I am leaning towards a more LPS and softie tank, but I really like monti-caps and some SPS. My setup should allow me to grow any coral, I just want to make sure I am choosing a mix that make sense and give me the best chance for success. Also, should I start by adding one or two corals and making sure that they are happy or do most people just go for it and add multiple at a time when starting out? 

If you stay away from Acropora I think a mixed reef is doable.  Look at my 40 gallon tank of neglect.  KH swings all over the place, I manually dose, it's horribly mistreated and yet the corals I chose do fine.  If I put an Acro in my 40 it will brown and either stay brown or up and die.  

• Like 1
Cannedfish

I think it all comes down to your desired level of commitment. Diligent husbandry, while it can't replace experience, can in many ways make up for a lack there of. I'm certainly no expert and had little experience when I started, and while my mixed reef isn't necessarily a crowning success it isn't exactly a scum bucket either (relatively speaking). I think you will get out what you are willing to put in, and what you don't know (with the internet at your fingertips) you can certainly learn. 

• Like 4

I kind of  figure that your wanting to have a mixed reef is exactly what you should go for. Your at the starting point. From here you learn how to keep a mixed reef. Some corals will probably die along the way for various reasons but that is part of the process. Don't write anything off and just do your best to learn and try to make the best informed choices. You'll get there. Have fun with it. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Prophoss said:

I kind of  figure that your wanting to have a mixed reef is exactly what you should go for. Your at the starting point. From here you learn how to keep a mixed reef. Some corals will probably die along the way for various reasons but that is part of the process. Don't write anything off and just do your best to learn and try to make the best informed choices. You'll get there. Have fun with it. 

I would like to keep a combination of things for sure. I really like euphyllia, goniopora, mushrooms and some leathers, . I love monti-caps and some encrusting SPS. I am just trying to figure out how to best set up the tank to handle those. I hate the idea of letting things die from lack of experience but I know that is part of learning. Would you recommend creating "zones" in the tank for specific corals? I know euphyllia can sting others so to keep them separated if possible but I feel like too much segregation wouldn't look natural.

52 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

I think it all comes down to your desired level of commitment. Diligent husbandry, while it can't replace experience, can in many ways make up for a lack there of. I'm certainly no expert and had little experience when I started, and while my mixed reef isn't necessarily a crowning success it isn't exactly a scum bucket either (relatively speaking). I think you will get out what you are willing to put in, and what you don't know (with the internet at your fingertips) you can certainly learn. 

This is sage advice.  After 45 years of reef keeping I never moved past softies and LPS.  When I decided to get more involved, I was not interested in SPS.  Instead, I choose to go with ornamental macro,  filter feeders and sponges.  I have never looked back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Subsea said:

This is sage advice.  After 45 years of reef keeping I never moved past softies and LPS.  When I decided to get more involved, I was not interested in SPS.  Instead, I choose to go with ornamental macro,  filter feeders and sponges.  I have never looked back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Awesome tank! I have typically been drawn towards LPS & softies the most but I really want a monti-cap in the system. I know they are very hardy fir SPS so im hoping that will be fine with a little "dirtier" water for the softies and LPS

• Like 1

With respect to a certain order of adding coral, it doesn’t much matter.  Fish are very much more interacting than corals.  Coral can be repositioned to seperate aggression.   Not so with fish.

Take a look at el fabuloso's legendary pico.  He had a mixed reef and even had a monti cap and milli that grew together and did it all in a 3 gallon picotope.  Just take it slowly, and like another said, if you avoid acros you can probably definitely achieve a mixed reef.

A Little Blue

Caps are relatively easy (as easy as any LPS). There are other SPS corals that could be recommended for beginners. 

However, I would try to learn good husbandry, familiarity with water testing and necessary adjustments if/when needed, understanding basics of water chemistry and variety of filtration methods. Only then, I would advise to try more challenging corals and regiment that goes with it. 

7 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Caps are relatively easy (as easy as any LPS). There are other SPS corals that could be recommended for beginners. 

However, I would try to learn good husbandry, familiarity with water testing and necessary adjustments if/when needed, understanding basics of water chemistry and variety of filtration methods. Only then, I would advise to try more challenging corals and regiment that goes with it. 

I feel pretty comfortable with the chemistry aspect of reefing. I work as a chemist so I am comfortable with the testing and fundamental chemistry of reefing. As for husbandry I  plan on doing weekly cleaning and water changes at roughly 15-20% volume.

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, Zach W said:

I feel pretty comfortable with the chemistry aspect of reefing. I work as a chemist so I am comfortable with the testing and fundamental chemistry of reefing. As for husbandry I  plan on doing weekly cleaning and water changes at roughly 15-20% volume.

