inTank Media Baskets

Clowns acting strange

zcain

Hello,

I have a 14 gallon biocube tank. I have had the same two clown fish for about 3 years now with no issues. About 2 weeks back I did a water change and my test kit was out/expired and my new one was about 2 days out. I thought nothing of it because I tested the salinity and it came back at a .024. Well before I was able to test the water the clowns began to swim sideways and along the bottom of the tank. I ran to the shop where they can test the water for me and my ammonia spiked to 7-8 ppm. The fish were about to die. I did an 8 gallon change that day slowly and then 4 more each day after that for 3 days. I am now testing and checking daily and everything is coming up normal. pH 8.1, nitrates and nitrates just at 0. calcium around 460. ammonia between 0 and 0.25. kH at 143.2. Temperature is at 78. The problem is the clowns are still swimming weird and not eating too much and it has been a week of near perfect parameters. The have no red in their mouth or gills which I know is something to look for. I am wondering if it was too late or if anyone has seen them make a recovery from this issue.

Thanks