Coral Vue Hydros

A sad start to a new tank

MrsPeet15

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

Helloween or Royal Urchin are both pretty nice IMO. I believe Royal urchin grows to max 3" and is usually sold at about half that size. 

I really like them but they give my husband serious heeby jeebies! He wasn’t happy when we went out to check out a reef in Malaysia when we were on holiday and there was masses of spiny urchins everywhere 😅

We really like tail spot blennies and they’re on our fish list so I guess we can give him a try, I hear they can be good algae grazers?

A Little Blue
14 minutes ago, MrsPeet15 said:

I really like them but they give my husband serious heeby jeebies! He wasn’t happy when we went out to check out a reef in Malaysia when we were on holiday and there was masses of spiny urchins everywhere 😅

We really like tail spot blennies and they’re on our fish list so I guess we can give him a try, I hear they can be good algae grazers?

Tailspot is good algae grazer but it's more of a proactive algae control than a cure. Cool working fish with a ton of personality.

56 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Tailspot is good algae grazer but it's more of a proactive algae control than a cure. Cool working fish with a ton of personality.

Yeah I like them They’re cute!

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
On 8/19/2018 at 11:56 AM, A Little Blue said:

On 8/19/2018 at 12:54 PM, MrsPeet15 said:

I had one for a week.....he disappeared and have no clue what happened. He was so awesome though and I miss him

21 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I had one for a week.....he disappeared and have no clue what happened. He was so awesome though and I miss him

No way did something eat him maybe? I had a trimma goby vanish in my 3g, absolutely no idea what happened to him Him, it was such a small tank that there was no way he could die in there and me not find a body. I think he jumped and one of the dogs got some free sushi 😕

so Ive tested my water again this week and everything is come back 0 except for some minute traces of nitrate, 2ppm. I know that GHA can consume Nitrate and Phosphate giving lower readings but is there any chance at all that the stuff I have is just there because it’s a new tank and there’s been some tasty nitrates in there for it to feed off? 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
9 minutes ago, MrsPeet15 said:

No way did something eat him maybe? I had a trimma goby vanish in my 3g, absolutely no idea what happened to him Him, it was such a small tank that there was no way he could die in there and me not find a body. I think he jumped and one of the dogs got some free sushi 😕

so Ive tested my water again this week and everything is come back 0 except for some minute traces of nitrate, 2ppm. I know that GHA can consume Nitrate and Phosphate giving lower readings but is there any chance at all that the stuff I have is just there because it’s a new tank and there’s been some tasty nitrates in there for it to feed off? 

Only possible thing is he jumped through the small gap I have in my top and the cat or dog got him or he died and my rock flower nem had dinner...it's a mystery for sure and it does suck.

A Little Blue
17 minutes ago, MrsPeet15 said:

Long time ago I had a school of those and yes, they love to jump. 

On 8/19/2018 at 12:54 PM, MrsPeet15 said:

They sure are. Got two of them. One in each tank. 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
30 minutes ago, MrsPeet15 said:

No way did something eat him maybe? I

I'm gonna say no cause I stock light lol. I have one clown fish so unless she got aggressive with him and beat him up but he was fine the day before. No torn fins or anything else wrong. He greeted me the day before his disappearance and was swimming around with the clown. I'm thinking carpet surfing followed by one of my animals having a snack.

Sounds that way. I do have a good top on my tank now so hopefully there will be no floor surfing or free snacks for the dogs!

I wanted to ask everyone’s opinion on wether I could add a tailspot and a royal gramma at the same time, would 2 fish likely over load the tank in a 100l if o put them in at the same time or will I be ok? I’ve checked in with the LFS and they have one of each for me so it looks like we’re taking the plunge this weekend and adding at least one fish! 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Little update:

Corals are all still doing nicely. I’ve lost all of my clean up crew except for one small Mithrax and my cowries.

Conch died, Larger mithrax died and the blood shrimp didn’t survive a messy shed.

GHA is absolutely overwhelming. Despite weekly 25% water changes for 8 weeks manually scrubbing and siphoning the blasted stuff, it just will not shift.

Ive turned the lights down as much as I can without upsetting the coral and shortened the lighting span.

I have ordered a red light so I can get some cheato going in the rear chamber and see if that helps me at all. I have a really healthy pod population and I keep spotting amphipods so I guess there’s a silver lining 🙄

Water test are all coming back well within normal paprams, but then I guess with so much GHA in there, phosphate and nitrate will do. 

