SaltCritters.com

Can't get NanoBox fan to turn on

Kellie in CA

Kellie in CA

I did send a note to Dave, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and could help me. I just set up my new Duo and I can not get the fan to turn on. The settings say it should be at 80%, and I did enable the fan in settings, but it hasn't turned on once.  Am I missing something? 

Thanks! 

Kellie in CA

Ok.  I guess it's just me. 

LED experts - what kind of damage can be done by running this light without the fan on?  I went ahead and turned it off for today while I wait to hear back from Dave.  But I have to get this thing working.  My husband thinks I'm being ridiculous, but it took me quite a while to save up for this thing and I don't want to burn up the bulbs.   

High output LEDs require cooling in order to not burn out.  If you are have already reached out to him that is your best bet.

If you absolutely need to run them and had a fan that could be positioned blow across the light I would say pull off the acrylic plate and have that external fan blow across it for cooling. This would likely be a less efficient method of cooling so I would say also reduce intensity temporarily to ensure heat does not get high enough to damage the LEDs.

Kellie in CA
51 minutes ago, MrJoel said:

High output LEDs require cooling in order to not burn out.  If you are have already reached out to him that is your best bet.

If you absolutely need to run them and had a fan that could be positioned blow across the light I would say pull off the acrylic plate and have that external fan blow across it for cooling. This would likely be a less efficient method of cooling so I would say also reduce intensity temporarily to ensure heat does not get high enough to damage the LEDs.

Thanks so much for the info!  I guess I will just have to put my Tide back on again until this can be sorted out.  This is really frustrating.

A Little Blue

Sounds frustrating enough. 

Slow response from manufacturer is concerning, whatever the issue or circumstances might be on his end. 

I believe Dave is on a trip out of the country, hence the slow response. I'm sure he will get it straightened out when he gets back.

Sorry for your misfortune.

mitten_reef
20 minutes ago, Copedog said:

I believe Dave is on a trip out of the country, hence the slow response. I'm sure he will get it straightened out when he gets back.

Sorry for your misfortune.

I can confirm this statement as I've been in touch with him on my custom order.  And he did inform me regarding an oversea trip to Asia that started last week (I can't recall the duration).  

21 hours ago, MrJoel said:

Maybe this post will help. 

@Kellie in CA  In the same thread quoted (specifically, here, https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/375052-tide-plus-m-fan-issue/?do=findComment&comment=5359762), Dave did mention that the fixture itself is a heatsink and can handle up to 70% power without fan.  I won't push it beyond 40-50% personally. It sounds like you're just starting a new tank. So if you just want light for ambient glow or visual, then that'd be the way to go.  If you're transferring, you might want to light-acclimate your livestock from lower power anyhow.   

20 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

Thanks so much for the info!  I guess I will just have to put my Tide back on again until this can be sorted out.  This is really frustrating.

I've ordered a few lights from Dave in the past, a few of them had issues right out of the box.  Nothing major, but whatever it was Dave took care of it right away.  I did received a light that the fan wasn't coming on,   After some inspection, I realized that the wiring inside was sticking out and not allowing the fan to move.  I pushed the wiring aside and took care of the issue.  Maybe unscrew the lid and take a look at the fans. 

Ahh he is on vacation that makes sense. When ever I contact Dave he is always responsive.  I am a small business owner myself and understand the need to unplug from time to time. Just a suggestion @DaveFason maybe set up an auto response via email when you get to take those rare vacations 😁

Kellie in CA

I did hear back from him and he is out of the country with limited access. He did what he could, but we will have to get this all figured out when he gets back. 

4 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

I did hear back from him and he is out of the country with limited access. He did what he could, but we will have to get this all figured out when he gets back. 

Do you have a Volt Meter to Ck if the current is going to the fan unit?  hey, are easy to use and come in a variety of prices starting as low as $10.00 at Lowes or Harbor freight.

Thanks for helping guys. I would not get NR website to work over seas. Weird! 

Kellie - I just sent a new response. 

-Dave

Kellie in CA
22 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Thanks for helping guys. I would not get NR website to work over seas. Weird! 

-Dave

Nothing has come through on my email yet, but I'll keep checking.  

Kellie in CA
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:46 AM, DaveFason said:

-Dave

24 hours later and I still haven't received.  Please resend.