If you feel that you’re up for a challange then go for it. There are a lots of aspects of reefing. We are touching on just the very basics. 

2 hours ago, Zach W said:

Testing is but a small part.  Understanding what to do after testing is where experience means everything.  Be certain that on hobby forums, you will get conflicting answers.  I often err on the side of caution.  As I have gotten wiser, I realize the more I learn, the more I realize how complex biochemistry is and the more I don’t know.  

However, since you are a chemist, I say the water gets deep fast.  Get you some!

10 minutes ago, Subsea said:

Testing is but a small part.  Understanding what to do after testing is where experience means everything.  Be certain that on hobby forums, you will get conflicting answers.  I often err on the side of caution.  As I have gotten wiser, I realize the more I learn, the more I realize how complex biochemistry is and the more I don’t know.  

However, since you are a chemist, I say the water gets deep fast.  Get you some!

Oh I’ve seen that already! Haha just because I am comfortable with the testing and what the parameters mean and the chemistry I am still a total newb at the react part that you described. There are so many nuances for everything that it can be overwhelming at times haha. I haven’t had any livestock in my tank at all (minus cleanup crew) after almost 3 months because I’ve been trying to figure out and learn as much as much as I can in the hopes I don’t make a mistake and kill the tank animals! 

Before you add fish, I suggest you seed tank with live copepods from AlgaeBarn.  Also, to address rock rubble in one of your chambers.   Consider this area a refugium and maximize media for pods to colonize.

https://www.algaebarn.com/product/ap/

IMO, this is the best species of pod all around.  They have an all in one of three species to maximize diversity.  Both are good options.

2 minutes ago, Subsea said:

Before you add fish, I suggest you seed tank with live copepods from AlgaeBarn.  Also, to address rock rubble in one of your chambers.   Consider this area a refugium and maximize media for pods to colonize.

https://www.algaebarn.com/product/ap/

IMO, this is the best species of pod all around.  They have an all in one of three species to maximize diversity.  Both are good options.

Good to know, I was planning on adding two clowns tomorrow actually. You think I should seed before any fish additions though? I was thinking of adding a refugium to one of the chambers, or putting in a pump for an algae reactor in said chamber but wanted to see if I needed it first after increasing bioload. 

You have porus  rock and sand in your tank.  It would be of great benefit to have an established copepods population in as many places as possible to feed your tank.   Not only good as as a high protein diet, copepods are detrivores and herbivores.  They are janitors and live food and if given a chance they will establish sustainable populations.

If it were too late to get established in display, you always have the option to seed refugium chamber.  Pumps will feed copepods to the tank.  I have had a refugium with large amphipods and some would make it undamaged into display thru pump impellers.  Easy pickins for hungry fish.

If you read the technical description for Apocalypse Pods, you will see that as a janitor they are both detrivore and herbivore at different life cycle phases.  In their larvae stage they are food for filter feeders including coral.  In their adult free swimming stage they are food for fish.  

If if you are interested in using natural filtration to process inorganic nutrients into living coral and fish biomass, then you need to start at the bottom of the food chain.  These guys are the “gold standard”.  Let them do the work for you.

Is there an advantage to apocalypse pods versus the other pods they have at algae barn? Or a mix of pods? Also what size would you recommend for a tank my size?

This may be a dumb question but how does the mechanical filtration affect the pods ability to make it from the display to the back compartments? Can they make it through filter floss? 

I see no problem with introducing copepods into tank with clown fish.  Adult Clowns would look for larger food size than juvenile copepods.

2 minutes ago, Zach W said:

Is there an advantage to apocalypse pods versus the other pods they have at algae barn? Or a mix of pods? Also what size would you recommend for a tank my size?

This may be a dumb question but how does the mechanical filtration affect the pods ability to make it from the display to the back compartments? Can they make it through filter floss? 

Yes, they can make it thru the filter floss.  Perhaps I did not express myself correctly.  Introduce pods into your chambers past floss.  Eventually, they colonize everything.

With respect to your first question about differrent pods, you should read the links that I provided at AlgaeBarn.  It will answer your questions.  I gave you my recomendation.  You should read what Algae Barn

says.  That is what I did to make my decisions.  

You should do the same.

PSS:  understand this.  If conditions are correct, it only takes two to multiply.  So, to answer your question on how many to get.  Let your wallet tell you.  I suggest the smallest packs available.

A Little Blue

I would also add that you should (at least that’s what I do) turn off your return pump for a short period of time while introducing your pods. So they can attach to surface instead of getting blown back to the display part and become a quick meal. I would also do it after lights out. 

• Like 1
banasophia
1 hour ago, Zach W said:

I recently ordered apocalypse pods and they were not visible to the naked eye at all (at least to me). Personally I would order a different type next time since I like to be able to see them.