*sigh

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

You could do peroxide dosing, or spot treatments, or removing rocks and doing a dip.

Peroxide works like a charm on gha.

Adding a bit of phosguard in your filtration will help as well.

The problem is, why do you have it? 

Gotta figure that out and fix the issue or it will just return.

Something is causing the nutrient issues.

I agree with Clown. If memory serves you had a problem with GHA previously which begs the question where’s the nutrient issue coming from? Is it a flow issue? Or perhaps the rock needs a good rip cleaning? Are you over feeding? Solve this question and you’ll solve the problem. Have u checked for TDS in your top off water?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

I agree with Clown. If memory serves you had a problem with GHA previously which begs the question where’s the nutrient issue coming from? Is it a flow issue? Or perhaps the rock needs a good rip cleaning? Are you over feeding? Solve this question and you’ll solve the problem. Have u checked for TDS in your top off water?

Ya, the cause needs to be corrected or all efforts of getting rid of it is a waste of time.

Something like maintenance of filter media/chambers/hob, not vacuuming sand, not Turkey basting rocks, over feeding, bad water quality being used for waterchange/top off 

I'm sure we can all help give some suggestions to get you free of this problem.

RayWhisperer

Well, this is unfortunate. If I may, I believe I can shed a little light on the cause. Please, correct me if I'm wrong. 

The old tank had issues due to a stack of sponges in one of the rear chambers. It was suggested by the manufacturer to leave them be, as a biological filter. This problem was corrected. 

This new tank was started from mostly dead, and bleached rock, with only a small amount of original seed rock taken from the old tank. Bleach was probably what killed the first inhabitants, but having a large amount of uncured rock (possibly phosphate loaded. I know you said you trusted your friend, but it is a pissubility.) coupled with stocking, and a full photoperiod. My guess is it was a receipe for disaster. 

Whatever the cause, drastic action needs to be taken, as well as (per others advice) a cause need be identified. Just throwing out what I believe are the two or three most obvious causes. 

• Like 1
On 10/5/2018 at 8:50 AM, vegasgundog said:

You could research fluconozale treatment for gha bryposis. I had great success when all seemed lost. 

Do you know if this is available in the uk?

Thanks for the reply guys.

its got to be phosphates I’m sure. Nitrates came back at 2ppm. I’ve got the tank on a 3 day blackout for now to see what I can do. I’ve been manually removing during weekly 25% water changes and the stuff is just doubling each week. My corals surprisingly look really good and are growing,  if it wasn’t for them I’d just pull the rock, re-cure and start again but I really don’t want to lose them if possible. They’re all stuck down so I can’t transfer them somewhere else whilst I start again. My skimmer is pulling out some really nasty almost black skimmate, and I haven’t fed the tank for almost 3 weeks to prevent any further rubbish building up in the system. I’ve been really really thorough with my water changes, scrubbing the rock with a toothbrush, vacuuming the sand and cleaning the rear chambers. I left it a long time before I stocked it as I was paranoid of losing everything as soon as I put it in so the algae definitely got ahead of my as a result. My plan is:

3 day black out 

reduce lighting further

stock some more clean up crew 

continue with 25% water changes 

is this the best course of action?

15 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

I could post a video of the tank to show flow?

If you are scrubbing the rocks in tank, it will further spread the gha unless you duck up every piece while scrubbing.

Nitrate and phos teste will be inaccurate as the gha is using it up.

What are you using for filtration and how often is it maintained.

What water are you using and have you tested the source.

Black out period may work but it will return until you locate the cause.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Clown79 said:

If you are scrubbing the rocks in tank, it will further spread the gha unless you duck up every piece while scrubbing.

Nitrate and phos teste will be inaccurate as the gha is using it up.

What are you using for filtration and how often is it maintained.

What water are you using and have you tested the source.

Black out period may work but it will return until you locate the cause.

I’ve been scrubbing using a toothbrush attached to a siphon hose so seemingly was sucking up everything I disturbed but I guess that isn’t guaranteed.

my RODI comes from my friend who has a RODI machine at home and uses the same water for her own tank. I haven’t tested this as I have no means to do so, but if the water was bad surely it would be having a dtremental effect on her tank too? I use a bubble magus skimmer which is cleaned each weekly water change.

Just keep monitoring your phosphates. I OD’d my tank with Phosguard (stupid noob mistake) and my zoas, Ricordia, and Acans weren’t at all happy. Thankfully I caught it and they recovered. Glad to hear your tank is recovering 😉

• Like 2